Advice on a land cruiser

Bscott1

New to the land cruiser life. Looking for one to do a trip from alabama to Colorado and back. Found a 93 80 series for $6400 with 267k miles. Head gasket has been replaced and pretty much all hoses and working parts. It has a dual battery system and its super clean. New tires and 2.5" lift. Like to know if it's worth looking at. Not really sure about the life span and dependability of these. Any advice on this would be great. Thanks

BulletHead

Adventurer
Best year for a 80. Do a compression test. Check knuckles, axle been rebuilt? lockers?
Cant go wrong if its all operational, most capable LC ever.

Klierslc

Explorer
No sure you can call the 93 the "best" year for an 80, but there is certainly nothing wrong with them. I'd make that trip in a heartbeat--if the HG was done, most of the little stuff that gives you headaches will have been done also. The price is a bit steep, but if you look at the cost of new tires, dual battery, lift, and HG work, it isn't bad...

louie1726

Do it! you might be able to haggle done a few hundred bucks... If not, still worth it, that is if it has lockers. No lockers, no deal, unless you can haggle down $2400 to offset a set of ARB air lockers and a compressor. I just bought a 1994 Land Cruiser, running well, stock, terrible paint, 238,xxx miles, full lockers for $3100..... A steal...

Bscott1

It doesn't not have the lockers. Says all New belts and hoses, power steering pump, all vacuum lines have been replaced, New radiator. New plugs, plug wires, distributor and New brakes. But no locker. Really like it but really want the locker

Upland80

Adventurer
You can drop an Aussie in the rear for about $300. Or you can have an Aussie in the rear and a Harrop In the front like I did for about $2K. The rig and maintenance history are far more important than lockers. Mine is wired up to an OEM switch...sweet!
2016-05-29%2012.42.35_zpscclz3tqb.jpg

Bscott1

I was kinda thinking about adding the lockers later just cause it's in great shape with all New parts. And its a lot cheaper than the fj I'm looking at building. Figure the 80 series will be a good starter rig as well since it will Be my first long wheeling trip.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I would worry less about lockers than I would the overall condition.

And just to clarify - I believe some 1993s were still FJ80s, not FZJ80s. Do you know what engine this one has in it? Most 1993s should have the newer engine, but there were some FJ80s still being sold in 1993.

Other than in sarcasm or personal bias, I don't think there is any objectively "best" year 80 series. I personally would rather have the OBDII of the 1995+ and dual airbags, but that is simply preference. $6400 seems a little high to me given the miles. But depending how clean it is, maintenance history, and how much you value the add-ons, it could be worth it. At that mileage, make sure the PHH was done within the last 100K miles. Because they are so durable, 80 series are still widely available. Finding one that has been well maintained, well that's a bit tougher.

I sold my clean 1995 2-3 years ago for $7k with 180K, triple locked, newer 285s, OME stock height springs, and all maintenance done and documented (axles, starter contacts, fluids).

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My late 93 had the FZ and 4spd AT. The Head Gasket in that engine was typically blown by drivers thinking it was a 5+L V8, and / or not keeping the aging cooling system up to snuff. It wasnt a product of bad Head gasket install at the factory.

Bscott1

The seller has tons of service records of New parts And maintenance. It has the 4.5 litre motor in it. Just skeptical of the miles and driving on an overland trip. But I'm also New to how these Toyotas are.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
2004 I bought mine from the original owner with 104,000. I drove it about 4000 mi a yr. Spent about $4000, on old car stuff, valve cover, front axle seals, all new brake lines and ABS harness during the 8yrs I owned it. Not a cheap machine to run. 12mpg averages, the maint stuff needs to be done right or its just thrown away money. Its a fun truck but its not a cheap machine in any form. And at 12mpg its not exactly a long highway trip machine. We usually take Our Subaru on long trips. The old LC stayed close to home.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I sold mine in 2011 with 153k on it for $7000 in mint shape. Having owned one. I would never pay anything over 4k for a 200+,000 mile old J80 Land cruiser. The 100 series engine is sooo much better, and its a far superior long haul rig, also has more modern crash standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior