STORM POOPER; 2007 AWD chevy express

45Kevin

Adventurer
I have the same problem.
I've been soaking my keys in the 50/50 acetone ATF all summer. No deal.
I bought an air hammer and pounded on it for an hour or so a few weeks ago. No deal.
I read on another form that the cross member can be taken off with the keys still on the bars. that's my next move. Then I can get at it with a bigger hammer.
I finally ordered a proper key clamp off Amazon. I should have it in a few weeks and will go at it again. I've already wreaked two or three C-clamps.
Keep this thread up to date if you solve the problem.

Slapmackie

Observer
I have the same problem.
I bought an air hammer and pounded on it for an hour or so a few weeks ago. No deal.
I read on another form that the cross member can be taken off with the keys still on the bars. that's my next move. Then I can get at it with a bigger hammer.
I finally ordered a proper key clamp off Amazon. I should have it in a few weeks and will go at it again. I've already wreaked two or three C-clamps.

Aw man, that sounds terrible! From what they are charging me (estimated $330), I assume they are removing the crossmember and going that route. Should know something by the end of the day, fingers crossed.

Slapmackie

Observer
There's also something that is concerning me with the van. At highway speeds my van develops this crazy sound like rumbling bass (65-75mph). The van cargo area is empty so I just assume it's like driving a huge empty can and there's going to be noise like that until I finish it out. Anyone else experienced this phenomenon? I just want to make sure it's not something else I'm not thinking about, bearings, AWD etc...

Slapmackie

Observer
I have the same problem.

So, $500 later I finally got the old rusty keys off. That includes an alignment and tie-rod end replacement. They told me they had to heat the keys up and hit them with an air hammer and that finally broke them loose. It rides great now but I will need to cut some of the fender away, it rubs a little when I hit a turn and there's a dip in the road. Now that's over I'm on to the next project. Aluminess ladder on the way, get that installed soon plus all the audio gear will be in by tomorrow. Rawk!

Slapmackie

Observer
Here's the latest and (not-so) greatest! Wired up my bar lights, sub-woofer, installed Maxxair fan, and solar panels. Hope to finish up the insulation this week!
unnamed (15).jpg
unnamed (16).jpg
unnamed (17).jpg
unnamed (18).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior