Where to buy a square mog? Advice?

evilfij

Explorer
It is time for another vehicle (anyone who follows me knows I have one of everything) and I have had a desire for a mog since I missed out on U500 locally for $50k and change 7 or so years ago.

Having realized that a U500 is basically non-existent at what I would be willing to pay and also that keeping it maintained and repaired will be expensive and difficult, I have decided to looks for a square bodied mog.

My choices would be between a U1300l and a U1700l. The U1300ls I have seen are much less costly, but finding one with fast axles and a turbo motor seems hard. There is one I have located in the U.K. which is quite reasonable cost, but I fear I will not like it as it will be too slow to keep up highway speed. While I am in a very flat area, I need something that will do 60-65mph to travel safely (at least in my view of the world) as most of my trips involve extended interstate drives.

So, that and hours and hours of research lead me to the conclusion that what I want is a u1700l with fast axles and the 170hp engine (potentially to be upgraded to 200-220hp with tuning and an intercooler) running something like 395 85r20 tires as that is the only way I can reasonably cruise at the speed I need without shelling out $10k for an overdrive. I suppose if I could find a u1300l with fast axles and a turbo engine I can do the same, but there do not seem to be many around.

So that leads me to my question: there are precious few square unimogs for sale in the US so I am leaning toward importing one. I have someone (uncle Doug of dividing creek imports) who I trust 100% to do the import, but I want to make sure I get a good one as I don't want a project and I want it fully ready to roll (Ian's thread detailing replacing the engine and the axles is not something I am looking to do even though his mog is amazing). On the other hand, I don't need (and don't want to pay for) a pimped out Schwarzenegger level mog. To import I need the original engine and clear VIN numbers on a 25 year old (or older) Mog (BTW where are the VINs? Would a cab swap cause an import issue?). In short, a cosmetically challenged, but mechanically sorted and non-rusty mog would be ideal. Has anyone had an experience good or bad with the European places that sell mogs? Atkinson Vos for example? They seem to know their stuff.

My use for it would be short trips (week or less) and then basically using it as a pick up truck. No camper build, just a tent or whatever. In fact, if I had a choice, I would probably opt for a standard wheelbase mog to gain some maueverability.

Thank you in advance for any advice or pointing me in the direction of some advice. I have read a ton of stuff, but asking directly seems best.

akdak

Hi,

From the experience I have with my Unimog - U2150, in order to cruise safely at 60-65mph for extended interstate drives you will need BOTH fast axles and overdrive, otherwise with only fast axles you will rev the engine too much.

Regards,

Atanas

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Fast axles and an Overdrive will get you the speed you need with the bigger tyres. or you will be sitting on the rev limit all the time. An OM366 turbo motor, intercooler and some fuel pump tuning/ should get you to around 200hp, and you will need that if you want to cruise at 60-65mph ( 100-110kph), I can do it in my camper, and we weigh 8 tons but it drinks a lot of fuel at that speed.

I have heard that Atkinson Vos have a super fast diff pinion set for a U1300, so that might be the way to go, cheaper than an overdrive by quite a bit. If you a importing one, sent it to them to get the diff sorted so you get some sort of a warranty. The Belgium Army U1300 ( or U1350) come with the fast axles and a 170hp OM366, see if you can get one of those. 395/85R20 tyres are too big for a U1300, you need a cab lift, at 200-250kg tyres are just too heavy for the portal axles in my opinion. I know they are cheap in the US, but portal bearings are much more expensive than tyres. They are really big tyres compared to the 365/80R20s

2015-06-15 10.27.21.jpg

If you don't need a lot of load capacity, stay away from the U1700 range. They are a lot bigger and heavier than a U1300, so you will need more power for the same speed, and especially if you only want to use it as a pick-up. The short wheel base U1700 are pretty rare, and most are the U1700/L38 which are a big truck.

Remember that you will need to install a lot of sound insulation if you want to be able to talk to someone at 60mph, and air con if you drive in summer. If you buy an ex-military truck, they are very basic, so budget for new seats as well.

Buying some one else's truck is probably the best way to go, I know of one guy on the Benzworld Unimog forum who says his is for sale. It has most of the modifications you need and is in the US I think.

[url]http://www.benzworld.org/forums/41748-dokatd.html [/URL]

Last edited:

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi
Our now sold camper started as a U1300l with a slightly bigger turbo on 14.50R20s but went to an intercooled U1700 at 9.5 tons all from AV. The camper had a cab over so more wind resistance, and on 395 XZL's it could just about maintain 55mph most of the time but 50 was more comfy. 65 no way. Full time live in use for three years ish centred in Europe.
We had an exhaust brake which was fab, and should have had the overdrive, no fast axles and wouldn't have needed them. The normal jump from 7th to 8th is too big really, and if a hill requires a slightly lower gear you have to slow down a lot into 7th, too much to get back into 8th on that same hill. The overdrive would have made it easier to maintain 55 at the expensive of more thirst, a lot more hp than our 200ish would have been needed as well as probably a lower camper to get to 60+ and stay there. There are quite a few folks who reckon going much beyond what Ma Benz designed for long term, out of the way, reliable travel is a bad idea, but there are plenty who will sell you it, and plenty who have had no problems.
If where I wanted to travel "required" 65mph I wouldn't get a Mog, except a USA spec U500 maybe :)
The 395s are just about stand up able with a wheel in when laying flat, but not too often on the same day!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
70ish is even too fast ... but the point is that it is not possible with only fast axles ... nor wise to be done on a regular basis ...

It is too fast. And it is possible with fast axles. Well also a turbo. My buddy drove from Sacramento to Reno on highway 50 which is pretty steep and he maintained 60 mph the entities way.

akdak

It is too fast. And it is possible with fast axles. Well also a turbo. My buddy drove from Sacramento to Reno on highway 50 which is pretty steep and he maintained 60 mph the entities way.

Possible and wise are two completely different things ... for a unimog with only fast axles, without an overdrive, even if you have large tires, driving at 70 mph makes your engine run at about 3000 rpm which is not a wise thing to do on a regular basis.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Possible and wise are two completely different things ... for a unimog with only fast axles, without an overdrive, even if you have large tires, driving at 70 mph makes your engine run at about 3000 rpm which is not a wise thing to do on a regular basis.

Some people don't care I guess :). FYI, the om352 is an industrial engine and is designed to run at redline all day long.

Last edited:

evilfij

Explorer
Anyone have the u1300 Atkinson Vos pinion gear set? That to me sounds like a good solution. For the factory "fast axles" is the reduction different in the portal hub or the ring and pinion? i don't want to use giant tires, I would prefer normal unimog sized tires, I was just looking for something that would allow me to go highway speeds.

foxhunter

Adventurer
Why don't you look at Stewart and Stevenson 1078's on Iron planet. You get a U1300 like truck with a CAT engine and Allison automatic transmission in the 1994 to 1998 years for 10 grand or less, most with less than 10k miles on them. A friend of mine sold his U500 and bought 1996 S&S 1083(6x6 version of the 1078) for less than $15k and loves it. You get the advantage of pretty much any truck shop in the USA being able to get parts and work on it. They come with the 395 85 R20 tires. Fast axles can be put on them to get to 65+ mile an hour , although my friend's truck had no problems running 60 mph with the stock axles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke