longer, narrower solar panels?

rfoubi

Observer
So I have been looking to get a solar setup going on my rig. I would eventually like to have two panels, one permanently mounted on my roof box, and another than i can move out into the sun when camped. My problem is on the road, the only space i have to put a panel is on top of my ski box (other side is usually surfboards or canoe). I'd like to have a panel that sits on top of the roof box and is picking up sun all the time. Problem is, I have an old school, narrow, long square thule box. Its 15-16" wide, and i am having trouble finding many solar panels this width. Any ideas? All that i can find are either only available on uk/australian websites, or prohibitively expensive ($500 for 80w, etc). I feel like if i mount a wider panel on the roof box, the wind will catch it and blow the whole thing away.

Alternatively, i suppose skip the roof box idea and just get a cheap, decent framed panel and stow it somewhere and deploy when camped.

DSC_3253.jpg

this is the box I am talking about. Except the config now is bikes behind box, surfboards along whole driver side roof space.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You should look for an older solar module - the Arco/Siemens solar modules were 13 inches wide by 53 inches long - you's want one called an M55 or M75 (slightly shorter and lower wattage).

I've seen them up for sale on Craigslist occasionally.

unseenone

Explorer
Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Those flexible solar modules are more than TWICE as large and give less power than the zampsolar 80 watt module. Not ideal in my opinion for vehicle applications. Long term life is also a concern - hard to beat glass for resistance to degradation - although glass can break of course. Many of the flexible panels suffer from delamination and internal corrosion.

unseenone

Explorer
Yes, I agree on your points, different needs for different folks and all. That aside, they make up with efficiency what they lack in performance. The negative, they are not making it to permanent.

rfoubi

Observer
So i decided go multiple smaller panels (Renogy 30W. 2 for now, will add a 3rd and a portable when funds are a little more freed up) and am now deciding on mounting. Do you guys think the channels in the roof box (around 1cm or 1/2") would provide enough airflow to keep the panels cool? Or should I further raise them off the roof?

heres a sneak peak of how they will look (sorry for the **** iphone in the dark photo)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94