Hannibal vs. Brownchurch Roof Rack

grasshopper104

Adventurer
I'm looking to get a roof rack and want to know what you all think about these two racks. I want one that will be compatible with a roof tent and know that both of these take them.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I used to have a Brownchurch. Loved it. But if I had my choice, I'd get a Hannibal. I find no need for side rails as everything is strapped down. At times, I found the side rails got in the way.

As for resale value: Hannibal

sboada

Observer
Hannibal.... Final answer....

Just make sure you get someone to help you put it together. I know these two guys that spent an entire afternoon trying to put it together/put it on.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I have a hannibal. 10' long and I can almost pick it up with one hand, and still walk on it all day long. pretty amazing engineering. and the newer models with the slot channels are a pretty cool feature.

maxingout

Adventurer
My choice of a roof rack would depend on what I am going to do with it. If I was going to do a roof top tent plus carry eight jerry cans on the roof rack, I would use the Brownchurch.

My first Defender had a Brownchurch rack with vertical supports in the back and front (to increase the load carrying capacity) and to prevent the rain gutter from being hammered down by all the weight, especially when driving on corrugations. We bolted it through rain gutter so that it would not slide forward when going down big sand dunes.

Twice I have seen vehicles in the dunes have their roof racks slide forward when going down dune faces, because the clamps were not strong enough to keep the rack in position.

The Hannibal would suit me for less arduous conditions, and the Brownchurch would be my first choice for expeditionary travel with a full load up top.

kevb

Observer
maxingout said:
Twice I have seen vehicles in the dunes have their roof racks slide forward when going down dune faces, because the clamps were not strong enough to keep the rack in position.

Interesting point Dave but I would say the above were overloaded, no fault of the rack. I have a Hannibal on my 90 and am very happy with it. I don't like weight up top and only put lightweight, bulky stuff up there. I can lift the Hannibal on and off myself and it is a good flat platform, not too much wind noise either.

maxingout

Adventurer
If you look at the official load ranges recommended for roof racks by Land Rover, we were always overloaded on our Arabian roof racks, but because the racks were bolted through the rain gutter. they never moved an inch.

The only way you can carry those heavy types of loads without hammering/damaging the rain gutter is to put the vertical support on the front and back. The back vertical supports drop down to the bermalite on the back of the truck, and the front vertical supports drop down to the windshield clamps so all the weight isn't riding on the windshield.

When I first saw Defenders with eight jerry cans, firewood, water, spare tires, and other heavy gear on the roof rack, I thought the vehicle would be unstable. In ten years of desert travel, I have never seen a heavily laden rover tip over. I know someone who put his Defender 110 on it's side when backing diagonally down a steep sand dune, and the rear wheel on the high side engaged a grassy hummock that put the vehicle into a slow roll onto it's side. He didn't have anything on his roof rack.

A fully and heavily laden Defender looks unstable, but I don't think we were just lucky that none of our Defenders ever tipped over. If there is luck is involved, it's because we were driving one of the best expeditionary vehicles every made.

View attachment 20430

View attachment 20431

In these pictures you can see the forward vertical supports for the roof racks, and on the rack there are two boxes of firewood, one spare tire, eight full jerry cans, and additional camping gear.

I still am amazed how much these Defenders can carry and how stable they are fully loaded.

grasshopper104

Adventurer
sboada said:
Hannibal.... Final answer....

Just make sure you get someone to help you put it together. I know these two guys that spent an entire afternoon trying to put it together/put it on.

I heard about that project. Took place in Oceanside - didn't it?

overlander

Expedition Leader
maxingout said:
... If there is luck is involved, it's because we were driving one of the best expeditionary vehicles every made.

I like your enthusiasm!!! We need to meet up next time I'm in Phoenix (I'm a Sun Devil BTW). Do you have your 110 still?

maxingout

Adventurer
overlander said:
I like your enthusiasm!!! We need to meet up next time I'm in Phoenix (I'm a Sun Devil BTW). Do you have your 110 still?

I have two 1995 Defenders. The 110 is in New Zealand, and the 130 is in Australia, both fully kitted out and waiting for some new adventures.

When I got back to the USA after living overseas for 28 years, I checked on the prices of used Defenders, and I was totally blown away by the prices. It was cheaper to buy a 2002 H1 Hummer than it was to get a thirteen year old Defender.

I bit the bullet and got the H1, and it keeps me sane as I drive to work each day earning my Freedom Chips. Although my H1 is in Phoenix, in my mind I'm driving on the plains of the Serengetti or in the Ozzie outback as I navigate through metropolis in my 4x4.

When you come to Phoenix, send me a message. I work at Phoenix Indian Medical Center, and if I have not flown up to the Whiteriver Apache Indian Reservation for the day, I will be here in the valley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles