More Hidden History Of The Sierras

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I am a casual aviation buff but it brings me into contact with guys and gals who specialize in extensive research, detective work and difficult investigations. Last Sunday I tagged along on a very long day hike to investigate a Curtiss P-40 crash site that has been missing for almost 75 years, a sort of holy grail for WW2 aircraft wreck historians. The hardened peaks of the Sierras are witnesses to numerous civil and military aircraft accidents but few wrecks have remained undiscovered for as long as this site.

Full report and more pictures at my blog: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2016/09/more-hidden-history-of-sierras.html

As I learn more about the P-40 I am updating the technical details related to the pictures.

On October 24, 1940, 19 Curtis P-40 Warhawks of the 57th Pursuit Group left March Field at Riverside, California, to fly to McClelland Field, in Sacramento, California. A short time after takeoff, the aircraft encountered heavy overcast conditions, and many of them became separated. Four planes went down in the area of Kings Canyon, resulting in one pilot being killed, and three pilots parachuting to safety.

The P-40 Warhawk (Ser. # 39-213) flown by 2nd Lt. John Harold Pease suffered engine problems, suddenly filling the cockpit with smoke. Pease forced the cockpit open to vent the smoke and saw that his propeller had stopped turning, forcing the pilot to bail out over the rocky and cold High Sierras.

Remarkably Pease landed unscathed, gathered up his parachute and hiked to a deserted hunter's cabin using his parachute to keep warm.

In June a cross country hiker accidentally discovered the crash site. A SoCal aviation wreck expert, Pat Macha put together a group of seven hardy souls to hike out and validate the wreckage on-site and identify key components of the plane on September 18th. One of the hikers is the son of Lt. Pease who is well and living in California after a long career in the USAF. Macha, co-author of "Aircraft Wrecks in the Mountains and Deserts of California," counts more than 650 Sierra crash sites. His fascinating web site is at: http://www.aircraftwrecks.com/monuments/P-40_1.htm

Starting at 8 AM it would turn out to be a long day of cross country navigation for the hikers to reach and inspect the long hidden site.

IMG_3705-1.jpg

We saw a lot of fresh signs of bear activity. My boot size is 10.5

IMG_3713-1.jpg

After hours of hiking and a few thousand feet of elevation gain we made it to the site and found artifacts that qualified the plane wreck as being a Curtiss P-40 (series 87).

IMG_3743-1.jpg

Other fascinating pieces led me to read a lot more about the famous Allison V-12 engines that had a mechanical supercharger.

IMG_3734-1.jpg

Remnants of the massive Allison V-12 engine

IMG_3730-1.jpg

Altogether we were on the trail for 10 hours, most of that being hiking time.

Please respect aircraft wrecks sites so that other adventurers may see them intact. Many sites are protected by a host of federal and local laws.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Thanks Shortbus! I found some great photos and diagrams to show what the mechanical supercharger would have looked like in a normal state and some Allison factory photos of the engine assembly and layout.

Here are a couple:

The rusty looking part is the rotating impeller and the aluminum vanes are fixed and act as a diffuser.

IMG_3734-1.jpg

This is an engine that is functioning and undergoing maintenance.

Impeller.JPG

Factory diagram

allisonv1710geartrainforlefthandrotatingengines.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Really very cool to learn this P-40 has been found after all these years!

That article is a little strange because Krizan was invited to go but was a no show. Jonathon, the person who first discovered the wreck was on the hike I was on. Krizan also complained of "bad waypoints" but Jonathon only ever recorded the one set of coordinates of the plane itself and no others. With GPS and a map there was little else to do but hike the path of least resistance which we did in one day, no overnight camping required because the waypoint was dead on. A very long hike but no need to carry gear to overnight with and slow yourself down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier