First impressions of my new-to-me '02 R50 Pathfinder....

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So I've had the Pathfinder for a week now, got it E-tested on Thursday and tagged on Friday, so now I'm legal to drive it. Drove it around town this weekend and to work on Friday and today.
So far I'm VERY impressed with this little SUV! At 14 years old and 117,000 miles it still feels tight and rattle-free. The steering is precise and the 250hp engine is really peppy and fun, especially with the 5 speed manual transmission. I'm having a blast bombing along the streets in this.
Fit and finish is impressive as well. Everything works except that there are a couple of lights out on the dash (including the one that lights up when the AC is on - the AC works, it's just that the green light doesn't come on.) I've never owned a car with a sunroof before (and never really wanted one) but I have to admit it's cool to have.
What impresses me the most, I think, are the little touches that even my Toyotas didn't have: Things like the outside temp gauge and compass in the little console above the rear view mirror, the steering wheel controls for the audio system, the automatic headlights (my Suburban has steering wheel controls and auto headlights but I never had either one on any previous vehicle.) It's reasonably quiet (quieter than even my 4th gen 4runner, at least it seems like it) and nice to drive. The clutch took some getting used to as it engages very "high" compared to my old Mazda/Ranger B2300, but now that I'm used to it I'm having fun with it.
Overall I'm just surprised these things aren't more popular. Actually, I guess they are - now that I have one I see them everywhere.
The color is interesting. I call it "root beer brown." Doesn't seem that common. I normally don't like dark colored vehicles but this one looks nice when it's clean. Tires on it are crappy Kumho's but I'll be replacing them before the first big snowstorms hit. Since the stock 255/65/16 is sort of an oddball size, I'll probably go with 235/70/16's, most likely Cooper Discoverer M+S. I had those on my 4runner and they were great in snow.
Pathfinder 04_zps1rmude0o.jpg

It absolutely will need a new head unit though. The factory AM/FM/CD/Cassette stereo is nice and looks great but has no input for my iPhone which is where I keep all my music. Any recommendations?

Triplesnake

Adventurer
Wow, that's really clean for an '02. Good find. Do you have more plans for it besides the tires and head unit? I'm assuming the head unit is a standard single DIN size? I don't have a specific recommendation yet, but I tend to look at Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, or maybe JVC. A quick trip to Crutchfield shows lots of options <$100, Let us know what you decide. I've been thinking about replacing the head unit in my '01 Xterra for the same reasons.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, that's really clean for an '02. Good find. Do you have more plans for it besides the tires and head unit? I'm assuming the head unit is a standard single DIN size? I don't have a specific recommendation yet, but I tend to look at Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, or maybe JVC. A quick trip to Crutchfield shows lots of options <$100, Let us know what you decide. I've been thinking about replacing the head unit in my '01 Xterra for the same reasons.
It's actually a double DIN unit with both the CD and cassette (too bad I got rid of all my cassette tapes last year!) Right now I'm plugging my iPhone into one of those "cassette adapters" I bought at Wally World for $5. Actually, it's a really nice head unit, if only it had an aux input jack I would probably keep it since I think it looks better than an aftermarket unit. But I can tell already that using the cassette adapter is going to be a short-term thing.
Other than tires and head unit the only other "mod" will be some inexpensive seat covers. Seats are a bit dirty and I'd rather cover them anyway just to protect them. I may spring for some Husky Floor Liners as well, I've had them in my last 3 trucks and I really like them (Wife has Weather Techs in her Honda CR-V and I don't like them as much - they slide around on the floor too easily and they're too slippery.)
Other than a few parking lot rub marks on the bumpers, this thing doesn't have a scratch or a dent on it anywhere!

TowndawgR50

Observer
Great looking R50! Ive really fallen for this series of Pathfinder. Perfect balance of interior space, exterior size, power, features and style. The tow rating is what really lured me in, we have an 18ft converted toy hauler that this pulls along without a fuss.

On the first trip with it I realized how capable they are and surprised myself as well as onlookers as it brought me out of some pretty tough trails in stock form.
I upgraded my head unit with a single DIN console and the factory speakers and amps sound fantastic with the new unit. I also run all my music through my phone but the only complaint I have is that the cig lighter isn't shielded so when plugged in and running music I get a RPM dependent interference.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Great looking R50! Ive really fallen for this series of Pathfinder. Perfect balance of interior space, exterior size, power, features and style. The tow rating is what really lured me in, we have an 18ft converted toy hauler that this pulls along without a fuss.

On the first trip with it I realized how capable they are and surprised myself as well as onlookers as it brought me out of some pretty tough trails in stock form.
I upgraded my head unit with a single DIN console and the factory speakers and amps sound fantastic with the new unit. I also run all my music through my phone but the only complaint I have is that the cig lighter isn't shielded so when plugged in and running music I get a RPM dependent interference.

I have no intention of "building up" my R50 but I have to say that looks sweet!
As for your music interference problems, does your audio deck have a USB port? What if instead of powering your phone off of a 12v outlet you just plugged it into the USB port on the deck, wouldn't that eliminate the interference?

TowndawgR50

Observer
Thanks!
My deck has a usb port, but it's read only. It doesn't charge for some reason. I just got a different brand usb/cig adapter specifically for cells and tablets hoping to solve this problem. Might be the cheap unit I'm using now.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
I was involved in car audio for a while. There are many options. If you're doing the install yourself, Crutchfield is a good 1-stop shop. But there are much cheaper online retailers. Sonicelectronix.com is reliable and authorized to sell (warranty will be honored) many brands.

If you're not going for a separate amp, Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood tend to have the best 'in-unit' power, but it's also the first compromise on the cheaper headunits.
Updating the speakers is going to be the best improvement in sound. Stock speakers are crap, and after 17 years, they're even worse. Even a $100 set will be much better.
Car Toys, a retail store that started here in Seattle, is now in Colorado. They're not a bad option if you're looking for someone else to contort under the dash for you. There are always sales. But be careful about up-selling as they tend to use really crappy units that are on sale and then try to get you into the higher-marked-up mid range units. You have to know what you want going in. I've always tried to use the local shops because I tended to spend some money and got better value from them.
In the end, the car audio business is rather shady but there are some good people out there. If you're uncomfortable, go somewhere else.

BTW, RPM-dependent noise is the result of a 'ground-loop' and providing a better ground can solve the issue. The car-harness ground is typically inadequate and routing the headunit ground to a dash frame, or other metal structure cures the issue. If using an external amp, ground-loop isolators for the RCA's are readily available.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I was involved in car audio for a while. There are many options. If you're doing the install yourself, Crutchfield is a good 1-stop shop. But there are much cheaper online retailers. Sonicelectronix.com is reliable and authorized to sell (warranty will be honored) many brands.

I'll probably just do a head unit from Crutchfield. I've done 3 Crutchfield installs over the past 4 years or so and I'm very happy with both the products and the customer service. Speakers are a possibility but honestly, I'm not much of an audiophile so I just need something that will let me listen to music on my way to work or while I drive around town.

About six years ago, I replaced the stock head unit and speakers in my 04 xterra, which is a very similar vehicle. I went with what is now the Clarion CX305 head unit, alpine speakers for the front doors with component tweeters for the A-pillars (a little work with the dremel on the A-pillar covers and they fit great) and RF 6x9 three ways for the rear cargo area. It was the best sounding $425 stereo installation I've heard and it only took me an afternoon to install it.

mickmutante

Nice pathy!! i have a 2000 R50, 3.3L... I love it, it is smooth, quiet, and great and realiable engine...
I realize why those trucks are not popular... Maybe because they are unibody?
Have fun with your truck... You can find lots of answers on NPORA forum...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94