95 Montero SR questions

Hi all!

Been browsing this site/forum for a couple months now (always super interesting reading, I can't stop, I just keep coming back :)).
Well, over the past couple weeks I've become -mostly- certain that a Montero is the vehicle I'd like to get for long term travel with my wife and dog.
In my searching (lots of it) for the perfect one I've come across a clean 1995 SR with 160k miles but without any history of previous maintenance (besides consist oil changes for the last 12k miles or so), and am aware that a timing belt change may be in order.
So my question is: how much would something like that normally go for?
Currantly trying to work out the price with this fellow, and don't want to low ball him (or way over spend). Any answers are appreciated, and I hope over time I become a stable member of this community!

hammer-time

Welcome. Although I too am new, I feel there are a lot more variables at play you should consider before asking what a decent price would be:

How many owners ?
Rust ?
Interior condition ?
Bone stock or have they done any modification?
Did you run VIN?

If you can get anymore info (I PERSONALLY) think you might be looking at $2500-$3500

Good luck in your search.

jlocster

Explorer
Welcome, keep in mind that with no record of maintenance, you're looking at $1500 for engine related parts and maybe $1000 for brake and suspension/steering parts to get the truck baselined. Prepare to spend another $1000 for labor if you don't do the work yourself. Use those figures to your advantage in price negotiations.

Hey, thanks for your replies! Sadly the Montero sold before I made an offer (my fault for being kind of lazy about it), so my search continues...

Welcome, keep in mind that with no record of maintenance, you're looking at $1500 for engine related parts and maybe $1000 for brake and suspension/steering parts to get the truck baselined. Prepare to spend another $1000 for labor if you don't do the work yourself.

Wow, I've been trying to do as much research as I could but didn't realize I'd be looking at costs quite that high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior