2001 Chevy Suburban 1500 Blue 4x4 Build - Arizona Native

Arizona Native

Been reading this forum for awhile and decided to join.
In Arizona as name states, and have a family of 5, with 3 kids under the age of 4, so that's 3 car seats in the Suburban. We have done car camping mainly, but thinking about a 'camping plan/goal' that involves going as far as we can with the Suburban, than possibly backpacking a bit further. We probably will never tow with it, so that hasn't been a concern. Obviously not a rock crawler, but needs to handle some pretty rough roads.

I can do quite a bit of work myself, but build work is slow since I live in condo with no garage.
As a note, because of the condo, my roof rack and overall lift options are limited, since I have a low hanging car port to park in. I have under 4 inches to work with before I hit a fire sprinkler.

One of my lofty goals is to take the family down Cherry Creek Road (FR203) in the distant future. I know it might be impossible in the Suburban, but whatever, not letting it stop me--yet.

Current Technical details:
2001 Chevy Suburban 1500 LS 4x4
- 'Towing package'
- Bought used about 6 months ago, had maybe 212,000 miles. 213,000 miles on it now.
- Mostly Arizona vehicle with minimal rust (for 213,000 miles, that is).
- 4L60E with cooler
- 10 bolt rear axle
- I installed keys and spacers (approx 40" to rear fender, 39" to front fender)
- I installed moog OEM rear springs
- Realized torsion bars are sagging since I had to max the leveling keys, and still only got a few inches of lift.
- 285/70/R17 Cooper Discoverer MTPs (a little over 32" diameter maybe)
- New sealed battery from autozone
- Stock radio and sound
- Supposedly newer 70,000 mile engine and trans replacement (what the prev. owner told me, probably lied to sell at higher price, I was dumb and I'll never really know)
- 4x Bilstein 5100s

Confirmed Upgrades (research completed):
- Airlift 1000 airbags (will work with spacers)

Current Ongoing Research:
- Cognito UCAs
- Need to find decent AZ fab shop for custom bumper, or looking at wilco tiregate for spare tire holder
- Researching how to replace 10 bolt axle with 14 bolt 6 lug, and if I can do it in my carport :p
(09222016 - everything looks good on this so far, have to find and get an axle from a 2007+ GM similar style vehicle)
- 4l60E to 4l80E trans swap, I've done A LOT of research on this, since the trans right now could go out. It seems it might be doable by myself, but more research needed. I also like the idea of the 4L65E spec.
- B&M (some have stated that tru-cool is the same but cheaper) transmission cooler
- Some lights that go on the liftgate when open.
- Create and install custom intake for snorkel, and custom fiberglass snorkel
- Painting it over with plastidip, maybe forest green or something, pretty low priority though.
- Torsion Bar delete with coilovers (09222016 update, after a lot of research, I'm leaning away from this, cost issue, but also want to keeps things simple)
- Differential drop

Build Design Guidelines:
- No major engine mods, unless a better OEM part is available, keeping it stock.
- No intention on towing
- Not sleeping inside vehicle
- I like to have a sort of simplicity/reverse-ability in all other mods, nothing too crazy. Snorkel would an exception.
- Some of the roads I've been on, I feel like having a lift much larger than what I have would not help, especially when looking down 1,000-2,000 ft drops on single lane dirt roads.
- Transmission conversion is another exception, since reliability is key in that area.
- In the state of Arizona, if you don't already know, we have any and all weather conditions (no, its not all desert). Mud tires might seem weird, but even in Phoenix flash floods can be an issue. On our recent trip to the 'rim', it hadn't rained for days, but there were still 2 foot deep puddles in the road every few hundred feet or so. A few years ago, there was snow in Scottsdale, which is normally in the 100's in summer time. Desert, Dust storms, Mud, Snow, Floods, Rocks, Mountains, etc.

Boring stuff:
- Newer brakes all around and just bled brake lines, brake fluid was almost black and replaced rear pass. caliper because bleeder broke

So, seeing as I am naive and new to all this, I will now go back to stalking everyone else's awesome builds (right now eyeing geronracing's build).

0902161118a_resized.jpg
0902161115_resized.jpg
0902161115a_resized.jpg
0902161118_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Another one for the mafia. :sombrero: Nice to see.
I see lots of trees - are you around Flagstaff?

Stryder106

Explorer
Hi and Welcome. Check my My 02 Avalanche NFE thread - as our platforms are very similar and I've done a lot of what is on your list. For shocks - check out Eibach Springs - the Pro Truck Sport shocks might be exactly what you are looking for. Those shocks were designed using my Avalanche as the test bed and are specific to what we do - daily driver, towing, and off-roading. The shocks are extremely impressive and very affordable. Billstein is also a good shock - but the Eibach's were specifically designed for these rigs and this purpose.

I added the Air Lift bags inside of my rear coil springs - they do the trick when we are loaded or I'm towing.

Your 4L60E is a ticking time bomb (I've been through three of them). It's a GM design flaw, aluminum drum, steel shaft. I just put a completely fresh 4L60E in my Avalanche with not a single stock part in it - everything is matched and upgraded and I have a lot more confidence (my last one decided to start letting go 10 miles out on a trail at Lake Mead). You should look into that.

Consider a dual battery and isolator setup.

You have a pretty good punch list - but most importantly - get out there and enjoy it. And when you do, pay attention to the things that either bother you or limit what you really want to do - and add them to the punch list. Have fun.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks like real nice clearance as it is, plus no sideboards / nerf-steps. You've already got most the lift I'm striving for. Someone will doubtless say 'H2 springs' or you might consider an air bag setup. Especially if you are considering on-board air anyway.
See Jelorian and 02Tahoe's builds for rear spare mount inspirations. And there are a lot of similar rear swingaway builds in the Storage subforum.
See the topics I've got scattered all over for passenger-related power mods and my 'Hey Vortec Guys' topic for mechanical maintenance issues you might run afoul of. And I heartily recommend starting your repair parts searches with rockauto.com. No connection, just a very satisfied customer. Their prices are fantastic and shipping is prompt.

And if you want some camping shade on a tight budget,
|
|
|
|
V

rayra

Expedition Leader
And how do you like your hitch basket setup? I've been considering the same, Harbor Freight has a nice 500# capacity basket, but it's a straight receiver tube design. Then have a gooseneck riser version, but it's only rated for about 40% the weight. Been thinking of making a 'Frankenbasket' with the 500# kit as a starting point. Make a plate gusseted gooseneck riser. But can only go up so far before the rack starts blocking the Liftgate.
mostly considering it as a fuel can rack, for bugging out of L.A. Still in the doodle stage. But ultimately more likely to go with a rear swingaway design.

Arizona Native

Hi and Welcome. Check my My 02 Avalanche NFE thread - as our platforms are very similar and I've done a lot of what is on your list. For shocks - check out Eibach Springs - the Pro Truck Sport shocks might be exactly what you are looking for. Those shocks were designed using my Avalanche as the test bed and are specific to what we do - daily driver, towing, and off-roading. The shocks are extremely impressive and very affordable. Billstein is also a good shock - but the Eibach's were specifically designed for these rigs and this purpose.

I added the Air Lift bags inside of my rear coil springs - they do the trick when we are loaded or I'm towing.

Your 4L60E is a ticking time bomb (I've been through three of them). It's a GM design flaw, aluminum drum, steel shaft. I just put a completely fresh 4L60E in my Avalanche with not a single stock part in it - everything is matched and upgraded and I have a lot more confidence (my last one decided to start letting go 10 miles out on a trail at Lake Mead). You should look into that.

Consider a dual battery and isolator setup.

You have a pretty good punch list - but most importantly - get out there and enjoy it. And when you do, pay attention to the things that either bother you or limit what you really want to do - and add them to the punch list. Have fun.

The 5160s are reservoir shocks, how would the eibachs compare to those, do they have a res too?

Thanks for steering me to the airbags, I was looking at them but thought maybe something else was wrong. From my research now it seems to be a fairly common issue, I'll probably be buying some soon. Are they the firestone coil rite ones?

I did forget to mention I've been looking at the 4L80E swap, found some good how to's. I also live in the same area as Hughes Performance, so I might go to them for more info.
How did you know your trans was going out?

Arizona Native

Looks like real nice clearance as it is, plus no sideboards / nerf-steps. You've already got most the lift I'm striving for. Someone will doubtless say 'H2 springs' or you might consider an air bag setup. Especially if you are considering on-board air anyway.
See Jelorian and 02Tahoe's builds for rear spare mount inspirations. And there are a lot of similar rear swingaway builds in the Storage subforum.
See the topics I've got scattered all over for passenger-related power mods and my 'Hey Vortec Guys' topic for mechanical maintenance issues you might run afoul of. And I heartily recommend starting your repair parts searches with rockauto.com. No connection, just a very satisfied customer. Their prices are fantastic and shipping is prompt.

And if you want some camping shade on a tight budget,
|
|
|
|
V

Oh yeah, rockauto is where I normally start for part number and price searches, that and GMparts direct. I would like to learn how to weld my own bumper, but I don't have any space to weld anything. Hoping to find someone to just do something simple, no fancy looking angled stuff or anything.

Arizona Native

And how do you like your hitch basket setup? I've been considering the same, Harbor Freight has a nice 500# capacity basket, but it's a straight receiver tube design. Then have a gooseneck riser version, but it's only rated for about 40% the weight. Been thinking of making a 'Frankenbasket' with the 500# kit as a starting point. Make a plate gusseted gooseneck riser. But can only go up so far before the rack starts blocking the Liftgate.
mostly considering it as a fuel can rack, for bugging out of L.A. Still in the doodle stage. But ultimately more likely to go with a rear swingaway design.

It is the steel one from Harbor Freight. I got it when they were having one of their 'sales' for $50. It works, we used it just for the cooler. Kind of a temp solution for me, I would rather not have to use it, but the trip before I bought it we filled the Suburban up really quick. I'm trying to downsize the stuff we bring along, and maybe transfer a small amount to a roof bag.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Welcome to the site and nice to see another GMT800!

The springs on yours must be tired as I've had mine fully loaded for 4 days camping with 5 adults and 2 kids and the rear didn't sag that much. I also had a rear HF cargo carrier (with 2 coolers and some folding chairs on it) on the back as well and a Thule cargo box on the roof.

Good luck on the mods. Been thinking about the 4L80E and the 14 bolt swap as well. Actually even thought about trading in my 1500 for a 2500, but mileage will suck with the 6.0.

Happy to answer any questions but my knowledge is limited compared to the gurus on here.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Arizona Native

Welcome to the site and nice to see another GMT800!

The springs on yours must be tired as I've had mine fully loaded for 4 days camping with 5 adults and 2 kids and the rear didn't sag that much. I also had a 500# capacity cargo carrier on the back as well and a Thule cargo box on the roof.

Good luck on the mods. Been thinking about the 4L80E and the 14 bolt swap as well. Actually even thought about trading in my 1500 for a 2500, but mileage will suck with the 6.0.

Happy to answer any questions but my knowledge is limited compared to the gurus on here.

Cheers!

That's why I'm so frustrated, I just bought new Moog springs (oem replacement)! Although I didn't get new rear shocks yet. I know some people say that shocks don't control height, but I'm starting to have doubts on that statement. The shocks I don't think have ever been changed so that's 213,000 miles. I'm think I might need to get some new shocks, see how it does, then complain to moog if there are no changes.

Oobray

Adventurer
Nice rig! Shocks definitely do NOT control ride height (unless you have AutoRide) but definitely worth a change if you're unsure of their mileage. I highly recommend the Fox 2.0 for forest rutted road use. They also drastically improved the ride on my 2500 Yukon. Good luck, keep the pics coming!!

Miatch

Observer
I have a 2002 with 7" lift and 35" tires and air bags in back.
The shocks are Full Throttle Suspension 2.0 Reservoir.
My truck rides better now than new. My Sub is the only one at the race track that doesn't drag the back because of the air bags.

IMG_5043-1.jpg

Arizona Native

I have a 2002 with 7" lift and 35" tires and air bags in back.
The shocks are Full Throttle Suspension 2.0 Reservoir.
My truck rides better now than new. My Sub is the only one at the race track that doesn't drag the back because of the air bags.

View attachment 367886

Yeah, I'm thinking the airbags are the solution, I just called Moog tech support and they said even with new OEM style springs that's the way they are. I noticed above that Jelorian has a Z71, which from what I've read has stiffer springs to begin with.
I could have bought the Z71 springs, but I didn't want to have to raise the front-end even higher to match, as I know how the front axle angle gets worse. At around 40" to fender, I feel we are good, kids already have a hard time climbing in.
Hey, its good for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94