CB radio suggestions

MOguy

Explorer
your antenna and how you mount it is the most important thing.

Get a new antenna, new mount and new cable. I have an everhardt antenna that has been great, many like firestik.

Mount the antenna to the body (to clean metal) of you vehicle as high as possible. Don't mount to fenders, doors, hoods or bumpers or things that attach to the body. Whatever you mount your antenna to becomes the other half of you antenna, the more metal the more ground plan = a better antenna setup.

There are always compromises with the antenna. Long antennas are better but they may get in the way. High dead center on your vehicle is best but it may get in the way or you my have a rack in the way or a soft top.

Get whatever CB floats your boat, new or used. You don't have to break the bank. It is nice to have a weather channel and PA.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
I have a cheap little Cobra I picked up at walmart. Honestly have more in mount, cable, and antenna. No issues on the trail for me. As long as your antenna is tuned you shouldn't have a lot of problems in a small group.

dstock

Explorer
I have the Cobra 75 like many but it seems every time I head out on the trail, most everyone is using handheld FRS/GMRS radios which work fine but harder to hear and forever bouncing around in the cab. Saw this GMRS mounted radio on the Midland site which looks pretty nice alternative!

https://midlandusa.com/micromobile-2-way-radio/

prerunner1982

Adventurer
I have the Cobra 75 like many but it seems every time I head out on the trail, most everyone is using handheld FRS/GMRS radios which work fine but harder to hear and forever bouncing around in the cab. Saw this GMRS mounted radio on the Midland site which looks pretty nice alternative!

IMO it would be better with a few more watts and I would upgrade the antenna if I got one.
It is not able to do repeaters either.

It also requires a license ($65 for 5 years, covers immediate family, no test)

This is basically what Australia and New Zealand have gone to as the new CB.

Not a bad deal though if more mobile radios were available and licensing was not longer required it would make a better platform for offroad vehicle communication at least within a group which is what most off roaders use a CB for anyways. They are FM so the sound quality is better, the radios are small, the antennas are much smaller and easier to mount, and since they require considerable less ground plane mounting location would be a bit more forgiving than with a CB antenna which would be a good thing for the typical user who is not into radios.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

Going a little off the CB topic, but for GMRS it is pretty hard to beat the Baofeng UV-5Ra at $26.

I don't think is worth paying more than $50 for a CB (and then get a decent antenna), because you are only going to be using it for in-group comms. About the only time my CB gets any use these days is on the interstate listening to truckers (and it is a whole lot quieter than it used to be) or on an organized trail ride. If your CB is not a handheld, I guarantee that someone else in your group is going to be the weak point in the chain. :)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I was at EJS a couple of years ago. The trail leaders were local and new a lot of the history. Through the whole trip they were telling us about the history, and current events.
It was totally awesome. If I never used the cb again that one trip was worth the price.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Full size CB if you talk a lot, use long sentences, or get spread out more than a few miles on the trail.
Hand held talkie, Cobra 75, or Midland 75-822 (if you want a combination of both).
The Cobra and Midland don't have the duty cycle for long winded conversations - rag chewing. Both have great Rx capabilities.
Your comment got me to thinking, I never really considered duty cycle on a CB because to me they were all basically interchangeable and 4W AM never struck me as particularly trying for normal sized radios. I can't find a rating for the the Cobra 27 WX ST but the Coba 29 is rated for 50% duty cycle and a similar Cobra 27 EU is rated for 29% duty cycle. The remote box on the EU one appears to me to be more robust compared to the U.S. version, too. So you may have a completely valid point, so thanks for making it. I'd have to, based on my small amount of research, have to expect the 27 WX ST to be rated for quite a bit lower duty cycle. I'm still looking into the Uniden PRO520XL that I run, but the only thing I've found is a reference to SWR stability using a 83% duty cycle but I doubt that's what the transmitter is rated to do continuously.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Your comment got me to thinking, I never really considered duty cycle on a CB because to me they were all basically interchangeable and 4W AM never struck me as particularly trying for normal sized radios. I can't find a rating for the the Cobra 27 WX ST but the Coba 29 is rated for 50% duty cycle and a similar Cobra 27 EU is rated for 29% duty cycle. The remote box on the EU one appears to me to be more robust compared to the U.S. version, too. So you may have a completely valid point, so thanks for making it. I'd have to, based on my small amount of research, have to expect the 27 WX ST to be rated for quite a bit lower duty cycle. I'm still looking into the Uniden PRO520XL that I run, but the only thing I've found is a reference to SWR stability using a 83% duty cycle but I doubt that's what the transmitter is rated to do continuously.
I've fried a couple of Cobra 75 wxst radios by leading group rides and needing to talk a bit. They get hot. Then they don't work well. Then they don't work.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader

I've fried a couple of Cobra 75 wxst radios by leading group rides and needing to talk a bit. They get hot. Then they don't work well. Then they don't work.

Along with Tx I think Rx duty cycle would also be reduced if an external speaker is used. Just using the mic head, I've had 4+ hours of solid RX chatter with no issues at all.
Everything is in the head. The external box, is only a junction box, which allows the din connector of the mic to connect separately to B+, B- and Antenna.
The head unit fits comfortably in the palm of the average man's hand. So that's a lot of circuitry packaged into a small foot print.

All that said, short of trail leader duty it's a great radio. The lower the SWR the better the duty cycle will be.
As you can see from the ratio of positive reviews to negative over the whole net, it is very well regarded. Even places like amazon have reviews of 80% at 4 stars or better.
https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST...8&qid=1475159605&sr=8-1&keywords=cobra+75wxst
The nice thing is, it is very easy to tell when the finals get hot since they are in the palm of the hand.
If there is a "Chatty Cathy" in your rig, just hold the mic over the A/C vent for a bit... :elkgrin:

My two favorite things with this radio.
1). Exceptionally small foot print that disconnects and disappears when not in use
2). Very clear Rx speaker in the handset, and I get great Tx reports

My two least favorite things:
1). The mic is contoured backwards. Perfect for a lefty in the passenger seat though.
2). The cost. In the end it's about twice the cost of a big box

dstock

Explorer
Along with Tx I think Rx duty cycle would also be reduced if an external speaker is used. Just using the mic head, I've had 4+ hours of solid RX chatter with no issues at all.
Everything is in the head. The external box, is only a junction box, which allows the din connector of the mic to connect separately to B+, B- and Antenna.
The head unit fits comfortably in the palm of the average man's hand. So that's a lot of circuitry packaged into a small foot print.

All that said, short of trail leader duty it's a great radio. The lower the SWR the better the duty cycle will be.
As you can see from the ratio of positive reviews to negative over the whole net, it is very well regarded. Even places like amazon have reviews of 80% at 4 stars or better.
https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST...8&qid=1475159605&sr=8-1&keywords=cobra+75wxst
The nice thing is, it is very easy to tell when the finals get hot since they are in the palm of the hand.
If there is a "Chatty Cathy" in your rig, just hold the mic over the A/C vent for a bit... :elkgrin:

My two favorite things with this radio.
1). Exceptionally small foot print that disconnects and disappears when not in use
2). Very clear Rx speaker in the handset, and I get great Tx reports

My two least favorite things:
1). The mic is contoured backwards. Perfect for a lefty in the passenger seat though.
2). The cost. In the end it's about twice the cost of a big box

Pretty much all the reasons I went with the Cobra 75wxst myself. Small footprint being key. Other than trail runs, I just don't use thing, and of late, the FRS/GMRS radios have been getting the majority of the use. As mentioned by another poster, even on the highways these days not much info to be gained from the CB. My only complaint with the FRS/GMRS radios is that they are hand-held, hard to hear at times (i.e. roof open/off on the JK), always seem to be floating around the cabin, etc. Add in a remote mic, power and ext ant and things start to get messy. Same issue with a handheld CB.

I've got a Baofeng UV82HP and am studying for my HAM license so maybe that will become a replacement for trail comms, but still has all the handheld issues above.

In the end it all comes down to what you are using the comms for, how often, and what your trail mates use.

My friends will tell me to "shut the hell up" long before I fry my Cobra! :wings:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I used a Baofeng UV-B5 for a year or so until I lost it :(. Worked great. Just replaced it with the Baofeng GT-3TP with the 3,800 mA battery.
I'm impressed with the upgrades They've done on this new version but really miss the VFO knob.
Also have a nice set of Motorola FRS radios that work very well. Pretty much a necessity for running "Private Channels", which transmit an Hf tone to open squelch.
Depending on which group I'm running with, it's all covered. CB-Ham-FRS-GMRS, and it all fits in a small locked box in the Jeep. :)
After I pass the General test I'll get an HF rig, something like the Icom 7100/Kenwood 480SAT/Yaesu FT-857D.

If you have the time, it would be worthwhile to get your general at the same time you do the tech license. Tech is very easy to study for, and pass. General opens up a whole better world. :beer:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Also have a nice set of Motorola FRS radios that work very well. Pretty much a necessity for running "Private Channels", which transmit an Hf tone to open squelch.
Just FYI (you may already know this) the Motorola Private Line (PL) tones, really any CTCSS tones, are neither private nor HF. They are actually low frequency, so-called sub-audible, around 70 to 100 Hz. Your radio's speaker is just too small to produce them but you can hear them on a scanner or radio that doesn't filter the pass band as tightly (such as an all mode that lets you adjust the filters). As far as being private, anyone not running PL tones will hear all the traffic on a channel regardless. Tones only block your radio from hearing other radios with the wrong tone.

Uniden makes a wireless mic for use with the 880/980ssb. Kenworth in Spokane had a ton of them last time I was in there. I didn't like the price though, over $100. I thought it might work well to remote mount a 980ssb. I decided on a Cobra 75 for the jk instead. I have a 980ssb in my truck, and I really like it.
The jk has a 5' firestick mounted on a swing away tire carrier. It sounds good on both ends, but I'm not sure of the range. I have 2 4' firesticks on my truck, I keep it squelched out about half way. It gets out far enough for the pilot cars to stop traffic for me.
Try out whatever radio you choose for a while to see how you like it. You may not want an external speaker.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Just FYI (you may already know this) the Motorola Private Line (PL) tones, really any CTCSS tones, are neither private nor HF. They are actually low frequency, so-called sub-audible, around 70 to 100 Hz. Your radio's speaker is just too small to produce them but you can hear them on a scanner or radio that doesn't filter the pass band as tightly (such as an all mode that lets you adjust the filters). As far as being private, anyone not running PL tones will hear all the traffic on a channel regardless. Tones only block your radio from hearing other radios with the wrong tone.

yep exactly. Sorry I meant to write LF not HF.
My point was a Ham Hand Talkie programmed to FRS won't open squelch on an FRS radio set to a "private channels", as it won't transmit an LF tone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles