Diy solar components help

in the process of acquiring camping gear in order to get the family out more. I know to make it more enjoyable to them it would be nice if we had access to electricity to charge phones/tablets, power fridge (don't own one yet but let's say a 60 qt fridge), led camp lights, water pump and small tv/led computer monitor (can't get away from work). I would like to start with a 100 watt system but would like the option to grow to 150 or 200 watts if needed once I acquire all the equipment like a fridge. I know how to wire everything but I just lack the knowledge of what components to buy in terms of brands and models and where to buy. Would need to be portable so I could take with me no matter which vehicle I drive to site. Would only use for weekend trips so let's say 3 days max. I don't want to have to upgrade components later so would rather buy the right components now. I have searched and see a lot of suggestions so here is what I am thinking and not thinking...

Solar panels: renogy 100W rigid X 1
Controller: Morningstar mppt but no clue on which one
Battery: no clue which one. Is wiring to car battery good idea?
Inverter: no clue which one
Wire: what size would be best?
Connectors: any suggestions?

Am I missing anything?

1Louder

Explorer
Why not get a Renogy 100 watt suitcase which is meant to be portable and has a carrying case?

Battery yes you need a deep cycle battery with as many amp hours as you can carrry. Just remember a Group 31 battery typically comes in at around 75lbs. Not exactly portable. An ArkPak would give you all the other components all put together in. A neat package. If you don't want to spend the money on that then search and read one of the many threads on DIY Powerbox.

I have read too many threads today but just digging for some recommendations. I looked at the renogy kits but now sure if the controller is any good. So I didn't want to buy the kit and end up not using all the parts.

Never heard of the ark pak. Would prefer to build my own in order to learn about the components however not opposed to buying a pre-made kit either. Thanks for the information.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I would recommend a Bogart SC or one of the smaller ( but large enough for your upgrade) Morn ingstar controllers.
Might look at handy bob solar for some very opinionated commentary.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
You don't need to spend any extra on an mppt controller if you're using 12v panels. Super happy with our Renogy 100w panels, been running them for a couple of years now first on the house and now on our full time camper.

1Louder

Explorer
The controller on the Renogy Suitcase is great. It provides a lot of detailed information. You can get all of that info on the Renogy site. The one complaint is that the controller is not waterproof. If you can't come up with a DIY cover then get the suitcase without the controller and put one where you see fit.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
100 watt panel will only get you 5 amps of power whether you use pwm or mppt controller. For 100 watts a wincong 10 amp pwm controller (less than 20 dollars) will work.
Pwm controller will work on low voltage panels (20 volts) and you can use them also on higher voltage panels without damaging them. I use the smaller pwm controllers on my 240 watt panel with no problems.

Mppt controller is for the higher voltage panel (30 volts or higher) but you can also use them on low voltage panels. With high voltage panels it take the higher voltage and converts it to more amps.
Example with a 240 watt 36 volt panel, with pwm you only get 6 amps, but hook it up to mppt and you get 12 amps of power.

You can always get a ecoworthy 20 amp mppt (about 100 dollars) and use it with a 100 watt panel. Later you decide to get another 100 watt panel. Now hook both low voltage panels in series and you got a 200 watt high voltage panel, mppt will now be able to extract all the usable power out of the panels. Ecoworthy is a good mppt for the price I had mine for 3 years and its been very reliable. less than 1/3 rd the price of a morningstar.

For connectors use the xt60 plug, thats all I use, they can handle up to 60 amps. You can buy 10 sets for less than 10 dollars.

Its best not to rely on your start battery as the solar system battery. They drain too quickly. Whatever size you get just remember that you can only use 1/2 of it. A 100 ah battery only has 50 ah of usable power. Once the battery voltage drops to 12.1 volts your at 50 percent. 12.7 is a full battery.

Get the smallest inverter that you will need. If you only need to power a laptop, you dont need a 2000 watt inverter, 200 watt is the max you need. Large inverter are inefficient with small loads.

Any 12 volt fridge should work with solar as long as you dont use it as a freezer.

All I use is a small netbook which I can run all day/night off of solar/battery. A bigger laptop and you only get 3 or 4 hours of use.

Instead of microwave (large inverter) to heat up food use a 12 volt roadpro lunchbucket cooker, use about 6 amps of power in 25 minutes of use. Comes in handy when you want hot food without using gas.

You have to downsize all your power needs, otherwise you will need multiple large batteries to run everything at night. Myself I use a kinetik khc2000 (about 102 ah) agm battery, its a car audio type battery but works good on solar. I have a 400 watt modify sine inverter and a 150 watt pure sine inverter.

AndrewP

Explorer
Good "starter" system, good performance, good price:

Renogy 100 watt "suitcase" panel

Morningstar SunSaver 10 PWM controller

Costco Group 27 Marine battery (100 amp hours)

Mount the controller near the battery. Forget using normal appliances like a microwave. TV is borderline too. But it's enough to run a fridge and charge a cell phone. In general, avoid inverters.

Your next install can be a 240 watt 24 volt panel, 20 amp MPPT controller, paired Costco 6 volt golf cart batteries in series. Still not enough power for a microwave, but likely enough for everything else.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Good "starter" system, good performance, good price:

Renogy 100 watt "suitcase" panel

Morningstar SunSaver 10 PWM controller

Costco Group 27 Marine battery (100 amp hours)

Mount the controller near the battery. Forget using normal appliances like a microwave. TV is borderline too. But it's enough to run a fridge and charge a cell phone. In general, avoid inverters.

"Good" is probably the wrong word for that... That is a Great starter system. :) Only thing is the OP wants a little room for future upgrading, so I'd probably recommend a 15A solar controller of some sort. And I definitely recommend if you do get the Renogy suitcase, get it without the controller, since they attach their controller right onto the back of the hot panel, which is about the worst place possible for a controller (like said, you want the controller right near your battery, out of the heat & weather).
Costco's batteries are a superb value (and are the same ones I use in my rig). Unless you plan to run a winch off a single battery, there's simply no need for overpriced AGM type batteries. Lacking a Costco card, another good option is the Deka Marine Master sold through Lowe's (the home improvement center). Be sure to get the #DP27 (maintenance-free version), Deka also sells a version (#DC27) that still requires you add water to it occasionally (a bit of a hassle IMO).

My solar kit is two 85W panels I home-built into a suitcase (170W), and a Morningstar SunSaver MPPT-15 controller. The panels are wired series to the controller with 50' of inexpensive, yet very durable #12 AWG landscape lighting cord, the controller-to-battery lead is 3' of #10 AWG with battery clips to quickly attach onto any battery (battery + lead also has an inline ATC (blade type) 20A fuse).
As for connectors, I started with SAE DC connectors, but after a couple failures, I've been slowly migrating over to the XT60 connectors. Many swear by Anderson PowerPole connectors also.

View attachment 153773
View attachment 153772

Bear in NM

Adventurer
4x4,

That spool on the back of your panel is a nifty idea. Thanks for posting that. While I have had my system for only a short time, I have been very pleased with the Anderson connectors.

Craig

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have been very pleased with the Anderson connectors.
I use Powerpoles on everything. The PP45 can accept a 10 AWG wire, which is what I use, and still interconnect with the PP15 and PP30 if necessary. I use them everywhere, ham radio, chargers, batteries, fridge, anything low voltage gets them so can connect anything to anything in the house or truck.

I have the same Morningstar SS-MPPT-15L that 4x4junkie shows. I've been happy with it, been about 4 or 5 years I guess that I've owned it. It controls a Sharp 230W, 24V panel and my battery is an AGM that is still in good shape, so it seems to do a good job at conditioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles