24 year old surfer in NYC. Looking for the CHEAPEST possible van to turn into a proj.

dvnielcarter

Any suggestions for anything I could find for the 5k or less price range??

I used to have a JEEP Commander in FL, but moved to the city almost 2 years ago and have been without a truck/van ever since.

Would my best bet trying to find a Ford/Dodge Cargo Van with the lowest mileage possible and then go from there? Please help a youngin out !

My great aunt and her partner were huge in the RV scene in their day, and it looks like the gene has been passed on ! I really want to be able to explore the NY/NJ/East Coast beaches, and also possibly drive home to FL from time to time !

PLEASE ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

dvnielcarter

found a little beat up chevy astrovan in the city.

170k miles, 1999, asking 1,000 dollars but I bet they'd take 750 dollars.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I can attest to the bomb proofness of the Astro platform. Only put ACDelco/Delphi fuel pumps in them, unless you really enjoy swapping fuel pumps.

XJLI

Adventurer
Plenty of AWD Astros and Safaris on craigslist. If you want to get into a van cheap, that's your best bet. the AWD is a help, and will get you on to beach at Gilgo and MTK if that's your plan.. since I assume you surf.

DocWhiskey

Observer
Hey man, good to see another urban swell-chaser on the forum. I recently ran up against the same challenge; moved to the Bronx after being in California for the past 6-7 years. I ended up grabbing a 2011 E-250 Cargo I found in Patterson, NJ. Patience is the key for searching for a van platform out here; rust is widespread particularly on the commercial vans. I would stay away from anything that has lived it's life in the city, they're all pretty well hammered and abused. If you have the ability to travel, increase the distance of your Craigslist/E-Bay search as much as you can possibly swing it. I saw some good things on Autotrader as well.

Let me know if you need to borrow a board or hitch a ride to a break; I started shaping since I've been here (gotta do something when the summer crowds come and the swell disappears).

M35A2

Tinkerer
Just regular people can also attend one of the many auctions that NYC runs every week or so. That cuts out the Copart middleman. Since OP is in NYC, perhaps he can sit in on one or two to get the lay of the land. All sorts of vehicles come through and it is not unusual to see them with new tires and whatnot.

bhguy

Observer
Astro all the way....I have had 2 of them as plumbing vans and they were awesome on construction sites...cheap...and easy to wrench on yourself

Last edited:

maktruk

Observer
East coast dwellers also have to be wary of flooded vehicles sneaking back into the market. Lift carpeting and sniff, and look for wiring harnesses with corrosion stains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94