Dont Call it a Build Thread

howirolla

Campfire Passport
well the rover sold last night, yea! even got to keep my dual battery setup, so that's a bonus.

time to start collecting parts for the impending t-belt/plugs/lifters service I guess!

howirolla

Campfire Passport
so I haven't been able to make that lifter noise go away sadly. some days its not there at all, others its quiet but not gone, others its loud as a mutha ****a.

but I did turn my profits from the rover into this

EA0916CB-94EA-4D83-ADFF-CD70DD550345_zpsw6vhae6a.jpg

happens to be a few parts for one of my other car in there, but that should be about everything I need aside from what ever I may run into being broke or something when I start in on the work.
I feel the need to get my other car back on the road first though, would suck to be 0 for 3 on operational cars if something un-expected comes up in the middle of working on the monty.

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Well...
Chalk one up in the Land Rover column. Came out to the monty today to go to work same as always, and it won't start. The rover never left me stranded ever. But I digress. Battery tests fine, so it's not dead, but when I turn the key to start something buzzes behind the dash on the passenger side. I tried jumping it with another battery, I tried jumping it with a jump box, even tried swapping batteries and got no change. The post connectors are pretty worn out, I noticed this a while ago but figured I would tend to that when I set up my duals. Took the dash kinda apart to try and find what was buzzing, there is a large wiring connector right behind the dash speaker on that side, that's as close as I can tell what is buzzing? I held it and turned the key and it felt like it was vibrating but I can't say for sure.
Waiting till a parts store opens up and I guess I'll go get some new battery connectors?
Unless someone here knows something more on this type of issue?

howirolla

Campfire Passport
So the starter died? Ever figure out what the buzzing under the dash was?

Yea, never had one just die out of no where like that. I had the wife turn the key while I was under the rig and I could hear the solenoid click over but nothing after that so the motor was just burnt out.
no idea what the buzzing was, I assume some sort of power overload re-direction when the power to the starter wasn't doing anything cause its gone now that the motor fires right up.

howirolla

Campfire Passport
So I wanted to post this here to see if you guys thought this was a lifter tick or not before a spent a bunch of time taking stuff apart and cleaning the lifters and all that. It's not always there, and when it is sometimes it's loud like this or louder, and other times you can hardly hear it. Or it's just not there, like this week it didn't make the noise for 3 days and then randomly came back but then went away after some driving around.
[video]https://youtu.be/3mmjUs0cxGc[/video]
Let me know what you guys think.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
So I wanted to post this here to see if you guys thought this was a lifter tick or not before a spent a bunch of time taking stuff apart and cleaning the lifters and all that. It's not always there, and when it is sometimes it's loud like this or louder, and other times you can hardly hear it. Or it's just not there, like this week it didn't make the noise for 3 days and then randomly came back but then went away after some driving around.
[video]https://youtu.be/3mmjUs0cxGc[/video]
Let me know what you guys think.

Quit messing with us. You got the 3.2 diesel installed?!?!?! Sure sounds like it...

I kid, I kid. Sorry. Nothing helpful I can contribute.

you have got, most likely, an interference in a rotating assy. likely metal, and possibly inside a pump.
does temps outside change this? when is it present on repeat basis?
tthe mic made it sound to my ears like an exhaust leak pissing out past a metal heat shield. causing it to vibrate.
interference with a cam wheel ?
power steer pump empty or destroyed?

a stethoscope is what i would use now

to my ears it dont sound like a lifter and it sounds external to the block

howirolla

Campfire Passport
you have got, most likely, an interference in a rotating assy. likely metal, and possibly inside a pump.
does temps outside change this? when is it present on repeat basis?
tthe mic made it sound to my ears like an exhaust leak pissing out past a metal heat shield. causing it to vibrate.
interference with a cam wheel ?
power steer pump empty or destroyed?

a stethoscope is what i would use now

to my ears it dont sound like a lifter and it sounds external to the block

haven't noticed particular temps that cause it. there isn't much of a repeat basis, like I said sometimes I go days without hearing it and then it just shows back up, and I drive it all throughout the day. hell sometimes when I start it up cold, let it warm up for a bit, then shut it off, and start it back up again its gone.

power steering is good

I have poked around with a stethoscope and really haven't been able to narrow down where its coming from aside from being on the passenger side, near the front of the motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles