12v panels and controller recommendations ?

lockedwheels

Adventurer
Soooo I am going to be buying some 12v solar panels, probably 2ea 160w. I have two house batteries that I will be running. I am not really running a lot of electronics (edge star 43qt, and some lights, maybe a heater rarely) not doing extended camping either maybe 2-3 days. I have done some research but haven't found to many reviews or opinions on 12v PWM controllers. Anyone have any suggestions, opinions, avoidances ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lockedwheels

Adventurer
2 batteries (100AH?) and 2-3 days, you could get away with no solar at all. I'd just grab a low buck controller from ebay :) Don't worry about LED displays etc, get something that is tough and waterproof.

I run a couple of this style, not sure if they are MPPT but do a good job of keeping my battery charged (I have 280W of panel for 170AH of battery)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30A-MPPT...hash=item51bd849d33:m:mNf2_9DUWDBQmNp7yhokI4w

Cheers
Steve

That's what I thought. I'm somewhat educated and found a decent deal on 190w 24v panels. I messaged the guy and he turned out to be a dealer. We were talking and he thought I needed 3 panels!! I thought that was crazy. My initial game plan was to run two 120w-130w panels while knowing that was plenty of power incase I want to up my power usage. When he said I needed 3 panels I figured he was just looking to make some money. I am just wanting to get a decent controller for a 12v system.

4x4junkie

Explorer
(edge star 43qt, and some lights, maybe a heater rarely)

An electric heater (run from an inverter)? Or are you referring to the fan in a propane furnace?

If the former, you'll likely need a generator to run that (electricity is probably the least-efficient means to generate heat).

W/O the heater, you probably could get away with just a single 160W panel (or two 80W ones).
I have an Edgestar 43qt, 10-20 watts of LED lighting items, playing the stereo, and occasional charging of large R/C model batteries, and my 170W solar setup (2×85W) has had almost no issue keeping up with it.

Morningstar makes some of the best controllers IMO. I use the SunSaver MPPT-15 for my 170W setup.

Know that a MPPT controller is essentially required to make decent use of 24V-rated panels on a 12V system (they can step down the panel voltage where a PWM one cannot). A PWM controller is best used with panels rated for 12V use on a 12V system.

That's too small even for a single 160W panel on a 12V system.
For a MPPT controller, figure you need 1 amp for every 13 watts of solar. So for two 160W panels, you'd need a 25A controller.
For PWM controllers, the controller amperage rating needs to be the same or greater than the sum of the amperage rating of your panels.

Last edited:

lockedwheels

Adventurer
An electric heater (run from an inverter)? Or are you referring to the fan in a propane furnace?

If the former, you'll likely need a generator to run that (electricity is probably the least-efficient means to generate heat).

W/O the heater, you probably could get away with just a single 160W panel (or two 80W ones).
I have an Edgestar 43qt, 10-20 watts of LED lighting items, playing the stereo, and occasional charging of large R/C model batteries, and my 170W solar setup (2×85W) has had almost no issue keeping up with it.

Morningstar makes some of the best controllers IMO. I use the SunSaver MPPT-15 for my 170W setup.

Know that a MPPT controller is essentially required to make decent use of 24V-rated panels on a 12V system (they can step down the panel voltage where a PWM one cannot). A PWM controller is best used with panels rated for 12V use on a 12V system.

That's too small even for a single 160W panel on a 12V system.
For a MPPT controller, figure you need 1 amp for every 13 watts of solar. So for two 160W panels, you'd need a 25A controller.
For PWM controllers, the controller amperage rating needs to be the same or greater than the sum of the amperage rating of your panels.

So I was checking out the heater and you are correct, so powering that is out of the question.

dennismc

Observer
You might want to contact Overland Solar and discuss what your plans are, they have complete setups, are very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful and pricing is very fair.

I too just did a small solar system to run a fridge and maybe a few other accessories. For me a 20A was plenty so I picked up a mohoo. This is their newer version and the older version had really good reviews as well

71YVyCO2rWL._SL1200_.jpg

Mohoo 20A 12V 24V Auto Switch LCD Intelligent Solar Panel Battery Regulator Charge Controller Overload Protection Temperature Compensation

lockedwheels

Adventurer

Greg_Volkman

Observer
I have a gensis 100W panel ($104 shipped on amazon). I love it, VERY high quality with a good warranty. I have some details in my youtube video (link in my sig). My charge controller is an el cheapo, but it works great too. Most people here would probably not like it ($20).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94