$200,000 vehicle budget

Touche_D

My wife and I are hoping to gather some information from people that have traveled on roads in Asia, Europe, Central America, and South America. The goals is to do the Pan America Highway then ship to Europe and travel to Asia.

The wife initially wanted a class A with a jeep toad and I wanted to just build my Tacoma up. Her option is too big for my taste and my option is not as accommodating to her. So I was hoping we could compromise in the middle. I was eyeing an EarthCruiser and she was looking at options bigger than that (GXV etc.).

I was hoping to gather some information about roads, shipping, driving/parking in towns and offroad trails. Along with recommendations for vehicles that have an accommodating interior for her and a nice footprint for world travel.

Thank you,
SD

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Hi SD,

Are you looking for a pre-built, ready to go rig? Or an option you can build up, like an ambulance conversion? If the latter, there are several of us who have been converting MDT (medium duty truck) ambulances, like Freightliner or International - they carry a lot and have full standing headroom. But, they're not a small rig. The size of your vehicle will depend, in large part, on the conditions at your destination.

When you say "Europe to Asia", to you mean western Asia (like Turkey) or across to Thailand and Vietnam?

Either way, I'm sure you'll get more info if you can give a bit more info on your vehicle and travel plans.

Have fun, regardless!

Touche_D

Hi SD,

Are you looking for a pre-built, ready to go rig? Or an option you can build up, like an ambulance conversion? If the latter, there are several of us who have been converting MDT (medium duty truck) ambulances, like Freightliner or International - they carry a lot and have full standing headroom. But, they're not a small rig. The size of your vehicle will depend, in large part, on the conditions at your destination.

When you say "Europe to Asia", to you mean western Asia (like Turkey) or across to Thailand and Vietnam?

Either way, I'm sure you'll get more info if you can give a bit more info on your vehicle and travel plans.

Have fun, regardless!

Hello Rossvtaylor! Thank you for the reply. We would prefer something pre-built. I work 50-60 hour weeks and we live in a small apartment in a big city. So I'm limited on space and time.

Honestly, trying to figure out a vehicle has been the hardest part. My biggest fear is size and getting something too big that its a struggle to get around town or cross primitive bridges etc.. My wife's biggest concern is comfort and space in the interior. I think we may end up going to the overland expo to walk through everything.

Is there a particular size of vehicle that would be considered too big? Crossing Remote bridges or parking in European towns etc.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
A Sprinter van 144 wheelbase is about the largest vehicle for driving and parking in small European towns - anything larger needs to be parked outside usually. Width is the typical issue - along with turning radius. That said - it is possible to travel in a larger vehicle - check out the thread about the family of 5 who traveled Europe and west Asia in a larger International camper truck that was the size of a large school bus - search "shachagra" for multiple posts or here is one link I had saved:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...y-Central-Asia?highlight=international+family

attachment.php

Touche_D

First, read this:

http://www.silkroute.org.uk/equipment/choosevan.htm

Then, have a look around the vehicles for sale section of this forum.

Those two activities will answer a whole lot of questions.

Thank you! Just glancing at that link it has a ton of good information.

A Sprinter van 144 wheelbase is about the largest vehicle for driving and parking in small European towns - anything larger needs to be parked outside usually. Width is the typical issue - along with turning radius. That said - it is possible to travel in a larger vehicle - check out the thread about the family of 5 who traveled Europe and west Asia in a larger International camper truck that was the size of a large school bus - search "shachagra" for multiple posts or here is one link I had saved:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...y-Central-Asia?highlight=international+family

attachment.php

I will check their post out. I'm always amazed and what some people are able to do with those huge expedition rigs.

sg1

Adventurer
I have traveled extensively in Europe and the Middle East (before the wars) and I am now traveling on the Panamericana. One thing to keep in mind is that modern diesel engines with emission control systems (dpf and def) will not work reliably in most 3rd world countries because low sulphur diesel and diesel emission fluid are not available or at least difficult to find. If you want to take a newer vehicle a gas engine is better.
A one ton pick up with a camper on a flatbed or permanently mounted on the frame could be a good compromise. Check out these http://www.tigervehicles.com or something like that http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/143766-Flatbed-and-composite-panel-build-on-Dodge-2500 . They are fairly comfortable but still compact.
Make sure that the bathroom has a usable shower and the bed is comfortable. Without this I would now be traveling alone.
Stefan

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
My wife and I are hoping to gather some information from people that have traveled on roads in Asia, Europe, Central America, and South America. The goals is to do the Pan America Highway then ship to Europe and travel to Asia.

The wife initially wanted a class A with a jeep toad and I wanted to just build my Tacoma up. Her option is too big for my taste and my option is not as accommodating to her. So I was hoping we could compromise in the middle. I was eyeing an EarthCruiser and she was looking at options bigger than that (GXV etc.).

I was hoping to gather some information about roads, shipping, driving/parking in towns and offroad trails. Along with recommendations for vehicles that have an accommodating interior for her and a nice footprint for world travel.

Thank you,
SD

I think that Lance & Michelle at EarthCruiser have one of the nicer options out there (but may be above your budget) - they are also generally limited by the modern Fuso platform which requires ULSD and DEF so maybe not exactly what you want for your objectives.

Marc at XP Camper has some interesting things going on with his XP Cube, which he is building on older Mercedes trucks. You have to provide him the truck (which he can help you source) and then he will build it up how you want.

I also saw a used GXV Fuso posted for sale here recently, maybe check that out?

Best advice I can give is come out to Overland Expo East or West and check out the vehicles that people bring and get to know the vendors. There are a lot of directions you can go in but at the end of the day you have to decide what is best for you.

Touche_D

I have traveled extensively in Europe and the Middle East (before the wars) and I am now traveling on the Panamericana. One thing to keep in mind is that modern diesel engines with emission control systems (dpf and def) will not work reliably in most 3rd world countries because low sulphur diesel and diesel emission fluid are not available or at least difficult to find. If you want to take a newer vehicle a gas engine is better.
A one ton pick up with a camper on a flatbed or permanently mounted on the frame could be a good compromise. Check out these http://www.tigervehicles.com or something like that http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/143766-Flatbed-and-composite-panel-build-on-Dodge-2500 . They are fairly comfortable but still compact.
Make sure that the bathroom has a usable shower and the bed is comfortable. Without this I would now be traveling alone.
Stefan

Great point about the emission information. I hadn't even thought about the new ultra low sulfur diesel requirements.

Haha and yes I don't think my wife would stay around if she didn't have a real toilet, shower and nice bed.

Here's one option for sale
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/136942-Expedition-Camper-for-sale

Think a trip to Overland Expo will be a very good thing for you, give you an idea of what's out there and what sense of space you need. Budget is good, but it's in a spot between XPCamper/Tiger's and larger GXV's, Earthroamer, Earthcruiser's.

May be worth talking with Mark at http://overlandex.com/

We've decided to wait and attend the Overland Expo in May before advancing on. That's a real nice expedition camper though.

Best advice I can give is come out to Overland Expo East or West and check out the vehicles that people bring and get to know the vendors. There are a lot of directions you can go in but at the end of the day you have to decide what is best for you.

Thanks! We've decided to explore some more and attend the Overland Expo.

DzlToy

Explorer
My biggest fear is size and getting something too big that its a struggle to get around town or cross primitive bridges etc.. My wife's biggest concern is comfort and space in the interior.

Is there a particular size of vehicle that would be considered too big? Crossing Remote bridges or parking in European towns etc.

It sounds like you may need a 4WD SUV and Hilton Honours card :D

There is a reason that many Europeans drive small cars (think SMART car) and many southeastern Asian cities are packed with scooters and mopeds.

Where are you going? Driving or parking a large camper in a city center is going to be difficult the world over. Do you want to play tourist and go into a city for a few days, then continue on your journey or are you passing through or around the city? Traveling across a remote narrow bridge can be challenging in a Hilux or Defender, much less in a large camper or MDT.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Essentially every road you would be traveling on, unless you are serious off-roaders, is traversable with a stock 4x4 with appropriate tires and a basic recovery system, so don't worry too much about winches and oversize tires unless you are running a heavy and cumbersome vehicle.

To save money on shipping and to have a bit more of added safety, it helps if your vehicle can be driven into a hi-top shipping container. So keep that in mind.

For a round the world trip and with a budget of $200k, I would go with an XP Camper on a 350/3500 gas regular cab truck. This allows for a small footprint, no worries about ULSD, and saves you about $60k for when the camper starts to feels too small and you spring for the nice hotel. Overland Explorer seems to make a great product if you would prefer a hard side camper with a fully inclosed shower/toilet.

Happy trails!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke