Rigid Industries Ignite led

Pinelogcreek

Observer
Anyone have any experience with this product? Looks very interesting and I like the GoPro mount compatability. There is very little info out there on them so I thought I would reach out here. I'm thinking a cigarette lighter plug and the GoPro suction cup mount with the flood pattern would be a very versatile light around camp or making repairs. They claim 1000 lumens and less then one amp draw. All of the Rigid stuff I have is made right and I would like to hear a little about this one.

Pictures added below. I like it!

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/20521

Last edited:

Pinelogcreek

Observer
Does anyone here know where to get the two strand, black jacketed wire that Rigid uses on their lights? I can't find any jacked wire locally that is comparable.

Last edited:

Pinelogcreek

Observer
It's here, pics inside

IMG_1667.jpg
I received the light today, here are my impressions. Standard all metal rigid construction and design. About one foot of 24ga wire with pigtail ends. One mount, which appears to be as good as or better than a GoPro mount. One bolt to
secure said mount to light and one bolt to secure the mount. What is not there is the handy threaded GoPro knob that is seen in many of the pictures. A negative is that the wire is so short you immediately have to add length even if you are just going to add a cigarette lighter plug. I added about twenty foot of cord and a cigarette lighter plug so that I could get it going. The light is crisp, clear and even. This is the flood light pattern. The garage door pic is at about 25 foot with the light at head level. One other thought is that the pigtail sticks out about an inch before it could be bent up or down. Not a big deal for me but might be for others. I will use it with a GoPro suction cup mount to move it around my truck as needed. I think it will be very handy for nighttime repairs, camping ect.

IMG_1670.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Thank you for the review. I just ordered two, a flood and a diffused. With Anderson's on the end, I will be able to plug into my dash, my tailgate area and my portable solar box. They look like they might be pretty handy. I'll be able to check/confirm the amp draw with my solar setup.

Craig

edit: For wiring, if you are close to any big box home improvement stores, you can check for their solar lighting section. You can usually find 12 gauge, not sure about smaller.

Last edited:

Pinelogcreek

Observer
I will wind up with Anderson connectors also. I used some antenna rotor wire that I had, its very flexible. I will build a set of connectors with battery clips, a cigarette lighter plug and mabey a USB, given the low draw. Pretty much a ham radio connector type kit. Rigid claims .85 amps at 14v, however they say the light will run as low a six volts. I'm really impressed for the size/weight. If anyone has questions or wants other photos just let me know. The cord and the GoPro mount let me move it to any position around or below.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Uh oh, I did not see the info on 6 volts, when I ordered. This could be a game changer for me, as I have a Honda CT90 that I haul when camping. It's a nominal 6 volt system, that usually runs between 6.5-8 when operating. I'll definitely be testing this out, as the factory sealed beam is 40 year old technology and performance. Looks like the bike is going to get some Anderson's :)

Rigid also makes this light in a panel mount configuration, and that has me interested. I have a 2001 Chevy Avalanche that I am trying to figure out how to add additional front lighting for offroad. The cladding and lack of front conventional bumper make this a challenge. I have a flat vertical space on the front, where a license plate might be, where i could mount maybe 4 of these. All depends on how the light output stacks up.

Craig

derjack

Adventurer
They claim 1000 lumens and less then one amp draw. ...

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/20521

My personal opinion on LED lights are the following: As I work in an electronic industry and do know about Resources in China it is pretty sure that there are just a few manufactures producing LEDs. It´s kind of OEM an companies in US/Europe etc are just letting chinese companies produce for them ...
So there are not many differences between different LED brands.

Besides that LED are all working in between less than 10% difference in efficiency. Therefor it just makes no difference ordering LED from A or B in terms of light output. IF the manufactures gives true values out.

So there is direct relation between amps and lumen and watt. All the same.

Of course there are companies claiming 1000 lumen and they only have 800 or so. Therefor these lamps drain less than the given amount (as lightoutput has been wrong). most cheaper brands advertise with a kind of "brutto" output.

btw: I build an 10.000 Lumen LED myself: http://www.derjackistweg.de/10-000-lumen-led/ It´s simple and the LED costs between 8$ (simple quality) and 20$ in very good quality and natural light color. I mean 100 Watt LED! 10 thousand Lumen:Wow1:

It is not so much the LED they chose to use as it is the reflector and optics they use. Rigid has put legitimate research and design into the their products. Unlike some that just throw a generic reflector and a piece of universal acrylic in front for a lens. Then as you know we have to throw in some LED driver electronics in the there as well as heat control. Yeah you can buy one of those cheap generic LED lights from China, and think it is super bright but you end up with lots of glare and no stable beam shaping. Oh and who wants blue tinted lights anyway. The color range is terrible. Nothing comes close to actual daylight color temps.

Pinelogcreek

Observer
I used this light camping this weekend and I really loved it. I do observe that it is a great camp light but would seem useless for driving, at least in the flood pattern.

Pinelogcreek

Observer
I would say no as ditch lights, I have a set of rigid d2 dually lights as ditch lights, there is no comparison. To be fair the price is also not comparable. I have yet to see one in the spot pattern however. The throw seems most useful at closer distances like one would see in camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94