Electric Brakes and House Battery Question

JPShooter

Adventurer
Hey guys. There's a lot of wisdom in all things electrical here, so I figured this would be the place to ask for assistance.

I've converted my surge brake rig to an electric over hydraulic setup. The system is working as it should, however, I've got a wiring issue that needs ironing out to make it all right.

My issue is this. I am using my house battery on the trailer as the power source for the electric brake breakaway system. My house battery is a 125AH AGM in an ArkPak on the trailer, but the ArkPak is not grounded to the frame of the trailer (did not need it to be prior to this).

Now that I have hooked one of the leads from the breakaway switch to the ArkPak, unless the ArkPak is grounded to the frame (which is at the same point that the 7 Way tow vehicle wiring is also grounded), the breakaway will not make a complete circuit.

So my question is: is there any potential harm to the ArkPak in running a wire from the ArkPak negative terminal to the common ground point on the trailer, thereby enabling the breakaway to have a ground that is common to the tow vehicle?

I hope that what I am saying is making sense, as I am far too removed from anyone vaguely resembling an electrician. I know enough to know when I need to consult a more knowledgeable source (I hope)!

Thanks

JPShooter

Adventurer
No harm. Just as you wrote, connect ArkPak negative to trailer chassis.

Point of curiosity, How do you recharge ArkPak ?

Thanks Verkstad for the input.

I have the Batt. lead from the seven way routed into the truckbox in the the trailer that houses the ArkPak, as well as the ground lead from the seven way. These are hooked up to a cigarette lighter style outlet into which the included charging cord that comes with he ArkPak is plugged into. If my memory serves me correctly, this will give me around 80 watts of charge to the ArkPak while driving.

JPShooter

Adventurer
Thats what I suspected.
Charging from your car, Your ArkPak negative is already connected to chassis.
Of course during breakaway that connection would fail. ArkPak needs a negative connection maintained.

I had not thought of that connection. When I tested the breakaway, the charging connection for the ArkPak was not plugged in, so I had an issue and went about trying to figure out what the cause was.

I'm glad now that the charger was not plugged in. Had it been, then I would have gotten a good test and stopped there.

JPShooter

Adventurer
Just so long as there is nothing I can harm by connecting the ArkPak negative to chassis ground on the trailer, that's my main concern.

I wouldn't think so, but like I said, I'm far from being an electrician.

Thanks Verkstad!

1Louder

Explorer
I would confirm this with ArkPak support. They helped a friend of mine with some charging issues. In the end his is setup like a dual battery with a controller between the ArkPak and the other battery. Not your issue although it would make charging more efficient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior