Fuso 4x4 Crew Cab in USA

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'd like to see someone convert a US single cab to a double cab. You could buy the dual cab from Busbee's I think. I'm kinda surprised, given the amount of work that gets done on FG's by people on this board, that someone hasn't done it yet.

Last edited:

chadlanc

Adventurer
Bummer. Its the same way with the sprinter crew cab. Its weird that the crew cab models are not sold in the states.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
There is a thread here on EXPO about the conversion of an Isuzu double cab 2wd to 4wd. That would probably be the route to consider. The Isuzu is offered with an US built GM gasoline V8 also which is one solution to the problems with the modern diesel emission control problems and the availability of ULSD outside of the USA. Swapping in US truck axles also addresses the lack of lockers and the switch from dual rear wheels to singles as well which are other common problems - and it allows for a greater range of wheel options. Since the transmission on the gas engine is also a common US model there are choices for the t-case as well in addition to just running a divorced t-case.

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
Rebel Off Road will be coming out with a 'consumer priced' 4x4 conversion for the Isuzu NPR very soon. The NPR is equipped with an L96 Vortec with 297hp/372 lb-ft torque and 6 spd dual overdrive transmission.

image.jpeg

chadlanc

Adventurer
That rebelzilla is definitely cool, only concerns are getting something thats so customized fixed in rural areas and also the price. I emailed them so i'll see how $ it is.

yabanja

Explorer
I would think it was better from a keep it stock for easier service point of view to convert a single cab fg to dual cab using a cab from a 2wd model which is readily available in the US.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The best thing about the FG is the diesel reliability and fuel economy. Might as well just drive a GM pickup if you want their V8.

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
The NPR is available in a diesel also. Some people are giving the NPR gasser a serious look for travel outside of NA.

Isuzu 4HK1-TC turbocharged
intercooled diesel
5.2L
215hp @ 2,500 rpm
452 lb.-ft. @ 1,850 rpm

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I thought in the U.S. you could get either a crew cab or 4WD, but not both.

Or am I thinking of a bigger Fuso? FE maybe?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
True. USA only gets Fuso's as 2WD double cabs and single cab 4WDs unfortunately... Isuzu doesn't offer any 4WD NPRs.

Rebel's NPR kit uses ford axles so that should allow good serviceability hopefully.

DzlToy

Explorer
If you want a Fuso in a crew cab 4x4, they are relatively easy to convert. The key is to start with a 2WD truck, which uses the Aisin 68RC transmission from the Dodge 3500 chassis cab. After changing the tail shaft to a 4WD housing, the factory Dodge or any number of aftermarket transfer cases will simply bolt up to the Fuso transmission. This also eliminates the stupid Duonic design found in the USDM Canter FG.

If you wish to keep the Fuso rear axle, different wheels will be neeed back to front. A Chevy D60 fits quite well under the front of these trucks, as does a Ford Superduty D60, though more lift is required with the latter to clear the diff.

Any competent 4WD shop should be able to perform the conversion. Factory NPR springs will bolt to the GM D60, I am not sure about the Canter springs. This leaves you with OEM parts throughout the truck, i.e. nothing is custom fabricated or $$$$ parts. Hardware should run in the 5-7K range depending on your parts selection.

There is a company in Florida that will convert Isuzu NPR double cabs to 4WD for about 10 grand, drive in, drive out in 3-4 days. The conversion is not difficult to do DIY, with some experience and the proper tools. I haven't a clue what a 4WD shop would charge to do it, but being in California, you should have no trouble finding one to do the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles