Scissor steps

jex

Would anyone have plans for making scissor steps similiar to these shown elsewhere on this forum.

scissor steps.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Here is the way I carry the steps when pulling a trailer: Note the 4 extension bars. These are important and flexible as to use.

Here they are when I use the rear rack with fuel and firewood:

and folded completely under for a better departure angle (on the White Rim Trail, Moab)

I've used two models of steps: Step Up Products, 4 step version that I had to add those 4 bars to make it fit the height of my camper, and
Torklift Glow Steps, which are wider, deeper, and heavier construction but stiff connectors which only gets harder to fold up and pull down when in dusty, sandy conditions. Not satisfied with either steps I've been trying different types of 36" to 40" tall step ladders. I think I've settled on Little Giant with the hoop cut off which hangs on a rack on the rear steps: Kind of heavy but very wide and deep steps and a lower entry angle.

and these which were very lightweight but did not allow the door to shut without moving the steps.

jefe

Rando

Explorer
I also use the 4 step little giant for the side entry on my FWC. I removed the back legs of the A-frame (so now it is just 4 stairs) and attached a piece of 1" aluminium channel under the door that the front edge of the stairs drops in to. So far we have been super happy with this setup. The entry angle is closer to stairs than a ladder, and each step is big and flat making it easy to go in and out with you hands full. When we travel the whole thing folds down to 3" thick and stores under our flatbed. Without the hoop and the half the A-frame it probably only weighs 10lb or so.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I have the etrailer Brophys. My buddy just mounted them to the frame tonight
Kevin

Attachments

• brophystairs.jpg
    brophystairs.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member