2nd Gen Xterra/Frontiers: What have you broken?

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
I've gone pretty easy on mine I suppose. Went through a bunch of factory fog lights trying to crash through water crossings with them on like a cool guy. Hot glass vs. sudden exposure to cold water.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Good lord! You've put your rig through the ringer! What obstacles cause the breakages? This is good info right here. No half shafts though which is impressive (or not impressive since the diff blew first). I'm throwing the lokka in the front to save myself from any spider gears going but my c200k rear is going to be left alone for now.

R180 #1: 18-20" of heavy late season snow in Vermont. Winding trail uphill through the woods (decently graded class 4 road in the summertime). Heavy equipment grade tire chains on all four wheels, over 255/85 KM2s. 3rd gear/low range, way too much throttle. It was digging through all of the snow plus a few inches of dirt throwing rooster tails going up the hill at 4-5mph. The left front side chain grabbed the cut end of a small log that was sticking out into the trail and stopped that wheel dead (from probably 25mphish of wheelspin to zero instantly). The front spider gears/cross pin broke instantly.

R180 #2: Spring Creek Trail, Colorado. Heavy rock crawling up hill at high altitude (11k+). In retrospect I feel like the traction control system was acting up, causing both front brakes to effectively lock on. I was having to give the vehicle almost full throttle just to creep along. There was no big bang - just lost front drive and heard the front ds clanging around sitting on the crossmember.

C200k: Hells Revenge, Moab. Following the above earlier R180 break in Colorado, it took a lot of work (and abuse to the rear differential) to get the vehicle up the final 25% of the Spring Creek trail in 2WD and winching. I believe this compromised the rear spider gears and Tip Over Challenge on Hells Revenge finished them off. I had the open diff welded up in town and finished the trip, then put another 5000 miles on it welded before swapping in the M226.

12038928_748027859536_2201189523950880645_o.jpg

Colorado%20-%20pinion%20sheared.jpg

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
^Excellent info here. A bummer you had to go through that many diffs, but interesting to hear how you did it and in what kind of terrain. I like your style! Killer shots too of your rig there.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I think the stock diffs are plenty strong for moderate use with an experienced driver. Wheelspin/bouncing/shock loading are the death of the spider gears. The Xterra traction control system is rather excellent and used appropriately will keep you from doing much damage. In most of the cases I have read about other R180 failures, the drivers turn off the TC and use wheelspin instead. Why - I don't know? Inexperience and misunderstanding of traction control I guess.

I had no intention of swapping in the M226 and M205. I had purchased torsen style limited slip diffs for the R180 and C200 and was about to install them - which would have worked amazingly well compounded by the TC - but I stumbled on a stellar deal on the M226/M205 already freshly built.

I think the D40 platform (Frontier/Xterra/Pathfinder variants) is overall very stout. Just look at what they do with D40 Navaras in Australia. The Xterra is just a small SUV D40.

Dmski

Adventurer
I remember a thread you started for the torsen LSD's and wondered what had become of that. Would have been the only one that i've heard of.

Agreed on the D40 platform as well. I'm amazed at what I can put mine through. If anyone wants to read some interesting builds go check out the navara forums from Australia. Those guys drive the piss out of their rigs on much rougher roads than most would see in the US.

Thanks for sharing! Would you carry halfshafts or an extra drive shaft or any special tools for trail repairs now after having done 3 diffs?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
With a Lokka in the front I'd probably have a spare front axle close at hand if you can spare the room.

The tools are all very standard save the large socket (32MM I think?) for the front axle nut. You typically don't need an impact wrench to remove it on the trail - a long breaker bar, and a friend standing on the brake pedal to keep the hub from turning work pretty well in my experience.

Otherwise it's basic metric wrenches and a solid handheld sledgehammer to knock the ball joints loose.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I'm loving this! I have dreams for my '11 p4x. With the manual I'm sort of boned on a quick easy Titan swap. Everything I'm doing is aimed at toughening it up and increasing reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trikebubble

Adventurer
250000KM on my 07 Off-Road. I bought it used with 180000KM on it, and replaced both front hubs right away. I've had my inside fan blower go, and my motor fan clutch go. I've also replaced the rear hatch struts as they were starting to lose their effectiveness. Replaced the front sway bar joints too as they were worn right through.
I also had a front driveshaft U-joint go on me. Started by giving me a slight vibration and ended with a good cyclical knocking sound. I replaced both front U-joints at a minor cost.

I've replaced the suspension, and noticed that the stock shocks were pretty much shot when I removed them, though as they were replaced at around 240000KM I'm not really complaining about their quality or longevity.
I have done the bypass mod, and did add in a second auxiliary tranny cooler as well. I had some slight overheating issues last year, but attributed them mostly to a clogged and dirty radiator. It was amazing the difference it made, after I rinsed out all the mud and dirt from the external fins of the radiator.

I carry a spare front axle and a spare front inner axle c-clip with me. I was working on the suspension once and allowed the front axle to drop too far and it popped out of the dif. The little c-clip was mangled so I had to buy another to re-insert the front axle.

Aside from those minor things, she has been a fantastic vehicle. I've towed a 4000 pound trailer to Oregon twice, I tow my travel trailer all over the local area, up until a few months ago it was a daily driver, it's seen a lot of off road trails, and we took her on a 6000KM road trip to Colorado and back this summer all without any major issues at all.

Absolutely love my X, would buy another in a heartbeat if this one got up and walked away.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I forgot that I've been chasing an intermittent overheating issue that I think stems from there being an air pocket in the cooling system. I do also notice a slight coolant leak where the bottom hose connects to the overflow tank (not a wet leak, but a build up of dried/calcified coolant at the junction). In the past 12 mos I have had to top off the cooling system with maybe 12oz of fluid.

Mo4130

Adventurer
I forgot that I've been chasing an intermittent overheating issue that I think stems from there being an air pocket in the cooling system. I do also notice a slight coolant leak where the bottom hose connects to the overflow tank (not a wet leak, but a build up of dried/calcified coolant at the junction). In the past 12 mos I have had to top off the cooling system with maybe 12oz of fluid.

Have you let it sit over night with the overflow bottle open? Sometimes they can work themselves out.

Dmski

Adventurer
Shouldn't have created this since I just jinxed myself... Rear shackle bushings and front SPC UCA ball joints aren't doing so hot. The ball joints I know got torn due to the alignment tech messing up my alignment and forgetting to torque those bolts down causing the wheels to go full wobbly and camber in. The rear bushings are just old but I'm not impressed with OME's yellow polybushings.

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
I'm loving this! I have dreams for my '11 p4x. With the manual I'm sort of boned on a quick easy Titan swap. Everything I'm doing is aimed at toughening it up and increasing reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW,

Don't feel like you HAVE to do anything. I'm not sure how much off-roading you've done with your Pro4x, but I've had mine (all stock drivetrain and suspension) WAY out there without any issues/damage. The thing really can perform as shipped. I was sure I was going to end up stuck in the middle of no where a few times, but the X just kept trucking (I did break both of those silly mudflaps off the back though...a tiny bit of damage). That said, you may off-road all the time and already know this...I just didn't want you to think you have to go and spend money/modify to get off in the dirt....

As for the original question. I'm 35k in on my X with no issues what so ever. My Fronty before had a leaky axle seal...that was it. Good trucks!

Dmski

Adventurer
FWIW,

Don't feel like you HAVE to do anything. I'm not sure how much off-roading you've done with your Pro4x, but I've had mine (all stock drivetrain and suspension) WAY out there without any issues/damage. The thing really can perform as shipped. I was sure I was going to end up stuck in the middle of no where a few times, but the X just kept trucking (I did break both of those silly mudflaps off the back though...a tiny bit of damage). That said, you may off-road all the time and already know this...I just didn't want you to think you have to go and spend money/modify to get off in the dirt....

As for the original question. I'm 35k in on my X with no issues what so ever. My Fronty before had a leaky axle seal...that was it. Good trucks!

Exactly! This not intended to be about what you need to upgrade. I've wheeled the stock Xterra and it's plenty capable and fine. This is more a way to see what typically breaks when you play a little too hard. And what people can possibly bring to mitigate those issues when on the trail. By all means I don't think anyone needs to run out and upgrade or buy spare parts just because someone said they need leaf springs or something.

Personally I like to learn about what is commonly broken so that I can better prep for the failure if it does occur and maybe even have the parts and tools to fix it on the trail. best example for me is that these trucks need a 32mm socket to get the axle nut and the after market UCAs loose. I now pack one in case I break a half shaft or if I have an issue with the control arm. Already has come in handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz