2017 LR Discovery details

MrWesson

Adventurer
Very true on all statements. Plus most people who buy a JK are going to add another $10-15k to that price for kit to get the most of their Rubicon. Out of the box, the LR is ready for the trail or family weekend adventure far more than a Jeep on day one IMO. At least of us like minded LR owners.

I have no problem waiting 2-3 years for a nice used one when the soccer mom is tired of her used $70k city run-about. I will most likely do the same if I go to an LR4. Get me a nice 2015, around year 2018! hahaha

Don't get me wrong comparing a LR5(calling it that don't care) to a Rubicon is an honor on the part of the LR5. IMO the Rubicon is the benchmark for an off the shelf rig.

The Disco is 80% as capable off road and 200-300% better on road and everyday...

haven

Expedition Leader
The new aluminum Discovery made its USA debut at the LA Auto Show last week. Weight savings of 1000 lb means the only power plants offered will be the 3.0L V6 supercharged gas and turbocharged diesel engines. Prices will start at $50K in early 2017.

Land Rover says the lighter weight will improve fuel economy about 14%. The 2016 LR4 with supercharged gas V6 is EPA-rated at 16 mpg combined. And that's using premium gas. A 14% improvement would mean 18.25 mpg in combined driving. Hopefully the lighter vehicle weight will help the new gasoline-powered Discovery to approach 20 mpg combined.

The diesel, a $1500 option, looks like the better choice. Last year, the EPA said to expect 24 mpg from the 3.0L diesel in combined driving. And that's in the Range Rover, a larger and heavier vehicle. A 14% increase would be 27 mpg, running less expensive diesel fuel.

Now we need to get ARB to make an aluminum bull bar to go with the all-new aluminum Discovery.

Here is an article about the new Discovery from Truck Trend. It reads like a press release, but the author says the magazine editors got to drive the new Discovery on and off road. So I expect we will see impressions of the Discovery from several auto blogs soon

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/2017...-takes-center-stage-at-los-angeles-auto-show/

The diesel, a $1500 option, looks like the better choice. Last year, the EPA said to expect 24 mpg from the 3.0L diesel in combined driving. And that's in the Range Rover, a larger and heavier vehicle. A 14% increase would be 27 mpg, running less expensive diesel fuel.

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/2017...-takes-center-stage-at-los-angeles-auto-show/

So just to confirm, NAS Disco 5 will start at $50k and have a $1500 diesel upgrade? That sounds appealing to me if true. Of course nobody will sell it at $50k but knowing the bare bones option with diesel is there, makes me feel warm and fuzzy that we can get into an LR4 replacement possibly at a cheaper price with a TDV6.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
So just to confirm, NAS Disco 5 will start at $50k and have a $1500 diesel upgrade? That sounds appealing to me if true. Of course nobody will sell it at $50k but knowing the bare bones option with diesel is there, makes me feel warm and fuzzy that we can get into an LR4 replacement possibly at a cheaper price with a TDV6.

It is too good to be true, currently the diesel is only offered on the HSE and HSE Luxury, so it's base price will be $58.950 MSRP. That includes all HSE gear though. You have to get the air suspension to get lockers, that's another 1500. totalling $60.450 for a stripper model diesel with lockers.

It is too good to be true, currently the diesel is only offered on the HSE and HSE Luxury, so it's base price will be $58.950 MSRP. That includes all HSE gear though. You have to get the air suspension to get lockers, that's another 1500. totalling $60.450 for a stripper model diesel with lockers.

Yeah and that's going to seriously limit the fully loaded diesel/locker used car sales options of the Disco community. Not many are going to be looking for those options specifically only to turn it over a few years later on the USED LR market.

That's probably putting the configuration you just mentioned at a dealer sticker price around $70k and work down from there on dealer haggling. In 2019, I'm hoping there will be a few floating around on the used market for me to buy one fully loaded.

Looks like they plan to keep the dealer price about the same as the HSE LR4 but to be honest it seems to be more bang for the buck. I sure do love the roomy cargo area of my LR3 with tall ceiling height though.

Time will tell I'm sure.

JackW

Explorer
I priced out a 2017 Discovery the way I would want it and came up with $65,265 on the build your own sheet. Basically went HSE diesel with all of the off road and towing goodies, better sound system, and the neat trailer assist package for backing up the travel trailer.
A similarly equipped Range Rover Sport came in about $11,000 more. I am planning on buying the next generation Defender when it comes out but I'm thinking of maybe buying one of the new Discoverys to drive for the two years until the Defender comes out. My LR3 is ten years old and is still a great truck for daily use but I'm a long time diesel freak and really want to try the new diesel. It doesn't help that I already own two diesel Land Rovers - a 1966 109 diesel wagon and a Defender with a 300 TDi - I drove one of the Range Rover Sport diesels at Biltmore during the Overland Expo and I'm hooked. I'm just trying to figure out which will hold a higher percentage residual value in two years when I'd be trading it in on a new Defender.

Plus - the instructor I had said he recently did a long road trip in a 2016 Range Rover Sport diesel and saw it get 37 mpg on a couple of tanks of fuel....

Last edited:
It's $2000, not 10K. It's not available with SE trim. On HSE and HSE Lux it's a $2000 charge to go from SC petrol to TC diesel.

$1500 or $2000, that's a steal for a Diesel upgrade. I'm going to look around on the site and see what options are not allowed on SE. If it comes with Diesel, NAV, and Bluetooth, I'm pretty much good! hahaha

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Has anybody played in the interior yet?

I'm one of the few who uses the 3rd row regularly and the best part about the LR3/4 third row was that my boys (and other Scouts) can use it up to about 6' tall (vs. the small child only 3rd row in most everything else). I'm hoping this doesn't change. Of course, my Disco5 (Comprimise!) will be used and in 5-6 years from now I may not have the same need.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Thanks for sharing pics! The more I see it the more I like it. I could see myself getting a diesel in about 5 years.

A.J.M

Explorer
Sat in and had a good nose round one in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago.

2.0 diesel Hse in silver, 21 inch alloys with black interior.

Prices are from £43k for 2.0 S model. Then SE, HSE and HSE lux. This is obviously for the UK market for prices and likely specs as well.
The 2.0 is a small engine, plenty of space under the bonnet.
Windscreen washer on left side, ad blue fill on right side of engine bay sides, a charging point is under the bonnet as well. Suspension air lines are also under the bonnet.

Interior is nice, seats have finally got a decent head rest compared to the fixed ones in the 3/4.
2nd row isn't as comfy as a D3/4 as the seat foam is thinner.
2nd and 3rd row can only be lowered or raised by the electric motors. Low spec models will have a manual control and DS style strap to pull.
I didn't like that idea. It's too much of a novelty feature for my liking and just something to go wrong.
The tailgate is motor driven for upper and the small boot flap. Which I feel is stupid and WILL break.
There is NO decent lower tailgate for sitting on like the D3/4 model has. Which imho is a backwords step.

Boot is 17cm wider, but not as tall, the seats folded flat don't sit as low as a 3/4 does, plus the seat back to boot seems shorter than 3/4. It's lost 50 litres of space and you won't be using it like a van like the 3/4 is.

Dash is well laid out, decent space but I'm 5.8 and under 12 stone so not the best judge for that.
Still got a few controls on a dash panel so it's thankfully not 100% touch screen. Which is miles faster than a 3/4 screen and is very up to date. Has a phone cradle built in which can take a 6S easily. How that will cope with larger phones in the future.... May get outdated very quickly the way phone sizes are going.
Decent cubby bins and such in it. Lot's of storage space.

Front bumper sits too low for my liking. It's going to get damaged off road and imho doesn't need to be anywhere near as low. I don't see how you will get an ARB or similar bumper on it as the grill and headlights are odd shapes and don't have a simple flat edge like the D3/4 has.
Likewise the back bumper and roof. It's got a spoiler so how you get a rear ladder and a roof rack on it will also be interesting.

The step in the roof is ok. It means it's 2 large glass sun roof panels instead of 3 like you got on 3/4 models. I would have brought it forward personally a bit as it doesn't seem right.
The rear doors are massive and the curve in them may make tight bays a squeeze for access.

Overall.
A nice car.
But not a Discovery as we know it. Too gimmicky and it's too mini Range Rover and less family car.
I don't think I could use one in the way I use my 3 and for it to cope.
I also don't think it will get modified in the same way the previous generations can and have been.
I didn't get much info from the people who were showing around it about factory add on's. The D3/4 could from the get go be turned into a G4 replica.

I don't see that ability with the D5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior