Reducing the bulk - weekend camping

Nvydvr

If your taking a car, pack like your taking a motorcycle.
If your taking a motorcycle, pack like your taking a push bike.
If your taking a pushbike, pack like your walking.

Good in theory, but if the Mrs is coming this doesn't work!

rnArmy

Adventurer
Jeep and trailer with PBRTT.1.jpgTrailer ladder.3.jpg
As previously mentioned, a trailer is a great addition (especially with a cooler tray up front). I like to be comfortable when camping, so comfortable chairs and bedding is a requirement for me. There's a difference between camping and roughing it. There's also only so much space in the back of a TJ (even with the seat removed); hence the need for a trailer, as I don't want to be trying to strap stuff to the roof or hang stuff off a receiver hitch tray. I do know I really do need to pare down my cooking utensils and such, and I do carry a bit more stuff than I need (but some of it I think of as insurance). And I definitely want my wife to be comfortable. Trailer is a heavily modified Harbor Freight trailer; really just a metal box on a trailer frame (no tailgate, slide out drawers, fancy electricals, etc.).

Last edited:

Johnrunberg

Adventurer
We have a vanagon so can carry more than many houses... But camp is better with less stuff!

Typically we have a REI camp kitchen with food, stove, and kitchen objects. A couple camp chairs and table go next to that. Personal gear is limited to one Mountainsmith packing cube per person for 2-4days. Sleeping bags pack WAY down but in cold weather we double up the down. Fight to leave the rest at home.

When we tow the M416 the rules are the same except we load up on fire wood if it's cold.

MOguy

Explorer
What are your top tips / top gear to reduce bulk?

By the time I loaded up the sleeping pads, sleeping bags, cooler, tent, tarps, snacks, tools, etc - the entire trunk of the FJ was packed top to bottom for 2 people's worth of 'stuff'...

I found this ridiculous.

Besides going the RTT route - what other ways have you found to reduce your overall gear storage footprint?

Why do you want to reduce?

A weekend isn't that long. When I camp with the entire family I take everything to include the kitchen sink in a camper filled with all the amenities. If is just me and my oldest we take nonperishable food (no cooler no stove), just enough clothes depending on the season. Bottle water stuffed anywhere it fits, sleeping bags and tent. Toothbrush and tooth paste. We take feet warmers so we can pack less bulky sleeping bags and stay warm. We fit into my wrangler with room to spare.

Last edited:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Interesting thread.
I recently went about weighing most of the items I take on my trips and keeping that information in a spreadsheet. Mind you I have the way I pack my FWC down pretty well. Even with that it usually seemed as though I was weighed down when embarking for a trip. Over the 7ish years I've been doing more camping, things have been tailored to better suit my needs. Definitely take less when it is only me. Single chair vs. one double folding camp chair, single sleeping bag vs. 2 etc.
Most of the things I bring I do like to have and use frequently on trips. I'd bet my tool kit is more than I need and I have other items that are somewhat redundant but I like to have them i.e. Kelly Kettle.

Trip destination and duration also play a part of what is brought along. Do I need firewood? Do I need water for showering? Some places don't allow wood fires and some places have showers/bathing sources. Weight has been a primary motivator making me question having the FWC instead of say a truck shell. My friend has a truck shell and it is quite comfortable to sleep in. Even in freezing temps. Pros and cons exist with any set up.

rob103180

My rear setup. Hard to fit it all in a small SUV. I also use a large Pelican box for all bedding that rides on the roof rack. I dislike drawer systems. So much wasted space.

fd17476d16bfd1ae2fd5870984e7b67d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOguy

Explorer
My rear setup. Hard to fit it all in a small SUV. I also use a large Pelican box for all bedding that rides on the roof rack. I dislike drawer systems. So much wasted space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you there and not only wasted space but the extra weight and expense. I like bags and boxes. To help organize you could make shelves. I like to pull a bag/box out and put it where I am going to use the stuff in it.

Last edited:

D90Rovin

Observer
image.jpgI did many trips in my FJ and I always removed the rear seat (lower) and folded the seat down. I would pack around so my boxer had a nice sleep space and then I would use wolfman dry bags to pack tent and other items on the ARB rack.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior