What should I be using to drag large trees?

andrew61987

Observer
Every so often I come across a large tree fallen across the trail, for example a 4 ft diameter pine/fir or similar. If I can I turn around, but sometimes I need to move it. I obviously make sure it's safe and isn't going to come loose and roll over me once I give it a tug. In the past I've wrapped my snatch strap around it (with a section of carpet to protect it) and hooked both looped ends to my front tow hook. This often lets me drag it just enough to sneak around it especially if it's already broken at some point. But I don't want to continue to use my snatch strap for this, I know eventually I'll catch it on something and fray it. What's a better setup? This only happens from time to time not every trip out.

Possible fraying aside the snatch strap works pretty well. I might just buy another 20k lb one for $30 and make it a dedicated tree pulling strap. Probably cheapest option too.

Last edited:

andrew61987

Observer
Just a guess, I went back and looked at the pics from last time I had to do it, maybe 3 ft max? It was pretty big and was broken just right and laying just right so that I could pull a section of it towards me and zig zag around the two sections. I'm usually in the Sierra Nevada and northern California coastal ranges.

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
X2 on the chain.
At home, the chain we used for years to drag logs out of the woods was painted an obnoxious pink color. As has been said, you will damage the chain by using it to skid logs. It should not be used for other purposes.
That being said we used the same chain to move a lot of logs after the ground froze. I don't remember many being more then about 20" or so.

aardvarcus

Adventurer
My vote is for a cheap strap with some repurposed cut protection, as mentioned above. Keep that strap and use it for any duties that could potentially damage a strap, tree pulling, towing broken down vehicles without appropriate tow points (not recovery don't use a sketchy strap for that), tree saver for a come along, etcetera. The key is using it well under its rating to account for the hard life/conditions you will expose it to. Over time that strap will degrade and need replaced, so get a new strap.

I didn't intend to follow this path, but when one of my straps started to get a bit rougher/dirtier than the rest, I began using it for any potentially rough tasks to save the rest.

evilfij

Explorer
Wire cable is best in my experience. It is cheap (free for used bent winch lines) and skids better than chain and does not cut like a strap.

carbon60

Explorer
I carry a 20' chain to use for clearing trees and as backup winch with the Hi-Lift. I also carry a special chain choker/slip hook:
logger_hook_forged_large.png

Works very well. I found that you need something to get the chain to cinch down.

I then either pull with the truck or winch, depending on where things are situated. A common scenario is to run my winch line to a block far off the trail, then pull the tree directly into the bush. That avoids having to turn it and you can pull in the direction that will not bind into the dirt.

A.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I carry a drag chain, too, certainly in the spring and early summer. Mine's 5/16" high test (grade 43), about 20 feet. I prefer this over a strap or wire for a few reasons. One I can make the grabbing loop fit whatever trunk I need and it bites into the tree without sawing as much as wire rope. In a pinch it could also be used for a tow I suppose, should be good for about 1-to-2 tons since even grade 30 5/16" would be 1,900 lbs WLL. This does not replace a tree strap, this is just for dragging dead fall from the trail.

IMG_0859_mid.jpg

If you've ever wondered what those funny small hooks are used for, they're called grab hook and it's to make a loop.

IMG_0861_mid.jpg

IMG_0860_mid.jpg

The other end I just put a slip hook that fits whatever, a tow point, bow shackle, etc.

IMG_0862_mid.jpg

Last edited:

WheelsUp

Observer
I'm in the chain camp as well, for many of the same reasons all ready mentioned. I think they hold up to abuse a bit better than a cable or strap. I keep it in a bucket, keeps it from getting tangled, and makes it easy to move around. Plus the bucket can come in handy for other uses too.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Lucky j

Explorer
Chain and winch, sometime with a snatch block to redirect the pull.

The winch makes it soft and more controled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne