West coast travels: in a 1996 Land Rover Discovery

crystalclear

Observer
THIS THREAD WILL NOW JUST INCLUDE ONGOING TRIP REPORTS

With 100+ temps hitting the SoCal area, it was time to depart for my homeland of Arizona. In and around Sedona to be exact. With 1,000+ miles planned for this trip, I was both eager and weary to see how the Discovery would handle the heat, grades, terrain, heat, distance, and yes the heat.

With 7hrs of pavement time set for the first leg, it was off to the 10fwy and countless miles of desert and scorching sun.

After the major first portion, this was a pleasant sight to see. Canyons, mountains and a far off electrical storm.....the miles flew by for the next few days.

IMG_0329.jpg

Our first camp had us high above Sedona, and the drive down proved to be a good shake up for the trucks, and provided plenty of picture opportunities.

IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0339.JPG

When in Sedona, I guess there is no choice but to run Broken Arrow. I must say, the sheer number of pink jeep tour trucks was insane. Every turn, pink. Every 100 yards, pink. Every obstacle, pink. But nothing can take away from this special trail.

IMG_0374.jpg

Well, an intoxicating exhaust leak can. With our Broken Arrow run cut only slightly short, we spent some time fixing issues and were shortly back on the road.
With a fast moving system quickly approaching, we made for a nice spot that had a decent view. Double rainbows and all.

IMG_0378.jpg

A nice spot to have a chili dog.
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg

Our view was cut short by 30-40mph gusts and horizontal rain. So we made quick work of 40-50 miles of dirt that will have to be better explored next time.

Had a great trip, and most of all, happy to report that the 20yr old Discovery handled itself exceptionally well.

IMG_0402.jpg

Last edited:

crystalclear

Observer
The eastern sierras have so much to see. One of my favorite regions where you can mix decent technical terrain, great views and isolation.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 12

crystalclear

Observer
Thought that the desert would be a bit more tolerable with a bit of a cool off happening, so out we headed towards Anza Borrego.

It wasn't too bad at around 90 degrees or so, but we tried not to stay out in the flats for too long.
IMG_7674.JPG
IMG_7672.JPG

So we searched out some shade, and decided it was time to eat some good food.
IMG_7690.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG

Now anyone who likes the D1, surely knows of one of the best mods ever for that make - and how hard it can be to acquire an original.
The Marc Oliveras table is something I have patiently waited for and finally found one...it was worth the wait and price.
IMG_7704.JPG

Sun dropped below the walls and after some cards and watching a large spider and juvenile rattlesnack crawl into their dens, it was time to rest up.
IMG_7712.JPG

Another great trip in the books and looking forward to the next one

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles