Advice on a Gen3 Purchase

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Good evening all,

Long time lurker. I had a 1995 SR as my first car and loved it. I'm getting tired of my 2007 Accord coupe and want a camping/adventure rig that is more capable and has less miles than my old 2wd ZJ. Just a basic overland vehicle I can throw my wife and dog into and hit some trails to camp for the weekend. Maybe go explore the Mojave more, though we're usually out in either the Los Padres or up near Bridgeport.

I found a 2002 Montero Limited on Craigslist for $3300 and wanted your expert input. It has 184k miles and it's the first owner selling it. New tires (though they will be replaced), new battery, new pads/rotors, timing belt last year, new ABS system, all seals and gaskets replaced by a shop earlier this year (and receipts to prove it).

Everything works fine, engine bay is clean. Only leak I noticed was on the drive shaft, so I'm guessing rear main? He also said that he was planning on doing a transmission flush soon. Curious about his reasoning, considering he seemed to know very little about vehicles and left it all to the shops. Maybe a smooth talking mechanic?

No rust that I could see. A couple small dents here and there, but I'm not picky, especially for an adventure car.

Just did a short test drive around the parking lot and it was smooth. 4hi engaged no problem (once I figured out that I needed to push down on the handle).

So, based on that information, do you think $3300 is a fair price for this Gen3 for a guy in Southern California?

If you respond positively, you will be rewarded with a future build thread... :)

Thanks all.

Montero.jpg

KyleT

Explorer
For 3k you can't go wrong. I have two, a 03 and a 06. I love both. The main differences are the 01-02 had the 3.5 and no traction control. But you should have the limited slip diff.

Edit, only use OEM SPIII or EneosSP transmission fluid. No other fluid will work. Even if it says it will. It won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Thanks guys. Of course a guy with a 1998 with a rear locker and 205k miles for $1100 just got back to me. At that price I'm guessing it will need some serious work to get to the same level as the gen3 I'm looking at. Probably go look at it Thursday and see if I can make a decision.

limp_noodle

Adventurer
Thanks guys. Of course a guy with a 1998 with a rear locker and 205k miles for $1100 just got back to me. At that price I'm guessing it will need some serious work to get to the same level as the gen3 I'm looking at. Probably go look at it Thursday and see if I can make a decision.

why not both?

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I vote both. You can check for a LSD label on the back of the diff housing. It should say HYBLID LSD if one is equipped. If there is oil leaking onto the driveshaft, then it probably came from the transfer case. Clean all surfaces on the drivetrain and run around the block. Go back under and follow the trail of oil.

Transmission flush is normal on these vehicles, but it should get a full fluid change if it is over 150k miles. The current ATF will be worn out at this point. Use only Diaqueen SP-III fluid (Mitsubishi, KIA, Hyundai spec for Aisin Transmissions) in the Gen 3 transmissions. Any other fluid will cause damage to the clutches and torque converter.
Follow this procedure, it can be done in an hour with 2 people.
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=15879

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader

I would take the 98. Both have quite a few miles and the 98 is cheaper which allows for more budget to replace stuff.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Everybody else has covered the major points here but from a money perspective - just the timing belt job within the last year is easily worth ~1.5k right off the top.

Parts will run you anywhere from $600-$1000 depending on how in depth you go, if you don't have the specialty tools in house expect to spend another $200-300 and if you need someone else to do the job expect $800-1000 for labor. When I was looking at trucks I planned on doing this update myself with the expectation that I would save a bunch of money, I think I saved some, but a year old change (providing it was done right) is probably the sweet spot, you get the benefits and the original owner doesn't remember how bloody expensive it was...

The others Battery- ~$200, ABS - ~$500-1000, seals and gaskets (depending on depth) could be upwards of $2k.

Basically it sounds like they did a full refresh within the last year, I'm doing basically the same job on my truck and it's projected to cost ~3.5k with free labor. Anyways, it's some serious peace of mind and substantial dollars in your pocket.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
I say get the gen 3! As others pointed out it the maintenance that has already been done should make it a very reliable purchase. I'm looking at getting a gen 3 of my wife in the near future as we will need something with a 3rd row and the 3rd gens are very nice and quite capable.

Last edited:

Bmp1

For 3k you can't go wrong. I have two, a 03 and a 06. I love both. The main differences are the 01-02 had the 3.5 and no traction control. But you should have the limited slip diff.

Edit, only use OEM SPIII or EneosSP transmission fluid. No other fluid will work. Even if it says it will. It won't.

What years are the 3rd gen available with LSD?

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Thanks for the tip.
If you don't get it someone else will, and fast.
Good Luck,
My purchase experience here, if that helps:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/158690-It-just-takes-some-of-us-longer-to-come-to-our-senses-(new-2002-Montero)
They don't seem to move too fast out here, though the seller mentioned he had other people come look at it. I guess they all tried to low ball him.
why not both?
Because the wife is barely on board with one. :)
I vote both. You can check for a LSD label on the back of the diff housing. It should say HYBLID LSD if one is equipped. If there is oil leaking onto the driveshaft, then it probably came from the transfer case. Clean all surfaces on the drivetrain and run around the block. Go back under and follow the trail of oil.

Transmission flush is normal on these vehicles, but it should get a full fluid change if it is over 150k miles. The current ATF will be worn out at this point. Use only Diaqueen SP-III fluid (Mitsubishi, KIA, Hyundai spec for Aisin Transmissions) in the Gen 3 transmissions. Any other fluid will cause damage to the clutches and torque converter.
Follow this procedure, it can be done in an hour with 2 people.
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=15879

Thanks for the tips. I plan to spend some time underneath it after buying it. Trans fluid will be high on my list (depending on what the seller has to say about the last time he did a flush).

I would take the 98. Both have quite a few miles and the 98 is cheaper which allows for more budget to replace stuff.
I was leaning towards it but the seller was being really evasive regarding whether it would pass smog. Also wouldn’t send me any pics of the engine bay.

Everybody else has covered the major points here but from a money perspective - just the timing belt job within the last year is easily worth ~1.5k right off the top.

Parts will run you anywhere from $600-$1000 depending on how in depth you go, if you don't have the specialty tools in house expect to spend another $200-300 and if you need someone else to do the job expect $800-1000 for labor. When I was looking at trucks I planned on doing this update myself with the expectation that I would save a bunch of money, I think I saved some, but a year old change (providing it was done right) is probably the sweet spot, you get the benefits and the original owner doesn't remember how bloody expensive it was...

The others Battery- ~$200, ABS - ~$500-1000, seals and gaskets (depending on depth) could be upwards of $2k.

Basically it sounds like they did a full refresh within the last year, I'm doing basically the same job on my truck and it's projected to cost ~3.5k with free labor. Anyways, it's some serious peace of mind and substantial dollars in your pocket.
That’s where I’m standing with it. I could save some money getting a cheaper one, but then I’d have to turn around and dump a ton of time, effort, and money into it. Much rather have a more stable platform to begin with.

I say get the gen 3! As others pointed out it the maintenance that has already been done should make it a very reliable purchase. I'm looking at getting a gen 3 of my wife in the near future as we will need something with a 3rd row and the 3rd gens are very nice and quite capable.
Have to agree here, the gen 3 is more comfortable on the inside and if built right, can do some significant things. Go for the gen 3!!
Thanks guys.

Sounds like a good deal. Did you get a chance to take up to speed on the street/highway?

I did not. I plan to Saturday (though it will be hard to say no at that point since I’ll have the cash in my pocket for it).

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Interesting thing discussing the timing belt costs. I have been looking at an 03' anniversary w/150k close to St. Louis and called a Mitsubishi dealership in Columbia, Mo( a good place for me to stop on the way back if I pull the trigger on this). I asked how much it would be to take care of a timing belt and water pump for me on my way back home. The service lady said right around $750 plus tax. I had her double check the price and she confirmed.

With much higher numbers being thrown around here, does this sound right? I've been looking recently and have reserves about higher mile vehicles(yes, 150k is high for me). I will run through everything once I make a purchase, but always worry damage has already been done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94