Gluing glass panels into aluminum frame. Sika?

javajoe79

Fabricator
I've touched on this subject before but never got a direct recommendation for a product.

I have a call in to Sika so I will post here what they say but I would like to hear of any first hand experience with this. I have some blank, tempered, double pane windows that I had fabricated by a local glass shop for my build and will be gluing them into the wall of the upper section of my camper. This will be aluminum tube and skin. The window will seal against the aluminum skin on the outside and to the aluminum tub around the perimeter. Also the skin has already been glued to the tubing with sika 252 so whatever I use must be compatible with touching 252. Sika offers so many products but when you narrow it down to what they show to use for direct glazing of glass to metal, the options are 265, 255 FC and sikatack ulrafast US

javajoe79

Fabricator
I spoke to Sika today and they recommend using 255 with activator and 205 primer before the 255. Is the activator and primer necessary in your opinion? When I look at my suppliers website I see activator 060H1LT primer and activator 205 primer. Are those correct? He only told me activator and 205 primer.

I've heard several folks say using 252 without primer is fine so I am guessing it's just another step to make an even better joint?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Use the primer if you want it to last. It is not worth the risk of the glass coming off for $50 worth of primer.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I'd buy the cheap stuff from the local auto parts store. That's the way all auto glass used to be installed right into rusty and painted metal frames. I used to buy junkyard windshield and put them in with one tube. Save the priming ect for the glass on ships that take a beating from waves over the bow.

S2DM

Adventurer
If you are bonding directly to raw aluminum I would definitely recommend the primer. Powder coated aluminum id care less.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
3M 5200 is unbelievable. Watertight and a super strong adhesive.

Messy to work with, comes in colors. I buy mine at Westmarine or Fisheries.

If the alu is clean and free of contaminants, once this stuff sets it isn't comeing off. Certainly sanding the alu won't hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94