Goal Zero Yeti 400 for car camping

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am looking at getting a "generator" and solar panel, the yeti seems awesome. anyone have one and what are you thoughts? I am looking to run a string of LED lights around the campsite, lighting for the camp site (all low power LED) and chargeing our phones/ipad/laptops.

PA Slammer

Observer
We use ours to charge 2 cellphones and run a fan on low, sometimes all night. Charges via solar during the day. Works great.

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
I have one to run a CPAP and charge phones, tablets and other rechargeable devices. We use it to power 2 or 3 LED lights.
It is a very user friendly, convenient unit with great customer support. A little pricey but deals and discounts can be found.

kojackJKU

Cool, I dont mind the price if it works. I was looking at the anker, but for 3 times the price of the goal zero? It should be half the price. Good to hear that it works as advertised. What solar panel setup are you using and how long does it take to charge?

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
I have a Goal Zero Escape 30 briefcase solar panel. I chose that because when folded closed, it offers some protection for the panel. I am not sure if they are still available.
Goal Zero reports it will take 26-52 hours of solar power to recharge the Yeti 400 with the Escape panel if completely drawn down. I use the solar panel to "top off" the Yeti during the day while in camp and charge the Yeti with the 12volt charging cord while underway. This seems to be a good, affordable combination that does not take up a lot of room in my Tahoe
Safe travels

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I use a Renogy suitcase to charge my Goal Zero 400. I ran wires off the controller and terminated the ends with Anderson poles. The Goal Zero doesn't up date the meter on the fly if you do this but the Renogy is a lot cheaper than the Goal Zero panel. When driving, I charge from the car.

If you are a Costco member, Yeti has a road show once or twice a year. At least in our neck of the woods.

Chad

kojackJKU

Space is somewhat at a premium, we are using our patriot. I am looking at getting a sylviansport go with solor built in. So that should be of some help too.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
my dad has one that runs 4 lite a lifes, charges phones cameras and walkies, and maybe puts 1/3 charge on a laptop using the AC cord, using the yeti products or usb it'll run for freaking ever, but any wall outlet stuff puts a strain on it. that said, a 5 day trip without recharging at all, regularly charging phones and cameras, and 1/3 of a laptop plus powering 4 lite a lifes took it down to maybe 60%. Personally for yoour lights i'd try to source them from yeti, or make it ones yeti has an adaptor for plugs for

kojackJKU

Cool, thanks for the tips. Yeah, I will get a string of Goal zero lights. We are getting a 3 room tent to replace our pop up thats to big for the patriot to tow. So a string of them through the tent would be perfect and not to mention safe.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
I use a Renogy suitcase to charge my Goal Zero 400. I ran wires off the controller and terminated the ends with Anderson poles. The Goal Zero doesn't up date the meter on the fly if you do this but the Renogy is a lot cheaper than the Goal Zero panel. When driving, I charge from the car.

If you are a Costco member, Yeti has a road show once or twice a year. At least in our neck of the woods.

Chad

Can you post a few pics and some info about your set up? How do you hook up non goal zero panels to their box, size of your panels, what all you are powering? Spoke to a GZ rep who was trying to talk me out of using anything but their solar panels.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I use the Renogy suitcase which is 100 watts. https://www.amazon.com/RENOGY%C2%AE-Foldable-Suitcase-Without-Controller/dp/B00LXG4AXS

I attached 12 G wire (I think) to the screws on the charge controller and attached Anderson connectors to the other end. The wires are something like 20 feet so I can move the panel around and not have to move the Yeti.

The side of the Yeti 400 has inputs for Anderson connectors for either coupling units or attaching their solar panels. I plugged the wires coming from the charge controller into the Yeti.

The Yeti's input gauge doesn't show it getting a charge but if you turn it off and then back on it will show the increase. Since the panels have a charge controller you don't have to worry about over charging the Yeti.

Sorry that I don't have any photos, the Yeti's in the garage and the panels are in the storage shed with the rest of the camping equipment. I hope this answers your questions.

I mostly use the Yeti for powering the Dometic fridge and some led lights.

I can't remember where I read about using other solar panels but as long as there is a charge controller you don't have to worry about frying the battery in the Yeti. Like I said I haven't had any problems going this route and the thread I was reading (was it on this site?) had numerous people going the same route who also had no problems.

I paid about $50 less than the Amazon price for my Renogy suitcase buying from Renogy on eBay. At that price it is about $200 less than Goal Zero's 90 watt panels.

Chad

Last edited:

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I use a Yeti 150 to charge cell phones, keep a laptop charged, inflate and deflate a double height queen size air mattress and a few other misc. items. it lasts at least 4 days before i need to charge it, i use the 4runner to charge or will leave a Boulder panel plugged into it to keep it topped off.

i plan on upgrading to a Yeti 400 when I buy a fridge so that I can run the fridge off the yeti

i bought a yeti 1250 for work, it gets used in the field on construction sites inside buildings during shutdowns when we don't want to setup generators and have to run miles of drop cords. the guys have also used it to run a 65lb hilti rotary hammer to demo and install some parking bumpers, it lasted a couple days before blowing the fuses (which just meant a quick trip to autozone). i've been very pleased with goalzero customer service, when i was troubleshooting the blown fuses they gave me great direction for how to access and replace the fuses.
(and since i've been asked a few times if i thought it would be good for camping -- No. it would not, the thing is a tank, its heavy as ****. unless you have a very specific need, a small generator would be better than the 1250 if you need that much power. it has come in handy tailgating though running a tv and stereo and not having to listen to a generator)

kojackJKU

How long you figure the 400 can run a fridge and charge up devices for? Also, I would be connected to solar as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94