VARIO AIR CONDITIONING ?

Anton2k3

Adventurer
I'm thinking of just installing this above the cab:http://www.dometic.co.uk/product/dometic-freshjet-1100/

Just going to run it off an inverter, Shouldn't pull more than ~35-40A, my battery to battery charger can allegedly go to 50A, so should all work out. Much easier and probably cheaper than retro fit of a dash variant, take us no internal space, and there is already a roof light cut out area thing above the vario cabs. This is all for a panel van version though!

part time nomad

Adventurer
I am considering a similar idea, I have a Dometic HB2500 its an under locker type unit (currently fitted in my caravan)

Its not as powerful as in dash vehicle fitted types, so I am looking at options!

These Dometic units run best on pure sine inverters, and I have heard quite a few reports of them trashing inverters after time.

Strangely enough Dometic do an inverter that is suited to them but you are looking at £1000

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I am considering a similar idea, I have a Dometic HB2500 its an under locker type unit (currently fitted in my caravan)

Its not as powerful as in dash vehicle fitted types, so I am looking at options!

These Dometic units run best on pure sine inverters, and I have heard quite a few reports of them trashing inverters after time.

Strangely enough Dometic do an inverter that is suited to them but you are looking at £1000

This is the set-up I have but I find it struggles to cool the whole van. I have ducted it so that it can just cool the cab but I've never actually done this because the kids have always been in the back.

Squiddlydiddly

I'm thinking of just installing this above the cab:http://www.dometic.co.uk/product/dometic-freshjet-1100/

Just going to run it off an inverter, Shouldn't pull more than ~35-40A, my battery to battery charger can allegedly go to 50A, so should all work out. Much easier and probably cheaper than retro fit of a dash variant, take us no internal space, and there is already a roof light cut out area thing above the vario cabs. This is all for a panel van version though!

I used to have one of these on a Hymer motorhome. It was set up for use while hooked up rather than off an inverter. Used it a couple of times but it was noisy and ineffective. It was a 2006 model so they might have improved a tad in 10 years and also might not have been working properly.

I installed one of these https://www.truma.com/uk/en/air-conditioning/saphir-comfort.php under our seating in our current rig, but I work it off either mains hookup or our onboard Genny. . . not tried how it will work off my inverter.

We were in open sun at over 40 degrees this year in Spain and it struggled - or rather we did in the heat of it all.

While driving, we used the open window system of cooling. . .

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Yea I think the application of these roof top ones is pretty limited. I have a separate cab to the living space, and would use it only to cool the cab when driving. Have a regular air con unit for the living space.

Squiddlydiddly

Yea I think the application of these roof top ones is pretty limited. I have a separate cab to the living space, and would use it only to cool the cab when driving. Have a regular air con unit for the living space.

Ahhh, that makes sense now. As you were. A roof top will do the job.

Neil

Observer
I have just finished fitting under dash air con on the 1017.

Its been a fiddly job. Had to move the power steering pump to accomodate the Compressor. Lots of new bracketry and belts etc.
The large lower water hoses from the radiator had to be move to clear the new belts.

Tge Condensor is on the roof and the evaporator is under the dash

It all works a treat and I am very pleased.

Neil

part time nomad

Adventurer
Neil. That sounds interesting! I will pop over and take a look at that, at the weekend.

We will be on the Chiltern Vale Land Rover Club stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke