Time for a change - 2005 Yukon XL

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
0e8f5095f1a0e02f78b5f30d80d7af6c.jpg

This will be replacing my 2006 H3 as my camping / exploring rig...

3/4 ton
8.1L
Fully loaded

Details as I build this out...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nice looking beast! 3/4 tons with the 8.1 aren't easy to find.

Really? When I was shopping last year I couldn't find a 2500 that didn't have the 8.1. That was a deal breaker for me because I just didn't need a 500 cubic inch motor. I would have been all over a 6.0 if I'd been able to find one.

Nice to see another one for the GMT-800 Suburban Mafia though. :sombrero:

njtacoma

Explorer
That has been my experience as well. All/most have 8.1s. It's ok because things have changed and a suburban won't work for me now.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What kind of mileage do those things get? Looks pretty mint for being 11 years old.
I think it's like a yacht: If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :elkgrin:
They do have a 37 gallon tank which is nice.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Yep, bone stock lift/tires. I will eventually go with a slightly wider tire, but not much larger. This will do duty as a tow rig, so I don't want to go too extreme.

With new coils/wires/plugs, I'm now getting 13-15 on the highway, 9-11 in town. I've only put 300 miles on it, so not a lot to go on, but I'm not expecting anything more. It's not a daily driver, so mileage is a little less important for me.

I am very very happy with the quality of the paint/interior...for being 11 years old, it's hardly used, even if it has 220k miles on it :) Mechanically it's sound, there are some electrical glitches that I'm working my way through. The idea is this will be a 10-15 year rig, so I'm fixing everything overboard in the hopes that by the time I'm done it will be ready to roll for another decade or two...

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm more convinced every day that these vehicles are a great bargain in this model range for folks who can do their own work. Parts availability and affordability seem to really be in a sweet spot. And overall other than a few quirks they are really quite reliable. And the interior room can hardly be beat, especially at their $6-13k price ranges

tbisaacs

Adventurer
I'm more convinced every day that these vehicles are a great bargain in this model range for folks who can do their own work. Parts availability and affordability seem to really be in a sweet spot. And overall other than a few quirks they are really quite reliable. And the interior room can hardly be beat, especially at their $6-13k price ranges

Agreed. GMT800 Burb is almost in a class of its own when you consider space, capability, and cost to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne