More positive press for the Frontier

Not bad for an eleven year old platform, but if it has any hope of even approaching the Tacoma, the Frontier better have a diesel option with the redesign.

mb1k

Observer
Well, I've been shopping all three; Tacoma, Colorado and Frontier. I wasn't even considering the Frontier because of stupid reasons like age, old design, etc. But I decided to drop in and take the Pro-4X for a spin and within two stop lights I looked at the salesman and said, "I didn't want to like this, but I hate to admit I like the way it drives, feels and handles better than the Tacoma".

For around $6K less in the Pro-4X with luxury trim (my pricing) against the TRD Off-Road, it's a no brainer. As soon as VW cuts me a buy back check in November for my Jetta I'll be adding the Frontier to the garage if nothing changes.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Well, I've been shopping all three; Tacoma, Colorado and Frontier. I wasn't even considering the Frontier because of stupid reasons like age, old design, etc. But I decided to drop in and take the Pro-4X for a spin and within two stop lights I looked at the salesman and said, "I didn't want to like this, but I hate to admit I like the way it drives, feels and handles better than the Tacoma".

For around $6K less in the Pro-4X with luxury trim (my pricing) against the TRD Off-Road, it's a no brainer. As soon as VW cuts me a buy back check in November for my Jetta I'll be adding the Frontier to the garage if nothing changes.

Nice! Good to see that you didn't give in to peer pressure lol. Nothing against Toyota, buthe it just goes to show there are other capable alternatives :)

deuxdiesel

Observer
It is a two-horse race with the Tacoma and the Frontier as the only available manual transmission/V6/4wd truck options. It has been interesting to watch all the banter on TacomaWorld about the Frontier, with so many calling it ugly, but the new Tacoma was called out on it's looks repeatedly. The real issue is more of value and build quality- lots of issues with the new Tacoma, mostly due to engine and transmission "improvements". I will looking for a new truck in January/February, so I hope the Frontier is still available and prices are competitive.

Mo4130

Adventurer

Literally same thing happened to me, I went in dead set for the Tacoma and drove them back to back and the Nissan was hands down the winner.

ne_dan

Literally same thing happened to me, I went in dead set for the Tacoma and drove them back to back and the Nissan was hands down the winner.

Same thing when I picked up my Pro-X Xterra last fall, not to mention I'm getting the same mileage that I got in my 04' 4cyl Tacoma regular cab. The Xterra is hands down more comfortable, capable, although I do miss having the pickup bed.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One of the things that strikes me about the Frontier is how few of them are for sale compared to similar model year Tacomas (at least on the used market but I suspect it's the same in the new vehicle market.) I haven't checked the numbers but it wouldn't surprise me if Frontier sales were outnumbered by Tacomas by at least a ratio of 5:1 if not more.
Which just makes me scratch my head and wonder why Nissan doesn't just make more trucks? It seems like they don't have any problems selling the vehicles they make, they just don't make enough to compete with Toyota on an equal basis.
I'll bet more Toyota buyers would be tempted to switch to Nissan if there were more available for them to buy. I don't know if Nissan is too cash-strapped to ramp up production but from both observation and experience (as a 4x Toyota owner) it seems that Toyota has taken it's "king of the hill" spot not so much by quality as by sheer volume.

outback97

Adventurer
One of the things that strikes me about the Frontier is how few of them are for sale compared to similar model year Tacomas (at least on the used market but I suspect it's the same in the new vehicle market.) I haven't checked the numbers but it wouldn't surprise me if Frontier sales were outnumbered by Tacomas by at least a ratio of 5:1 if not more.
Which just makes me scratch my head and wonder why Nissan doesn't just make more trucks? It seems like they don't have any problems selling the vehicles they make, they just don't make enough to compete with Toyota on an equal basis.
I'll bet more Toyota buyers would be tempted to switch to Nissan if there were more available for them to buy. I don't know if Nissan is too cash-strapped to ramp up production but from both observation and experience (as a 4x Toyota owner) it seems that Toyota has taken it's "king of the hill" spot not so much by quality as by sheer volume.

It's more like 3:1 if this site is accurate, but it sure feels like I see 5 Tacomas for every Frontier as well:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/toyota-tacoma-sales-figures.html
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/nissan-frontier-sales-figures.html

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's more like 3:1 if this site is accurate, but it sure feels like I see 5 Tacomas for every Frontier as well:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/toyota-tacoma-sales-figures.html
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/nissan-frontier-sales-figures.html
Maybe Frontier owners just love their trucks so much they never sell them, that's why you don't see very many used Frontiers for sale? :sombrero:
BTW my stepson just got an '09 Crew Cab Frontier and loves it.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Maybe Frontier owners just love their trucks so much they never sell them, that's why you don't see very many used Frontiers for sale? :sombrero:
BTW my stepson just got an '09 Crew Cab Frontier and loves it.

Ha! I know I have had my 2006 Xterra Off-Road since new and I refuse to give it up. It's a work in progress and has a ways to go. I love it!

rkj__

Adventurer
Three out of four goofs would chose the Frontier, it it were their money.

http://youtu.be/B5eE697aqEg

They GMC has the most HP, and would have been fine on the trail with the air dam removed. That stupid piece of plastic is really getting them a lot of negative comments in reviews.

maktruk

Observer
Three out of four goofs would chose the Frontier, it it were their money.

http://youtu.be/B5eE697aqEg

They GMC has the most HP, and would have been fine on the trail with the air dam removed. That stupid piece of plastic is really getting them a lot of negative comments in reviews.
The Frontier has a fat airdam/bumper combo too. I didn't realize how fat until I cut it all off :)

d701db47e258d7c69db746c5ee32363f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior