Timing belt+the whole shebang? Or just the shebang?

• Thread starter Deleted member 144409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 144409

Hey Experts,

I'm getting ready to dive into my '89 Raider. I hope to post a build thread later. I am replacing the valve cover gasket and doing some other house cleaning (like, literally) that I haven't done since I bought it. A lot of the little stuff (O2, PCV, etc) and the timing belt. The service manual lists 6 easy steps on the timing belt while Chilton's has 25. The former is clearly scarce while the latter has a lot of details around TDC which will be new territory for me.

What should I expect?

Also, I'm migrating parts from my '91 LS donor. The main things being cruise, oil cooler, headlight washer and A/C. I'd kinda like to do all of this at once "while I'm in there". I'm a fair-to-middlin' mechanic and concerned about jacking something up and then having to back track a long ways. Obviously the AC and Cruise have the biggest variables/impact.

Suggestions? Do the timing belt and the smaller items as one job, then the bigger items in another push?

Or throw caution to the wind and hopefully not post a lot of questions here? No guarantees on that, anyways.

Thanks!

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Dfreem01 - my personal preference has always get it all done at once - but I'm eh roughly 3 weeks into my timing belt/valve/exhaust job and probably at least 2 weeks from completion, so take that for what it's worth.

The biggest thing I found as a variable is the "what's broken that I didn't expect," - this has grown to several hundred dollars and potentially a few more weeks just waiting for parts to arrive. If you have a deadline for completion you should keep this in mind. Luckily, in my case my deadline is hunting season in the middle of October, so I've got a bit of time yet.

Either way good luck!

RyanY

Adventurer
Personally, I'd do it all at once. The list of "while you've got it apart" items to take care of seems huge, but once you're done and can forget about doing any significant maintenance for the next 60K miles, it's all worth it.

D

Deleted member 144409

Thanks! Now I have to stop finding excuses to not pull in it the garage, take stuff apart and make it undriveable for an unknown period of time.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
The best part is if it's in pieces in the garage you get fresh motivation to get back to work every single time you walk into the garage. :coffeedrink:

I just turned the corner and started lapping valves, it's getting exciting.

D

Deleted member 144409

That usually works with me putting stuff in front of the door of the garage so I'll take it out there. Then I walk around it for a week.

Any gotcha's for the timing belt so I can determine how much beer to have on hand?

D

Deleted member 144409

That write up is awesome! I almost cleaned the garage last night and pulled it in. Thank you!

It is getting cool and time to start switching to dark lagers...I should stock up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier