G320 from Japan

jlager

Hi, I'm considering a G Wagon but not being able to afford the local G500s here in Canada, I'm considering importing one from Japan (relatively easy for Canadians, especially on the west coast). There are quite a few mid 90s G320s (and some G500s) SWB and LWB in Japan with under 120,000 miles for around $12-$15k. Add another $2k-$3k to get it over to and on the road in Canada.

What would I be getting into with one of these? I know the G320s were never in North America but the engine (M104) was used in other Mercedes vehicles over here so I should be able to find parts?

Why do I want one? I absolutely love the way the look. I also do a lot of exploring on logging roads around where I live and I want something more off road capable.

One other consideration is that my wife would be driving it a lot for work so she'd spend quite a bit of time in it. I understand these aren't the most comfortable vehicles but how bad is it really? She loves the way G Wagons look but she also likes a comfortable ride...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Probably should look for a similar year / model Gwagen in your area first and take it for a test ride with her. Better to do it from a dealer's lot than from an individual seller since you aren't really serious about buying one from them...

jlager

Probably should look for a similar year / model Gwagen in your area first and take it for a test ride with her. Better to do it from a dealer's lot than from an individual seller since you aren't really serious about buying one from them...

Not going to find a similar year here unfortunately. The earliest I can test drive seems to be a 2002 G500 as I think that's around the time they were introduced to Canada? Would something like a 2002 G500 compare in terms of ride quality/comfort to say a 1995 G320? Or are they wildly different? I realize the engine is quite different but I'm not very concerned with a lot of power.

winterg300

I have a 1994 G300 SWB with 140K KM importer from Japan three years ago and I love every bit of it. I am currently working in Los Angeles and now storing at my parent house in Vancouver. If you are in the area feel free to check it out meanwhile I am still in town. Just message me on Tapatalk!

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

TechMOGogy

Observer
Where are you in Canada?
G320 will ride and drive differently than a G500
Let me know how you ship it, import it and then plate it for $2-3,000. If you can manage that you have a Massive business opportunity importing cars and trucks to Canada.
Europe shipping and import fees are well over $5k and that does not include the licensing and plating part.

jlager

I have a 1994 G300 SWB with 140K KM importer from Japan three years ago and I love every bit of it. I am currently working in Los Angeles and now storing at my parent house in Vancouver. If you are in the area feel free to check it out meanwhile I am still in town. Just message me on Tapatalk!

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I might take you up on that! Also interested in how your import process went. I'll shoot you a PM.

jlager

Where are you in Canada?
Let me know how you ship it, import it and then plate it for $2-3,000. If you can manage that you have a Massive business opportunity importing cars and trucks to Canada.
Europe shipping and import fees are well over $5k and that does not include the licensing and plating part.

Can you elaborate on how a G320 will ride differently than a G500? More or less harsh?

I'm in Vancouver. From my research, that's about right for the cost of getting it over from Japan to Vancouver. That's a general cost for vehicles from Japan from what I understand, unless for some reason a G Wagon would be more but I couldn't think of why. That's also in USD (I just assumed most people here would be from the US so used that for simplicity's sake). There are quite a few businesses in Vancouver and surrounding areas making money by importing vehicles from Japan to here so it's not exactly a new idea. There are apparently two cargo ships per week from Japan to Vancouver dedicated to vehicles. If I lived in Ontario for example though, I know it would get more expensive since you'd have to pay someone to receive the vehicle in Vancouver (unless you fly out and do it yourself) and then pay the cost of shipping it/driving it to Ontario. When I lived in Ontario I looked into a Japan import but decided against it then due to the extra hassle and cost of getting it across Canada.

Titus Pullo

Adventurer
I got one of my trucks from Japan back in 2013. It was 96 G320. Importation and registration was relatively easy and straight forwarding. My cost however was much higher as I live in Ottawa, so I choose ro-ro to Halifax and truck freight to Ottawa. All together everything was around 8K CAD.
G320 rides little harsher than G500, and despite the good M104 engine it feels anemic compare to the 500. Fuel consumption is almost the same - around 18/100 city. I liked my 320 very much though, and the Japanese maintenance is meticulous. Would not hesitate to buy another one from Japan if I need to.

jlager

I got one of my trucks from Japan back in 2013. It was 96 G320. Importation and registration was relatively easy and straight forwarding. My cost however was much higher as I live in Ottawa, so I choose ro-ro to Halifax and truck freight to Ottawa. All together everything was around 8K CAD.
G320 rides little harsher than G500, and despite the good M104 engine it feels anemic compare to the 500. Fuel consumption is almost the same - around 18/100 city. I liked my 320 very much though, and the Japanese maintenance is meticulous. Would not hesitate to buy another one from Japan if I need to.

Which company did you use to handle the whole process for you? Didn't realize they could ship to the east coast as well. I assume that means the ship went the other way around the globe?!

What unexpected costs did you have, if any? Do you think it would be worth it to find a G500 to import instead (and pay a bit more of course) due to the extra power and ride comfort?

Titus Pullo

Adventurer
Which company did you use to handle the whole process for you? Didn't realize they could ship to the east coast as well. I assume that means the ship went the other way around the globe?!
The transport to Halifax was provided by the Japanese broker that bid in my behalf for the truck on the auction. don't remember the name of the transport company but can find it in my records if need be.
The customs brokerage was done by a local customs brokers in Halifax that I work with for years - they handle all my imports through Halifax - from Europe or Japan.
The truck freight to Ottawa was with Laberge - a QC based trasnport company, they do handle all of my truck freights from US or across Canada over the years.
And no, not around the globe - just through Panama Canal.

What unexpected costs did you have, if any? Do you think it would be worth it to find a G500 to import instead (and pay a bit more of course) due to the extra power and ride comfort?
No unexpected cost - I have done quite a few imports over the last 10 years (G class only) and can calculate my costs pretty precise. Of course, +/- couple hundreds bucks - which doesnt change the big picture.
Try to find newer vehicle within your budget, being 320 or 500 wont make that big of a difference. The interior pre 1999 will be pretty much the same. A G320 with V6 will be a good option.

Scott Brady

Founder

Curious your thoughts on this, as I own a G320 and have spent a lot of time driving a G500. I have found no noticeable difference in ride. Regarding drive, the only notable change is the power difference and extra transmission cog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles