Curtain partition behind the front seats?

zuren

Adventurer
I'm told that the front seat area of our vans is the biggest offender when it comes to lack of insulation and air infiltration; the vents are open to outside air, leaky door seals, and lots of glass! A lot of RVs have a curtain behind the front seats for what I assume to be partly privacy but partly to keep the coach more comfortable. What type of curtain or blanket material should I be looking for to make an effective barrier?

Thanks!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Even the thinnest of fabrics will prevent convection and air circulation to the front and will be an effective means of increasing insulation value.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I used fleece years ago in my VW van, seemed to be helpful. I used black fleece and sewed in a long black zipper down the middle.

Jb1rd

Explorer
In my Sprinter I used a curtain rod and blackout curtains, in my B190 I used a curtain rod and a blanket, in my new rig E350EB I want to rig up a fixed slot type track and am in the process of putting together an insulated blackout curtain. Although the curtain rods are cheap and easy I like the idea of something a little more permanent and that stays in place (having to dig the curtains/blanket out, put them up and take them down kinda sucks) and easy to deploy. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.:Wow1:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I use a telescopic shower pole and insulated blackout curtains. There is sometimes well over a 50 degree difference between the cabin and cab.

I used black duck canvas from Walmart. Wife sewed a 1" loop across top. Used a 3/4" aluminum rod between two wood dowels drilled into the coat hangers on either side. Split down the middle and tied up to seat belts with short bungie when not in use.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
My mom, who absolutely LOVES to sew, will be so happy when I give her this project to do!

My mom would also, if I don't mind that she'd want to make it the way she wanted with materials she had been saving for just such a project... rather than the materials I wanted to use. Not a big deal if I don't mind materials from the 70s or 80s.

It will make a big difference... I've noticed a difference when I hang a towel across the walk through.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I too use a shower curtain rod with a dark blue mesh type shower curtain. It lets enough light thru to see in the back without a light on. You can see out while in the back, but no one can see in from the windshield. This works for changing into riding gear with privacy.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The curtain can work both ways - also good for keeping heat/cooling in the driver area when going down the road. You can get to the temperature you want a lot quicker by minimizing the conditioned space.

Slapmackie

Observer
I saw where a guy used copper piping and bent it to follow the contour of the roof, completely blocked out any light and/or air flow. Plus a black curtain on a copper rod just looks rad!:ylsmoke:

4x4pair

Adventurer
I used one of those clothes rods that stretch from one hook to the other and found an open looped curtain and just popped it on the rod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne