Used 200-Series or Tundra or 4Runner or....?

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
So does the opinion to get the best 100 or 200 you can find over a new TE 4runner still hold???

I am loving researching the dickens out of the LX470 for me and the wife, but the new TE T4Rs seem tempting for what we need it to do.

Upland80

Adventurer
I'd be curious to see this videos. There are a variety of ways to use a Land Cruiser but for "overlanding" in the broadest sense, the 100 and furthermore the 200 are superior to the 80. Now if Fordyce, the Rubicon or Moab 4+ trails mix into your needs, the 80 will trump the 100/200's IFS but I've seen faaaaaaar more broken birfs on 80's than CV's on 100's. Sure they can break but it's hardly common.

While the 100/200 have similarities to the Tundra/Sequoia, they are in fact different. Different vendor sources for parts, different suspension, Japan vs. U.S. Made including the engine, different axles, etc. The engine similarities are welcome as it makes parts availability that much better here in NA.

When I started I the Land Cruiser realm, the 80 was a "soft-core" mall crawler that would never trump the 60 Series. I heard the same about the 100 and of course we are hearing the same about the 200. Evolution never comes easy but the Land Cruiser engineering mantra to "make it better than the last" holds completely true.

Thanks for the info. I'm not dogging 100/200 models at all, I just don't have experience with IFS 4x4s. I've only had experience with solid axle 80s, Jeeps and a Scout. I watch wheeling vids on Youtube and the footage I mentioned is scattered between many and not able to be linked to a single upload. https://youtu.be/yHKWIJpScRw This one has what I believe to be a 200 snapping a CV (40 sec. mark) on an ascent that doesn't appear to be to difficult. I'm actually considering moving into a 200 is why I brought up the question originally.

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Watched a couple of the Expo episodes you were involved in. Seems you have a good bit of knowledge with regard to the different series of Cruisers. I've always considered the 80 the pinnacle of "purpose built" offerings to the U.S. By purpose built, I'm not saying the 100/200 aren't, it's just that the 80 was the last to use proprietary engines, trannys, axles, T-cases, etc. to build the ultimate exploration vehicle. The newer Cruisers (100/200) share the Tundra platforms (not that that's a bad thing). However, how do the 100/200 genuinely compare to the 80 in more extreme offroad conditions? I've watched a few Australian videos that show 4x4 "fails" where 100s and Tacos were snapping CV joints on obstacles that 80s were walking through.

The 100/200 do not share the tundra platform

Dalko43

Explorer
So does the opinion to get the best 100 or 200 you can find over a new TE 4runner still hold???

I am loving researching the dickens out of the LX470 for me and the wife, but the new TE T4Rs seem tempting for what we need it to do.

Without knowing what exactly you want to do and how much cargo (including passengers) you have to haul around, it's hard to say. This being the Landcruiser section, of course a lot here are inclined to recommend a LC. For 2-3 passengers plus associated gear and occasional towing, I'd say a 4runner trail is a good option. For the price of a well-used LC 100, you can get a 5th gen SR5. For a few thousand more, you can get a moderately used trail edition. These new 4runners are remarkably good offroad in stock form, get decent mpg, and there is a huge aftermarket if you want to pursue modifications.

Lesser used 100's and the newer 200's will fetch a premium, so you'll have to decide if that's worth it to you.

p nut

butter
Thanks for the info. I'm not dogging 100/200 models at all, I just don't have experience with IFS 4x4s. I've only had experience with solid axle 80s, Jeeps and a Scout. I watch wheeling vids on Youtube and the footage I mentioned is scattered between many and not able to be linked to a single upload. https://youtu.be/yHKWIJpScRw This one has what I believe to be a 200 snapping a CV (40 sec. mark) on an ascent that doesn't appear to be to difficult. I'm actually considering moving into a 200 is why I brought up the question originally.

I think, like cruiseroutfit said, it depends on what you intend to do. I've driven 80's. It's got the tank like feel and looks are classic. I wouldn't mind having one of those, especially with low miles like you've got. But power and comfort is definitely leagues behind the 100 and 200. If I were to go back to an LC, I would most definitely go 200 (or maybe even late model 100). But I'm not a hardcore rockcrawler, either.

MFoltz

I understand that this is a LC sub-forum and replies will be jaded, but all this talk about LC's being far superior to a Sequoia, Tundra, 4Runner or Tacoma is just that, all talk. Yeah, the interior is more plush with the LC, and it should be for the price point. I will also agree about the pedigree of the Land Cruiser, it is second to none worldwide.

With that being said, everyone on this forum seems to think that if the vehicle in question (the Land Cruiser) looks better with a roof top tent, front and rear bumpers, and a trasharoo hanging off the back than the other vehicles I am speaking of it is the only "heavy duty" vehicle that can actually work. This is just crap. The Sequoia, Tundra, 4Runner, and Tacoma are just as tough and heavy duty as the Land Cruiser. This is coming from a family with a long line of Toyota 4x4's that have been in the garage, currently with a Sequoia and 4Runner right now.

I understand that you have already bought your vehicle, have fun with it. I would do my own homework and form my own opinions about choices than always listening to someone in a jaded, one direction sub-forum.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/08/an-up-close-look-the-million-mile-toyota-tundra.html

http://theworldbyroad.com/drive-around-the-world-expedition/

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
.....but all this talk about LC's being far superior to a Sequoia, Tundra, 4Runner or Tacoma is just that, all talk.

I don't think anyone here has tried to argue LC200 is "superior" to any other Toyota truck; would be for a LC vs Ford explorer comparison. IMO most are discussing the different, and subtle, opinions on costs vs features/benefits. Owning a Toyota trucks is is a good as it gets regardless of model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior