$150 budget: for recovery boards/mats?

patsfan

Observer
Hi, my wife and I and my daughter are planning a long road trip, i will hit up some off-roading spots on the way, moab, pismo, Death Valley, ect.

I would like to get a set of recovery boards before I leave. Maxtrax look great but three hundred a pair is a little spendy. Any recommendations for $150 budget? Not looking for a diy option.

I have searched some threads here, they start off with some good info but then get way off topic.

I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited auto with open differentials and 35 inch tires. don't know if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

siebermd

Adventurer
Smitybilt makes a set for $149. I am not sure on their quality, but the price is right on target. They look very similar to the MXTRX

NatersXJ6

Explorer
don't bother

Once you get out west, you are virtually never alone. I wouldn't bother dropping $$ on something bulky like that if I was going to the places you mentioned. The only place I've ever thought about wanting those is Pismo, and realistically, there are always hundreds, if not thousands, of rigs there and you can get a tug really easily. I would put the equivalent money into making sure I had a good way to inflate tires before I worried about traction boards.

If you intend to venture to the far corners of the earth and never accept a push or pull from anyone else, then you are in a different situation... Simply ignore my thoughts!

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Warning... these aren't lightweight. They weigh 31 pounds each. But, for $20 each, you can get a 5-foot section of Marston mat when you're out in California. The place, in El Mirage, is Aviation Warehouse. If you could dual-purpose them for tables or something, the weight might be okay for you though? We have 4 of them, but our rig's bigger. For the money, though, they're quite sturdy and in great shape.

http://aviationwarehouse.net/novelties-for-sale.html

jhill15

Explorer
Maxsa innovations makes a maxtrax knock off that's works really well. They are $148 to your door on Amazon. MAXSA Innovations 20333 Escaper Buddy Orange Traction Mat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AV2HONS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_oOx4xbFKFE61J
10ffc73881a04de0209cf4b859251f3f.jpg

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

patsfan

Observer
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far.

The Escape buddy looks interesting, does anyone have any real-world experience using them?

The treads look to be legit, but they would be close to $200 shipped, at that point I would only be $100 shy of the max tracks. So for an extra hundred bucks would it be worth it?

patsfan

Observer
Warning... these aren't lightweight. They weigh 31 pounds each. But, for $20 each, you can get a 5-foot section of Marston mat when you're out in California. The place, in El Mirage, is Aviation Warehouse. If you could dual-purpose them for tables or something, the weight might be okay for you though? We have 4 of them, but our rig's bigger. For the money, though, they're quite sturdy and in great shape.

http://aviationwarehouse.net/novelties-for-sale.html

That's a fantastic bargain, good find!

I think they'll be too heavy and bulky for my needs though.

Now I just need to come up with 150k to pick up that sweet Russian Hind.

jhill15

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far.

The Escape buddy looks interesting, does anyone have any real-world experience using them?

The treads look to be legit, but they would be close to $200 shipped, at that point I would only be $100 shy of the max tracks. So for an extra hundred bucks would it be worth it?
These should be free shipping. If you have a Wal-Mart near you then you can buy off their website and have them shipped to store for free. That's how I got mine, plus if anything ever happens to them Wal-Mart has a great return policy. www.walmart.com/ip/22733629?wmlspar...75035&wl11=online&wl12=22733629&wl13=&veh=sem

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Happykamper

Explorer
Well they say you get what you pay for but ....I don't know I have the maxtrax I got the four pk. I had used a buddies when I was in Washington and they were as advertised! Since I have used mine once ...got stuck on purpose by turning in som gunk lol. They were great. That being said the set Jhill115 has looks pretty darn close. I might have gotten the Max anyway, but if I were trying to stay on a budget I for sure would have thought about those !
Plus I've read some of his posts and he seems very knowligable .

rayra

Expedition Leader
If shipping's a deal breaker consider sourcing them somewhere along your intended road travel to your destinations, pick them up on your way.

Joe917

Explorer
Once you get out west, you are virtually never alone. I wouldn't bother dropping $$ on something bulky like that if I was going to the places you mentioned. The only place I've ever thought about wanting those is Pismo, and realistically, there are always hundreds, if not thousands, of rigs there and you can get a tug really easily. I would put the equivalent money into making sure I had a good way to inflate tires before I worried about traction boards.

If you intend to venture to the far corners of the earth and never accept a push or pull from anyone else, then you are in a different situation... Simply ignore my thoughts!
X2
Airing down is the way to go, spend the money on a compressor first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke