VW Golf Sportwagen Alltrack

haven

Expedition Leader
VW has announced plans to introduce a crossover version of the Golf station wagon. Compared with the standard Golf wagon with 4 motion AWD, the Golf Alltrack adds about half an inch of ground clearance, plus a hill-descent mode. The well-equipped automatic version will cost $27,700 when it goes on sale in October. Sadly, no Diesel engine is planned, thanks to VW's troubles with the EPA.

The Golf Sportwagen Alltrack is about the same size as the Subaru XV Crosstrek. The VW is more expensive, and has less ground clearance. The VW Tiguan S with 4motion AWD is somewhat less expensive, too. Still, the Golf Sportwagen Alltrack is worth a look if you're shopping for AWD crossovers.

ADVSubaru

Observer
Oh, wow. I think this would be absolutely killer if there were a TDI option. That would give it more than enough umph for towing, but even in its non TDI state, I think this will be a great alternative to a Crosstrek.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Just got back from a trip to Italy and saw one in person. Looked pretty nice although the difference between a regular Golf wagon and the Alltrack is not as profound as the difference between a standard A6 and the Allroad. Still it's nice to have options.

borison

Adventurer
I like the way look online, haven't seen them in person. Definitely an OB competetior if they offered in NA.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Only 0.6" more ground clearance than a standard golf? That's not even enough to make it usable in the winter.

Can't stand when automotive companies make what could be a really cool car segment and then half-*** it so badly.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Jason4

Not usable in winter? Not everyone deals with the same conditions. I drive up the mount Baker Highway dozens of times each winter (over 100 each winter back when I had my lowered GTI) in my stock Golf TDI on winter wheels. Adding all wheel drive and some extra storage space makes a great winter rig for me while still being a decent commuter. This thing is on my short list for replacements for the Golf when I sell it back to VW.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
A majority of the lift is from taller tires. But they're still road tires and will need to be swapped.Boost lift should be simple and should be enough to clear most trail problems.
The Tiguan is not less expensive, and gets it's own update in 2018.
The Golf Sportwagen S will be available with 4motion as well. SE and SEL trim levels will not. Alltrack will have SE and SEL trim levels.
Alltrack gets more electronic modes over the Sportwagen, and panoramic sun roof.
TFLcar has launch (in Seattle area) video including off road course. Mica asked question to VW, "will the electronics cut power to all wheels to preserve the drivetrain?" and the reply was "No."
The Golf Alltrack will be compared to the OB because of price but the Passat Alltrack is comparable by size (and not available in the US). The Crostrek isn't a competitor either because the Sportwagen has 30% more volume. And the VW seats are supremely more comfortable.
A manual trans is scheduled for introduction in 1Q17.
APR has tune for the 1.8T TSI EA888 that results in 230HP/254FTLBs. That should be good for sending rocks flying for at least quarter mile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior