Gen 2 Feedback

Jarhead74

Observer
Greetings,

Been lurking on here for a while as we rebuild a 2001 trooper engine for my soon to be driving son. Anyways, I travel for work and some of it is by car. I prefer using my own vehicle vs rental plus I get mileage reimbursement. Now I know my current vehicle (2003 camry 4cyl) is a good commuter, its boring and I'm a big guy so pain to get in and out. We have had few Gen 3 monteros (02, 05) before getting a minivan when the nose pickers came (3). Those were great vehicles.

To the point, been looking to get out of the camry. Found a 98 trooper 5 speed with a 17k mile engine installed. Thought that would be fun. Been also looking for some 96-98 Cherokees. I also searched for Monteros, but they have slim picking in the south East. At least for a sub 5k price.

This weekend I found a 97 LS with 150k miles. Blue/gray. The ad says the engine rebuilt along with lots of other work. I called the guy and he rebuilds these on the side. Said when he purchased, the original owner did not change timing belt. It damaged the timing pulleys along with bending valves. So here is the work done:

Rebuilt heads with new parts
New timing belt
New water pump
New factory radiator
tensioner
New tires
New KYB shocks
New Brakes
New piston rings

He is asking 3200, but the ad has been out for a month or so. I believe will take 2900. Interior is clean, seats not ripped. Paint really good shape. Some fading on roof, but cmon its a 19 year old vehicle.

So, I will be putting many miles on this. I know 19/20 MPG on hwy. Will redo the hubs to manual along with all synthetic fluids, that is for just piece of mind.

Can I expect another 100K+ miles out of this montero? I would have liked a 99 or 2000 endeavor but do like this one along with a top end engine refurb. Welcome feedback. Thanks Gents.

Attachments

• montero.jpg
    montero.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 44
  • WP_20160716_08_54_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160716_08_54_03_Pro.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 40
  • WP_20160716_09_09_36_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160716_09_09_36_Pro.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 42

Dereksd

Adventurer
One thing I can point out is that this is not a 97. Looks like a 95-96. 97 had wider fenders and different body cladding. One thing to ask would be if he did the timing belt with OEM parts or aftermarket. Aftermarket timing belt kits tend to crap out kinda early. As to 100k more miles, if you take care of the montero it will take care of you. Best of luck and welcome to the group!

Jarhead74

Observer
Thanks for the feedback. Looking on all the info, the 97 had a SOHC, which looks like in the pics I have. The 96 still have the DOHC's. I will double check with he owner.

Also looks like the SR maybe had the fender flares, while the LS just had the smaller ones molded in the sheet metal. But again, this is based what I have seen out there.,

Clem

Adventurer
Seems like a deal to me. Others know more than I, but I would think you could expect 100K miles out of this one. Also, you are correct regarding the fender flares and year of vehicle (based on my experience SR's had the larger fender flares, so this vehicle could be a '97, since it is an LS).

YMMV,

Clem

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
One thing I can point out is that this is not a 97. Looks like a 95-96. 97 had wider fenders and different body cladding. One thing to ask would be if he did the timing belt with OEM parts or aftermarket. Aftermarket timing belt kits tend to crap out kinda early. As to 100k more miles, if you take care of the montero it will take care of you. Best of luck and welcome to the group!

Actually, no, the wider fenders did not come along until the 98 model year. But the 97 did receive the 3.5 SOHC and is a "better" engine than the earlier 3.5 and you can easily see 250k or more miles out of them.

Jarhead74

Observer
Will be looking at her tomorrow. I also found a 2000 for 1500 in the south. The owner states needs alternator and EGR valve, BUT has not clue on maint history beside oil changes. While the 2k looks nice, hard to beat a top end rebuild with receipts along with all the other items. Leather would be nice, but the cloth on the 97 is clean. If for some reason the 97 falls through, might look at the 2k. It has 160k miles.

Will update once I see the 97 tomorrow.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Go for the cleaner one that you know has been rebuilt, a bad EGR can cause a lot of other issues with the engine and throw off the resistance/readings of other sensors that can rape your wallet.

Jarhead74

Observer
Well, I got the 97 with the rebuild. The guy was very detailed with everything he did. He has done 10 of these to sell. The original owner ran it until the timing belt shred and jumped. Causing damage to valves. He gave me all recipts of everything fixed. He even returned the replacement radiator which was plastic for a metal one. It drives great. Has the KYB shocks, also new. So this weekend she will get a interior bath/shampoo as has few stains but overall very clean.

Got a small valve cover leak, even though has new gaskets. Will check the bolts first. The 4wd lights (2 front) are flashing. All the vacuum lines are new, so it might be solenoids. I checked the solenoid by unplugging and went off but came back. I found a new replacement on amazon for 22. States fit this year montero.

Will need some bushing replacements and got a leather steering wheel skin coming, the kinds you sew. She has been running dino oil for the break in, but in another 1500 miles she will be upgraded to synthetic.

Now this will get various responses, but trying to understand. The manual states Dex 2. I know many here recommend Mits SP3 I found some Kia SP3 on amazon for 11, so might use that. Just wondering why the manual would state Dex 2 along the FSM.

Very happy with the Monty. She drives great. I do have some upgrades in mind which are more towards road driving then off road:
Pioneer cd player
Better headlight bulbs (or swapping the headlights from a 98-2k, as they are clear.)
Would like to get the bumper ends from a 98+ with fog lights but if cannot find, will go with LED mounted on the bumper.
Along with changing all the fluids, need to lube the window tracks along with the soon roof cables

Do have a question. The Monty has the factory alarm with the red button on the right of the dash I have to push to start the vehicle. I want to order a keyless remote but not sure which one to get as one did not come with it, so do not know the FCC number. Any one got some pics of theirs they could share? Plenty on Fleabay, but just need to get the right one.

Also if anyone has a drivers side gray seatbelt they want to sell. Mine is frayed, so would like to replace that quickly.

Jarhead74

Observer
Short update. Ordered a new Free wheel solenoid for $22. That fixed the flashing 4wd lights. Underneath looks very clean, but all the grease fittings will need to be hit. Will be changing the oil next weekend since had it will have 5k since the top end/ring replacement. Will put in Rotella T6 5-40.

I tried to shampoo the interior with the wife's carpet cleaner. The good news is the carpet looks new. The bad news is the foam in the seats bled in some spots so the seats look worse then before. Will let it dry and see if I can not get them too wet and get the stains out of the fabric.

The montero runs great. My only concern right now is one of the coolant hoses is so close to the power steering pulley. The guy I purchased it from wrapped it with a thick rubber sleeve and tied it to the radiator, as he already lost a hose from it rubbing through. Not sure if the replacement radiator is thicker, as its metal.

TheMole

Adventurer
Short update. Ordered a new Free wheel solenoid for $22. That fixed the flashing 4wd lights. Underneath looks very clean, but all the grease fittings will need to be hit. Will be changing the oil next weekend since had it will have 5k since the top end/ring replacement. Will put in Rotella T6 5-40.

I tried to shampoo the interior with the wife's carpet cleaner. The good news is the carpet looks new. The bad news is the foam in the seats bled in some spots so the seats look worse then before. Will let it dry and see if I can not get them too wet and get the stains out of the fabric.

The montero runs great. My only concern right now is one of the coolant hoses is so close to the power steering pulley. The guy I purchased it from wrapped it with a thick rubber sleeve and tied it to the radiator, as he already lost a hose from it rubbing through. Not sure if the replacement radiator is thicker, as its metal.

Here's something similar if it's your radiator hose that's rubbing.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ose-AC-Compressor-Problems?highlight=radiator

Jarhead74

Observer
Thanks. Really enjoying the Montero. One issue I need to fix is the headlight aiming. Seems the plastic hub is not strong enough to turn the flat piece that moves the adjuster. I kind of would like to find some 98-00 headlights, as they look like they put more light on the road. Anyone have any ideas where to get some? Been looking on ebay and junkyards. Actually found new ones but they are from China/Latvia. About 180 for both with shipping appose to about 150 from junk yard.

If anyone has some or a place to get some 98-00 headlights , please let me know.

Some other items done. Ordered new leather steering wheel cover, the kind you sew on. Also got a remote will be programming this weekend. On my first trip today got 402 miles on 20 gall. Of course it has stock tire.

Jarhead74

Observer
Installed my Gen 2.5 headlights. Night and day difference at night. Right now just using silverstar ultra. The roof rack was peeling, so I repainted after doing some prep work with some Hammered can. It looked so nice, decided to do the front grill including the 2 emblems. I have that huge faded spot on the roof, but that will be handled this winter with a complete roof spray.

Put on 1300 miles last week for work. Ran great. The KYB Shocks are bit rough, might go to the Bilsteins down the road.

I also took off the running boards. Believe looks better without.

Attachments

• 20161015_155905_1476573345886.jpg
    20161015_155905_1476573345886.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20161015_170008_1476573345076.jpg
    20161015_170008_1476573345076.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 17

Dprisner

Observer
Great looking SUV Jarhead74! Reminds me a little of my own '97 LS..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads