Sceptor can leaks when I pour

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The O-ring should do it. Clean your cans the best you can of any burrs. Jamming the metal gas station nozzles in them beats them up so be careful when filling. Once fixed they still dribble a little out of the vent unless you start the pour slower than I care to do it. If they leak with the cap on then the problem is the brown inner part of the lid that the gasget goes against called the flange. They crack. Usually as a result of a diesel gasget that shrunk from gasolene and it puts pressure on the ring. They crack either way and unless you know the gasget goes around a center ring you may not know it had one because they break off flush and get lost. If you place an order then buy spares or a complete cap. I own and use 11 cans to take to the dunes. At least 5 caps have been rebuilt over the last 3 years so I carry spare parts. Watch out that the clear hose does not pull out of the filler and glue it with whatever you have when it does. Silicone oil or any lube on both sides of the flange and gasket stops the caps from seizing and you won't have to crank them on so tight.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
To be clear lube the gasket material not the threads.

The cans appear to be new I actually got them as a freebie pick up here on expo. The red cap strap was on and the gaskets appear to be viton. Dang California corn gas does me no good or help at all. I thought maybe I need to wear them in a while on and off a few dozen times and the like. I use them for spare fuel storage in the garage and rotate them as often as one can a month unless money is tight then I use it all getting too work and back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
bdeafce40b95d30f1c3a9fdc531d58a9.jpg
9bc18dbc21a2b96403baed9780fd3601.jpg
410bfdd7694e3b3e8314afa5917ef607.jpg

theksmith

Explorer
i have the same setup, mine does not leak.

looks like your o-ring is shrunken and cracked, try a new viton one for gas - you can get them on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viton-O-Ring-Gasket-for-Scepter-Fuel-Can-Spout-MFC-NEW-/162204348123

also be sure you don't just turn the can completely upside down when pouring, try to tilt it so that the gas is just high enough to come out of the nozzle, but not high enough to come out the little air hole at the top of the opening.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Filled all of them today the two NATO, two mfc, two or the red scepter Costco deals and one no name stubby son of a Bee. Stabil in all the tanks I'm ready for a long hauls or a week of no fuel station visits! Gasket is on its way. The mfc I just turned til one hand wouldn't turn it any more. I diddnt out it on its side and jump on it so I don't know how sealed it really is. Is there a semi standard method y'all use besides a push it over and stand on it technique?

theksmith

Explorer
i usually just hand tighten good and with fairly new lid gaskets they don't leak even ratchet strapped down on their side.

i keep an oil filter wrench in my home-made PVC spout storage to get them loose after all day in the sun or big changes in altitude. there's at least 2 designs out there for dedicated lid wrenches: http://amzn.to/2ec7I9K - there's also folks on eBay selling a similar PVC container to what i made, but i don't think it would fit a wrench in it too.

IMG_1547.JPG

bj70_guy

Adventurer
I carry the 2 sceptre lid wrenches theksmith references. The open ended one is for the water can, the other for fuel cans. They work great.

Lucky j

Explorer
bdeafce40b95d30f1c3a9fdc531d58a9.jpg
9bc18dbc21a2b96403baed9780fd3601.jpg
410bfdd7694e3b3e8314afa5917ef607.jpg

1st picture. At about 7h00 and 8h00 you seem to have a little nick on the edge. This is where the spout gasket goes. In my case, this was enough to make them drip.

And btw, one i start emptying a can, it goes up-side straight down w/o dripping at all. When I had an old style metal spout, I was just keeping the can balance w/o holding it and it would empty in maybe just over a minute. Dang I mist that lost spout.

rayra

Expedition Leader
yep, that big notch in the lip is a problem. And you definitely need to replace that cracking O-ring. It's going to part soon anyway.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
yep, that big notch in the lip is a problem. And you definitely need to replace that cracking O-ring. It's going to part soon anyway.
This is why you never have problems with the real army spouts the cans are designed for. They seal from the inside of the opening and not the top. It's the same reason you don't have to worry about blocking your breather hole. Having an inch worth of rubber material sealing instead of a tiny 1/3" gasket makes thread nicks less likely and small nicks coverd by the massive sealing surface.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior