Scott's Excursion

ScottF4444

Looks like a real nice build. What's your MPG and range? And I'm curious about the lower center dash panel, is that a custom piece?

Thank you. MPG is appx 15. It has a 44 gallon tank so 600ish mile range.

The dash panel is out of F650 tow truck. I cut it up with a Dremel and epoxied in the switch panels.

Resized_20160918_080426.jpeg

ScottF4444

Did you do the swap your self? Did you have to swap over the ecm? sorry have a thousand questions

I did not do the swap myself...I'm not that cool :cool: and didn't have the spare time.

The stock Ford ECM remains to control some items and you also need the Dodge ECM, but it needs to be reprogrammed. I sent mine to Destroked to reprogram it. You can buy a Smarty tuner from them and you can flash it yourself but I wanted to run the EFI Live custom tunes so I can switch between five different tunes on the fly. It didn't have as much stock power as I thought it would but the tune sure solved that problem. I did run a Smarty on it for a bit but it was really dirty...I'm not one for "rolling coal" and hate seeing the black exhaust. The ATP turns run really clean with no black exhaust.

CumminsSwap1.jpg

CumminsSwap2.jpg

CumminsSwap3.jpg

Last edited:

Marine

Adventurer
I did not do the swap myself...I'm not that cool :cool: and didn't have the spare time.

The stock Ford ECM remains to control some items and you also need the Dodge ECM, but it needs to be reprogrammed. I sent mine to Destroked to reprogram it. You can buy a Smarty tuner from them and you can flash it yourself but I wanted to run the EFI Live custom tunes so I can switch between five different tunes on the fly. It didn't have as much stock power as I thought it would but the tune sure solved that problem. I did run a Smarty on it for a bit but it was really dirty...I'm not one for "rolling coal" and hate seeing the black exhaust. The ATP turns run really clean with no black exhaust.

View attachment 367034

View attachment 367035

View attachment 367036

Makes two of us, I have a basic understanding, but would send it out to a shop for the swap. Glad to hear the tunes Are clean. I'm not big on black smoke either, fuel cost to much to watch it come out the back.

Conagher

Thanks for the engine swap details. I have a 6.0 in my 06, f350 that has been "bulletproofed." Were you running a high HP tune, when you lost the head gasket for the second time? Swapping the 6.0 for a 5.9 is my ultimate goal. How much time and what was the ball park cost for the conversion? I understand if you do not want to throw the cost out.

ScottF4444

Thanks for the engine swap details. I have a 6.0 in my 06, f350 that has been "bulletproofed." Were you running a high HP tune, when you lost the head gasket for the second time? Swapping the 6.0 for a 5.9 is my ultimate goal. How much time and what was the ball park cost for the conversion? I understand if you do not want to throw the cost out.

I was running a custom SCT tune but not a crazy one. I think I just got a bad 6.0l.

I don't remember the exact cost (I've tried to block it from my memory :eek: ) I think the motor was $8k with turbo & ECM. All the other parts, I believe, were about the same. I wanted it done right so I replaced parts that may not have needed replacing then, but would in the near future. The shop that did it worked on it when time allowed so it was a longer process than a normal install, so I don't have a time estimate on a straight installation. All said and done, it was over budget but I'm very happy with the result.

You Sir, have a very nice truck.

Thank you!

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Scott, I have been looking at a very similar idea. A question I have....

Can you start with a gas motored X just as easily or do the electronics get significantly more difficult? I would assume you'd want to do not only the motor but tranny as well, I just see gas X's SUPER cheap compared to the diesels and wonder what the effects of using that as a starting point is.

O, and AWESOME RIG by the way.

ScottF4444

Rad setup!

Thank you!

Scott, I have been looking at a very similar idea. A question I have....

Can you start with a gas motored X just as easily or do the electronics get significantly more difficult? I would assume you'd want to do not only the motor but tranny as well, I just see gas X's SUPER cheap compared to the diesels and wonder what the effects of using that as a starting point is.

O, and AWESOME RIG by the way.

Thanks! Sorry but I'm not really sure about the conversion starting with a gas motor. The Destroked website has a lot of info so that may be a good resource for your conversion.

TheCarpenter

Observer
Who did the cummins swap for you? I have a supposedly bulletproof million mile motor 7.3L EX blown up in my driveway and a cummins might rekindle my love for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94