Inflatable pillows, are they any good?

Drumber

Observer
I agree with what Outside Somewhere said. Get some cheap(ish) pillows from Target/Costco/WalMart and make sure you air them out after you camp.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I tried air pillow and didn't like it at all.

I found small sized pillows that are smaller than full size pillows and they work great. Otherwise I'd go with full size pillows.

LEVz_

Those camp pillows that fold in half are the worst things in the world. I think mine is made by Coleman and where the pillow folds (in the middle) there is no stuffing so your head just sinks to the floor.

WillBeck

Adventurer
I'm really curious about this as well. I've messed around with a few of them at REI, but my opinion is that an air pillow will simply never be as comfortable as what you've got at home.

My plan is to buy a really comfy stuff sack and toss a down jacket inside.

I have a small air pillow, and although it's nice, I've found this is the case as well. I simply bought a new pillow for home, and retired my trusted house pillow to the tent.

Another thing with air pillows is that if fully inflated, they're too hard. If partially inflated, the air "sloshes" as you move around, almost forcing you to sleep on your back. At least that's my experience.

Most house pillows can be forced into stuff sacks, or left inside the rtt (as I do), so size isn't really a huge concern for me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94