Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Series Rover guru's, need some help/advice!

Default Series Rover guru's, need some help/advice!

First question is, what exactly IS she, a Series II? What years would she be from?

Second question is, how much would she be worth? She is sitting in the front yard of a towing business with tall grass underneath and tires that have permanent creases in them from being low and never moving. The undercarriage is all rusted, though the frame looks solid (no flaking or areas that have rusted through). I didn't pop the hood since I couldn't find an owner, but I could see signs of oil seeping down from the engine and transmission.

I saw her sitting on the side of the HW and immediately thought PROJECT CAR! How much would I expect to pay for something like this, and how much (rough guesstimate of course) would it cost to restore her? I'd be interested both in a real restoration and or modernizing her with new engine/transmission. Any advice is much appreciated!

Clark White

P.S. No fellow Taco fans, this does not mean I would sell out and get rid of my beloved Toy, just add a second "toy" to the inventory.
    I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

http://clarkwhite.smugmug.com/

While I am no Guru, I can see your possible future though. I see lots of money and lots of time spent. I am a sucker for old Land Rovers and this one is a project.
    It appears they have put Series 3 wings on an older truck. Nice tropical top and deluxe bonnet. Defender upper hinges and mirror. Later model steering wheel. Overdrive ?, Lots of rust every where. I would imagine the fire wall and door sills are real rusty. Will need new springs as they are on the bump stops and are tired anyway.
    Like I said, lots of work.

Blair
    Last edited by Blair G; 06-29-2008 at 12:00 AM.

Wow, that is a lot of rust! Take a hammer and go to work on the frame. I'll bet you can punch a few holes in it very easily. And if the frame is that far gone, you most likely will end up replacing all the aluminum that it is in contact with. So unless you have another frame and another body laying around... hey, wait a minute...
    1994 RRC LWB
    1974 RHD Series III 109 - sold
    Current projects: www.seedshop.com www.mmacrue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clark White
    How much would I expect to pay for something like this, and how much (rough guesstimate of course) would it cost to restore her? I'd be interested both in a real restoration and or modernizing her with new engine/transmission.
    Looks like a $300 truck to me.

The frame looks like toast to me. Notice the holes in the frame in the second from the last photo. Still, pretty much there and finding a 109 project is getting harder and harder all the time. If you're serious about doing this truck you need to go into it with enthusiasm and deep pockets. Expect to spend $10k to get it back on the road, exponentially more to "restore" it whether you modernize it or keep it stock.
    OM616 powered 88 Land Rover
    OM617 turbo powered 109

Built, not bought

http://www.seriestrek.com

Wishful thinking and just plain ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedesrover
    Looks like a $300 truck to me.
    Yup. That is a good parts truck. A resto? More than 10K is involved. More than 3 years are involved. More than one ex-spouse could be involved.

Go with cash and a trailer.
    Michael Slade

Alaska Mike is offline Expedition Portal Moderator ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
    I was going to say $500, and I wouldn't call it a great candidate for restoration. There's going to be a lot of stuff to replace on that one, and I doubt it would be a great candidate for a rolling refurb. That one needs to be stripped down to the ground and built up.

What would you get with your initial investment? Probably a title, some drivetrain components, and some usable body panels. You could probably gut the drivetrain and get back some of your money. The 2.25L will be seriously underpowered for that kind of vehicle. Then the real project could start.

If the bulkhead is rusted, you can get most of the repair panels for the lower sections (footwells). The upper sections are more difficult, but not impossible. It really depends on how much money you want to spend.

That $10K estimate is just about right for parts alone, and that's just to get it road-worthy. That's not a purist, rivet counter estimate. A lot of time wrenching will be required before it will be safe to drive.

If you're willing to go down that road, it will be a lot of fun and a great project. However, I bet you could find a running 109 in better shape for $5K and be better off.

Trust me, I bought a $500 Rover.

Definitely no more than $500. Looks straight and fairly complete. I'd buy it as a project but not as a "restoration" project. Doing all my own work, welding, painting and mechanical work I could get that truck up to a reliable trail rig for not too much money but this would take lots of imagination and fabrication work. About 12 years ago I bought a 1969 IIa that was not far from what this truck looks like. I spent a few thousand on it and it was my trail rig for several years. I didn't buy a new frame, I took a wire wheel to the frame to clean it up and cut and patched the rotted parts. I also left the body looking weathered. Like the above said, offer $300 or less and be willing to walk away if he wants more than $500.

So what your all saying is that it's pretty much a write off...just go and shoot my dreams all the heck, I see how it is! I'm kidding, I sort of had a sneaky suspicion it wasn't worth the work and money. But hey, anyone need a parts rover!?
    I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

http://clarkwhite.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Clark White
    So what your all saying is that it's pretty much a write off...just go and shoot my dreams all the heck, I see how it is! I'm kidding, I sort of had a sneaky suspicion it wasn't worth the work and money. But hey, anyone need a parts rover!?
    I don't see it as a lost cause. I guess I'm a glass is half full kind of guy. Heck I replaced my exhaust for $89, replaced rotten outriggers for the cost of scrap steel and found a good sale on springs and shocks at British Pacific. If your motivated and don't have aspirations of turning it in to a show truck you can get this thing in good shape at a reasonable price.

That grill is worth more then the rest of the vehicle. Nothing like a good braai flavored with fresh bug juice and mystery protein.
    Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or gazelle - when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast