OzTent from RTT

RumBum

Hey guys, I've been a long time member on ih8mud.com and just posting here for the first time. I'm looking for some opinions on the OzTent RV-4, RV-5 & sleeping pads. We do all of our camping out west, CO, UT and planning a WY & MT trip for 2017 summer. Over the past 3 years, we started with an ARB Simpson RTT then moved up to the big CVT 4-person RTT when we started bringing our 2nd child along. Right now we're 2 adults & 2 kids under 7. Climbing in and out has become a bit of a pain especially in the middle of the night. Planning to purchase an OzTent but trying to figure the space & gear tradeoffs between that and RTT. We use a pretty well equipped 100 series Lexus LX470 to camp out of and we pick up and move daily. Right now, RTT is about 150# on top of the truck. We stuff all of our pillows & sleeping bags in it while traveling daily which frees up the cab nicely. As every other thread has said, ease of RTT setup & breakdown is awesome and that is why I'm going with the OzTent.

The OzTent will fit perfectly on my FrontRunner rack and will weigh about 100# less than my RTT which is nice. But now I know I'll have a gear bag or 2 on the roof rack containing the sleeping bags, pillows and sleeping pads or mattress. Trying to minimize space needed on the rack for the extra sleeping gear. We're not using cots for that reason. The foam mattress in the RTT has been pretty cush over the years. What sleeping pads or mattresses have you guys found work for 4 people but compact nicely to stow away? I'm shooting for 2 mattresses/pads for the 4 of us. I'm thinking a couple full air mattresses might be the ticket. Trying to keep setup and breakdown of the tent quick and painless since we move daily and the other trucks in my group are still using RTT. Let me know your thoughts!

Last edited:

C-Fish

Adventurer
I completed a week long journey with two others in early September. Both have trailers, we don't.

We sleep in the back of my FJC. Foxwing awning and walls for privacy.
One trailer was equipped with a RTT, the other used an RV5.

Setup and tear down was the same for all three vehicles basically. About 30 minutes to unpack and about 45 to pack and be ready to move. The RV5 setups up quick and easy.

Biggest issue in a ground tent is finding flat level ground....much easier to level a vehicle or trailer IMO.

1Louder

Explorer
I will second what C-Fish said. I borrowed an RV-5 once from the same person who was on the trip C-Fish described. They are great but you need level ground. Pro's and cons to every setup. RV-5 more portable and you may be able to place it in a more scenic spot than where you vehicle and trailer are allowed or can get to. While you can set it up in "30 seconds" that does not include securing is properly and adding all of your gear inside. If you prefer to sleep on a cot, like me, well add more time for setup and teardown.

krax

Adventurer
I enjoy my RV-5. Sturdy, quick setup, room to stand up.

For sleeping pads, regular air mattresses are pretty terrible. I wanted an Exped Megamat Duo, but when I couldn't find one I bought this pad [ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M0YYBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ] and it's comfy, but huge (50" long) and the price was right to take a chance on it.

I store all of my sleeping gear in the vehicle, but I've considered using a soft bag on the roof. Specifically, I'm thinking of using a waterproof bag meant for a hitch rack but attaching it to the roof lengthwise next to the OzTent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior