Registering a Mastodon 4x4 G-Wagon in California

Beater_Bimmer

Adventurer
I'm very interested in purchasing a vehicle from them in the near future but everything I'm reading is tell me I shouldn't buy. My main concern is the CARB tests.

Has anyone successfully brought in a GD to CA with good results (and not just had lots of luck)? I can't seem to find the best documentation on here or other forums that lay out solid requirements.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Matt in San Francisco, CA

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
If Mastodon is a good seller, they should be able to answer your questions on this subject.

Also, check on some of the specialized G-Class forums, like Pointedthree.com. Do a search; and if you can't find a good answer, ask your question there.

louie1726

Should be exempt from smog and other US & CA requirements. Anything over 25 years old is. Search vehicle imports, the Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) has a resource page with FAQ's. I know this because I was considering a Mastodon G-Wagen.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Should be exempt from smog and other US & CA requirements. Anything over 25 years old is. Search vehicle imports, the Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) has a resource page with FAQ's. I know this because I was considering a Mastodon G-Wagen.
Incorrect. The 25 year rule doesnt currently stand in CA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mastodon4x4

Each county is different in California as far as the mission laws. We've had 5 customers purchase G's with no problems getting them registered in Different parts of CA. Thanks Matt for stopping by the shop the other day and checking out our inventory and as I explained to Matt anyone that purchases a car from us if for some reason it won't pass emissions and it can't be upfit in some simple way to pass then we will gladly take the car back and give full refund. All the customer would be out is the shipping cost. Thanks - Tim

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
In CA it's anything 1975 and older is smog exempt. I have a 1976 Ford that has to be smogged every other year.

There's also an exemption for new vehicles for the first few years. Prius owners are now unhappy that they are no longer exempt if their Prius is old enough.

OR2BAJA

Observer
This is unfortunately my concern as well. I am going to be looking at Mastadon at the end of the year for my gwagen. I hate CARB

Heading Out

Adventurer
In CA it's anything 1975 and older is smog exempt. I have a 1976 Ford that has to be smogged every other year.

By the letter of the law, in CA, 1975 and older vehicles are not inspected, they are not smog exempt.

also, Diesel vehicles 1997 and newer are inspected, the older ones are not.

Last edited:

Roadkill150

It seems like there is a lot of misinformation floating around.. sure there's folks that have registered everything under the sun in California at some point.. it doesn't mean it is legal though and that there aren't ramifications down the road should they be caught. To the original poster: Here is the issues you are going to be dealing with trying to bring a grey market rig into California.. straight from Carb.. not uncle Jethro. Google arb grey market vehicles and you'll get a FAQ answering your questions.

So basically, if the G is a 1979 or older and has the original diesel-powered engine, you are exempt.. otherwise stand by to stand by.. Hit up a reputable importer like expedition imports who has dealt with carb and dmw and has been down that road, for further info.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I COULD BE WRONG ABOUT THIS, YMMV

I'll add this link

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/defenders-in-california-everything-you-want-to-know-59447.html

Mostly current/true explanation of the situation in CA with regards to non US spec vehicles, albeit not a very optimistic one. Bringing a car in from outside the state means a VIN verification. Not sure if the G VINs are as weird as some of the defender VINs but this is the first hurdle. If they flag your car it means no registration and they will not allow it to be titled here. Some people are more aware of defenders and what they are vs G wagens so its possible a DMV employee just wouldn't bother making a fuss.

I have heard anecdotally that most of the successful registrations of defenders here has been by using a low-key method like a DMV courier and praying nobody notices. As others have said above, this still leaves you open to being noticed later (a letter in the mail stating they know the vehicle is not CARB legal and please take it out of state, no title for you etc.). Usually if you ask CARB the answer is you will need to use a special lab/shop to make the emissions compliant, IE build a new emissions system for the car, you usually hear $15,xxx prices minimum. IMO don't ask CARB, maybe ping a local referee casually and pick their brain.

This state is horrible for cars, but it can be done. Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, G Wagens have been done and you see them driving around a lot.

IF you don't get flagged, yes the diesel exemption is to 1997. Gasoline is 1974. They do not listen to the 25 year rule RE: emissions. They will flag anything they want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles