Newbie here...RTT's Any advise for 3 people

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera
I hope I'm posting this in the right area but if not please let me know.

Just want some advise as to what type of RTT would fit right for me and our family. We are a family of 4 really but mom and kiddos will sleep in the RTT. I can rough it out. We have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-dr. Wanted to get some advise as to what type of rack I should be needing on the roof of my Jeep and also what type of RTT I should get. Please if you could tell me the model and type and maybe price range and why you recommend it, that would be extremely helpful.

Never been camping but would like to start the tradition with our daughters. Not going to go out into the woods for weeks, just a few days to try out the equipment and the family to see how everything is handled then progress as we go from there.

Thank you so much!

Jr

djaraceandrally

Adventuring somewhere...
Hi,

Cannot give you advice in the rack, thats fairly vehicle specific. But can reccomend the RTT. We have a Eezi-Awn 1400 T top. That means it has a ladder thats enclosed under a extention. From the extension, 4 sides drop down to form a tent underneath. It also means when going up the ladder, the main roof tent doesnt get wet. I have slept downstairs too. So it gives you more option's. If the weather turns bad, you and the kids have somewhere to go and shelter from it other than the truck or the sleeping area. Its big enough to sit and eat in there too.

In the Uk it works out $2000 dollars. They are from south africa and the quality is top notch. But if you dont get that make, others have that useful feature.

Beats a basher in the Saudi desert!! Im an ex royal marine!!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Semper Fi brother... that is all :safari-rig:

I agree with the concept of an RTT up top with an attached room. We did not go that route (wife wanted a hard side camper) but a buddy with 2 little ones did. He and wife are up top, kiddos on cots in the annex. Slick set up.

1Louder

Explorer
Larger 23 Zero tent or Mt Rainier by CVT. 23 Zero has some higher end features for the same price point as the CVT. Anything with a Cal King mattress width or larger will give you plenty of room for 1 adult and 2 kids upstairs and one adult down.

Greg_Volkman

Observer
I have a Tuff Stuff 4x4 overland tent with a very large annex ($1300 shipped). It's very high quality! I am going to do a video review on it soon, but I have some pics and videos already in the links in my sig. I have 12 nights in it thus far (and my kids spent 7 nights on inflatable twin mattresses in the annex this summer). I am happy with my purchase and it's pretty well built. I welded the trailer rack myself. Details in my sig!

17.jpg17.jpg

16.jpg16.jpg

Greg_Volkman

Observer
I would also encourage you to look for a trailer...it is very nice to be able to leave the tent up in camp and go wherever I want to go. I wouldn't like having to stow the tent every day to go wheeling and I would also be worried about hitting it on trees/etc, every time I wheel.

Ducmonsta

Observer
Before you invest thousands of dollars into equipment, I'd recommend going camping first. Find some used gear or better yet, borrow some. Start with a ground tent and good sleeping pads. It'll be much easier to recoup your money from those items than it will be for a RTT and/or roof rack if you find out you or your family aren't cut out for camping. Especially since you've never been.

Leish

Before you invest thousands of dollars into equipment, I'd recommend going camping first. Find some used gear or better yet, borrow some. Start with a ground tent and good sleeping pads. It'll be much easier to recoup your money from those items than it will be for a RTT and/or roof rack if you find out you or your family aren't cut out for camping. Especially since you've never been.

I'm a newbie myself, and I know this is a great advice. I've been planning to do exactly that myself, so I definitely second this. You shouldn't buy a trailer or a tent if you aren't sure what exactly you're going to do with them and what you need from them.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Probably the best advice! My parents camped with me since I was an infant. They did the pop-ups back then, then moved to 2 tents (one for them, and one for me and my sis) then moved to a 19ft travel trailer before we got too old and busy to camp as a family, but still had the tents for the odd trip with friends. My parents moved to a enclosed gazebo and a BYOB for tent camping with my cousin (but haven't in the last several years since she passed), as well as a large season park trailer for the last 15 years as a relaxing getaway only 30min from home. I've camped a lot in Scouts, as well as with the Army, but I hardly call that camping in the army, and my army friend wonder why I like camping...but it's totally different, haha!

I chatted and joked with my mom not that long ago about my camp setup and all the stories and (mis)adventures when we did it. Oh the rain, all the stories of poor weather and rain, and LOTS of rain in oh so many different ways. I'd say how I camp now is really en evolution of over 30 years of camping experience, despite that I'm only 35, but I'm tailored my camping setup on my experiences and what I found as faults or that I didn't like. Mostly long setups, hard to do setups in the dark and/or rain and wet. Comfortable sleeping and keeping dry makes a huge difference in personal morale high and just enjoying the experience with as little stress as possible. This year we had 50+km/h winds (a tornado touched down from that storm) try to fold the RTT back in half, with my girlfriend inside it. Also my best friend and another friend got shocked by a close proximity lightning while hold down their gazebos. Normally in crazy storms the RTT holds steady and firm. We also learned flaws on the poles that hold the awning need some extra support/locks since the twist-lock of the poles isn't sufficient. This is one of many examples of trying and learning and adjusting. It's hard to jump in 2 feet first into camping, cause when things don't go as expected, it can make or break the experience and discourage you or your family to return.

Me and my girlfriend did a 12-day trip out East this year, and we only spend 2 night out of the RTT at the start of a trip (visiting her friend), but after 12 days, I wasn't burnt and would of kept on going...that's what it should be like.

Last edited:

rodrage

Adventurer
My 2 cents- I looked at many RTTs here in the states. When I first started looking, they were few and far between. Understand, any of them worth buying are expensive. After a few days in camp, I get tired of "ground weather". I also didn't want an RV or enclosed environment. I currently building a small trailer and adding my older Tepui Autauna which is built for 3 people, and has an annex. They are very solid, comfortable and comparable to those I've used in Australia. You may want to consider the hassle of an RTT. If it's a full time vehicle mount, remember giving up clearance for low garage doors, public parking, automated car washes, and extra care if it's in the constant sun. All of these things are factors, and I hope they help make an informed decision.

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera
Ex-Royal Marine: THANKS for your country's service and thanks for your answer. I just finally got around to reading it as I see I have other comments. I'm in the United States. Do you know if they sell this type of RTT in the states? At the moment, I'm not in the states. I'm traveling and so it makes it a bit difficult for me to get some answers. Thank you for yours though. Truly appreciated.

Jr.

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera
Semper Fi brother... that is all :safari-rig:

I agree with the concept of an RTT up top with an attached room. We did not go that route (wife wanted a hard side camper) but a buddy with 2 little ones did. He and wife are up top, kiddos on cots in the annex. Slick set up.

jscusmcvet: Semper Fi to you too brother!!!! Thanks for chiming in. Do you know what type of RTT your buddy got? Got to love wife's and their needs huh. I'm sure if you would have had your way it would have been a RTT hands down. I'm sure my wife is very okay with a RTT or a hard side camper. But I'm not going to be too generous and give her the option, lol :p I just want to keep it compact and easy put up and take down type of deal.

Jr

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera
Larger 23 Zero tent or Mt Rainier by CVT. 23 Zero has some higher end features for the same price point as the CVT. Anything with a Cal King mattress width or larger will give you plenty of room for 1 adult and 2 kids upstairs and one adult down.

1Louder: Thanks for your response. I'm going to look into this option. Being that I don't know anything about RTT's. How is a Cal king mattress configured inside the RTT? Does it hang out the roof of the Jeep? Boy I have a lot to learn.

Jr

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera
I would also encourage you to look for a trailer...it is very nice to be able to leave the tent up in camp and go wherever I want to go. I wouldn't like having to stow the tent every day to go wheeling and I would also be worried about hitting it on trees/etc, every time I wheel.

Greg_Volkman: Thanks for the input. I also have a completely restored 1940's BT3-C and a 1965 M416-B1 unrestored that I'm going to be working on once I return back to the states. I was actually considering putting the tent on the trailer but I thought I would be best secured on top of the Jeep but you are saying that it would be best mounted on top of the trailer. Let me ask you...how does your set up handles when the trailer is not hooked up to your rig? Can your family still use the RTT even though there is nothing holding that trailer from tilting or going sideways on you. How high is the rack set up on your trailer in order for the RTT to work properly? Are you located in or near California? Would love to pay you a visit and see your creation. If that's possible, that is. By the way, I'm in Southern California in the San Diego county line.

Thanks,

Jr.

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera

Ducmonsta: Thanks for the honest advise. I have thought about that too. I did go with a friend camping once a very long time ago when I was very young but never been camping with my family and wife, so we have never done it. I know my wife would do great in the out doors since she comes from a similar background AND she can cook any where being with a stove or a wood made stove or whatever. I think she could make it better in the woods than me!!!, for crying out loud, lol :p

Jr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz