2017 LR Discovery details

johnsoax

Adventurer
I saw it in the "Build your own" in the HSE model as well.

Does not appear to be available in the SE and neither is the 2 speed transfer case.

Last edited:

vitola231

Observer
I don't know why they made this vehicle, looks like an evoque, range rover sport, discovery sport :squint:. My wife has LR4 and I like it for the interior space and hight in back which requires a square ish design and it has very good visibility, this is now gone. My l322 is very comfy and good on fuel surprisingly. I guess they know what they are doing but some of the appeal to landrover has always been the country style showroom, sales man without a tie and discovery out front parked on mountain of rocks, beyond capability they were selling a lifestyle or the dream of one. Now will have sleek tile showrooms for the guys who wear slim fit plaid shirts :(, what separates them from all the other autos now? There was likely a reason the LR4 was selling so well and this new design likely isn't it, guess jeep is feeling pretty happy right about now :)

Red90

Adventurer
I'll take the coil spring diesel for me! Anyone know if the diesel will be a NAS option? I am guessing the TDV6 will have the 18" wheel option since it says Euro has the 18" option.

19" wheels are the smallest. To get the diesel you need to get the SE with 20" wheels. No coil springs with two speed transfer case either. The transfer case and air suspension come together.

Eniam17

Adventurer
:(, what separates them from all the other autos now? There was likely a reason the LR4 was selling so well and this new design likely isn't it, guess jeep is feeling pretty happy right about now :)]

This will outsell the lr3/4 by a long shot (coming from a happy lr3 owner). What separates it from other autos ? Better break over angle than a wrangler unlimited, also better ground clearance than the unlimited. More ground clearance , water crossing ability, and better traction control than outgoing lr4, 1000 lb lighter but stronger and stiffer frame , over 8k pound towing capacity, seats 7, beautiful European styled interior.....name another mid size SUV that has all that . And at 50-60k??

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Its not a bad looking SUV and will look right at home rolling around town or even on a glamping trip to the The Hamptons. I don't however see it looking at home in any form rolling across the Kalahari or the back country of Utah.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Aesthetically I agree with those who hate how it looks. It does seem like they are now barely differentiating between models...

Will probably be excellent as a vehicle, hope they keep the electronics to a minimum (not likely considering the bear grylls commercial where all the seats are electric... interesting. The Disco sport already does super good off-road and even wades well.

My major gripe is the way you can't choose exactly what you want. To get all the stuff we care about you have to max out the trim package? Boo.

RIP TAILGATE, WAS SO USEFUL

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I seem to remember when the LR3 debuted everyone had all the same whiny comments. 11 years later still on point.

In 10 years this new Discovery will be the shiznit. And no one will ever trade it for the 6th generation of discos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Better break over angle than a wrangler unlimited, also better ground clearance than the unlimited. More ground clearance

I just realized that these numbers for the new LR that are better than the JKU is based on the the air suspension option with it set to the highest mode. Its not accurate for the coil spring models. If you added a 2 inch lift to the JKU it would probably match these numbers of the LR with the air suspension.

Cobra_R

Adventurer
Disco vs Wrangler isn't really a fair comparison...at least not anymore. I like the new Disco personally, I just wish it wasn't so expensive. Spec'd one out for $70k! Of course, in a few years that'll drop down to $40k or less but $70k for a Discovery is a bit much...Definitely be looking at getting one a few years from now though!

MrWesson

Adventurer
Disco vs Wrangler isn't really a fair comparison...at least not anymore. I like the new Disco personally, I just wish it wasn't so expensive. Spec'd one out for $70k! Of course, in a few years that'll drop down to $40k or less but $70k for a Discovery is a bit much...Definitely be looking at getting one a few years from now though!

In a world where a Wrangler can be spec'd out over 50k I'd say that while all new cars are excessively expensive the Disco isn't a stand out.

A Spec'd out LR4 is 20k more vehicle than a Rubicon Wrangler. I'm not talking about capability i'm talking about options, size, functionality day to day, power, refinement, comfort,etc.

A F150 as tested price in almost every magazine is right @ 60k.

In a world where a Wrangler can be spec'd out over 50k I'd say that while all new cars are excessively expensive the Disco isn't a stand out.

A Spec'd out LR4 is 20k more vehicle than a Rubicon Wrangler. I'm not talking about capability i'm talking about options, size, functionality day to day, power, refinement, comfort,etc.

A F150 as tested price in almost every magazine is right @ 60k.

Very true on all statements. Plus most people who buy a JK are going to add another $10-15k to that price for kit to get the most of their Rubicon. Out of the box, the LR is ready for the trail or family weekend adventure far more than a Jeep on day one IMO. At least of us like minded LR owners.

I have no problem waiting 2-3 years for a nice used one when the soccer mom is tired of her used $70k city run-about. I will most likely do the same if I go to an LR4. Get me a nice 2015, around year 2018! hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior