Bill1111

How hard to open up the front wall?
Wiring a problem?
Trying to make up my mind on type.
What are auto chains?
Are they worth Having?

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
We had walk-through on our "shopping list" but found an ambo which was perfect in every way... but no walk through. And we're not missing that. We could open up the window, into a door, but that would mean taking out some cabinetry we've come to like. I actually think walk through isn't as big a deal as we originally thought.

Auto chains are chain segments (like 12-18 inches long) on a wheel, mounted inside each rear tire. When activated, an air cylinder pushes them down and over, contacting the tire... then, as you drive, they spin the chains underneath the tire tread. They are like instant snow chains. All the fire trucks here have them. Good for road use and snow. But I don't know if they would help off roading.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
To add on to what rossvtaylor said about autochains, they are only good for maintained, paved roadways with less than 4-6 inches of snow, which is why they are frequently found on school buses and ambulances. Deeper snow will interupt the spinning motion of the autochains and cause them to not deploy under the tire correctly. The same goes for not-flat roadways. They are also REALLY heavy. I'd say the set weighs 200 lbs or so.

My ambulance came with a set of rotochains. I never used them and needed the weight savings so I deleted them. I don't miss the chains continuously clinking away either.

Here's a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPd3O5_SJEs

I have a walkthrough and while I use it quite often to move in and out of the cabin, I could see myself not missing it if I didn't have it. I think the dogs like it best as they like to sleep on the front seats at night and enjoy being able to see out of the front windows while we're inside the rig. That said, I "use" the walkthrough the most not by walking through it, but rather by looking through it in my rear view while driving. While I'm comfortable driving a vehicle without a rear sight line, I prefer having as much view of my surroundings as possible when driving.

I'm sure the seasoned veteran ambulance guys on here can provide better and more accurate information, but I'd imagine the only hangup for cutting a walkthrough into the cab and box would depend on how far apart the studs at the front of box are spaced, and how the box is attached to the cab. With that said, is your cab attached to your box or is separate like a pickup cab is separate from the bed? If they are separate the box will move independantly from the cab and keeping it water proof will be impossible. If the box and cab are fused together waterproofing shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Bill1111

Still in the shopping/ research mode.
Like the idea of moving back and forth without exiting.
Also the dogs can be checked on

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The 97 crestline I have only had a pass through window... It was a major PITA.

It was easily removed. With the right tools handy, the wall would come out in 1/2 an hour or less. I had to remount one of the cabinet's door catches because they didn't align right, but the holes were already there.

For other ambulances, you'd have to look at the layout... If all that separates the front is s sheet of aluminum, it'll be easy to revert to a walk through... If there are cabinets in the way, that will be a different story.

Mine had a wall added because the purchaser required it... But it was an add on that was easily removed.

I'd not have it any other way... But I have considered a curtain or sliding door for privacy in the back when changing etc.

The front also heats up in summer much faster... The back's insulation does make a big difference.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Worked in ambulances fifty percent of the last 16 years. Never had a use for the walk throughs other than to yell at your partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Going from the drivers seat, and around the Ambo to the side door gets really old when you've got kids in the back... After 5 trips in 15 minutes. It's also convenient to park, walk into the back, and lay down without going outside into the rain and wind storm.

Different situation from working with a partner in the back who doesn't need help with his seatbelt.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Worked in ambulances fifty percent of the last 16 years. Never had a use for the walk throughs other than to yell at your partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, operating an ambulance as an ambulance is a different use than operating an ambulance as an RV.

In addition to my post above, the walkthrough allows the cab to become an extension of usable living space while camping, at least for kids, pets, and storage, without having to get out of the box (meaning I have to put pants on!).

I actually set up a swinging baby gate in my passthrough so I can keep the dogs from trying to climb up front while driving, and set up a curtain with snaps to provide privacy and block the sun when sleeping in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94