Recovery board/bridge from drop sides?

Coachgeo

Explorer
Has anyone ever seen mention or done a conversion of a drop-side bed panel into a recovery board/bridge. Strengthen it and add ridges for Tire grip? Got an LMTV which has drop-side bed. These are aluminium removable sides. Searched with google but found nothing. Open to suggestions on search terms.

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Firstly, fit a knuckleboom crane to your truck.
A bridge to bear your truck will weigh more than you plus four guys can take off & position.

yeah aware of that. An ATV winch mounted high might could help? Would not consider something heavy duty enough to be bridging more than one wheel's carrying weight at a time. Still though do realize bridging may be too ambitious where sand/mud ladder-ish kinda thing is a bit more reasonable.

Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I remember Camel Trophy videos where they had narrow bridges (not the Marston mats) for their pizza cutter wheels that could be used to cross small trenches, although they were often lashed on top of tree trunks to cross larger spans.
https://youtu.be/9yGqCJ-ipuk?t=18m46s

I don't think they could handle an LMTV though. You'll need a M60AVLB for that.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
It'll work. And it'll bend. Then it won't be usable as a bed side any more.

Hdramps.com can make you a custom set of sides if you wanna spend the $$. They make the ones sold on discount ramps. They make a nice product but I bet custom orders would be pricey. Made in America in Wisconsin I think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior