Extra Fuel - Anyone Done This?

tarbe

Observer
Certainly, someone has used these? http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/12503/19-gallon-marine-fuel-tank-ft1999

I have a new-to-me 2001 LX470 that I am doing maintenance on, and starting to mod.

I have a 4x4 Labs bumper on the way, with dual swing-outs. I'll have a 2-Jerry Can holder...but my goal is to be able to carry 50 gallons of fuel (I want to be able to get from Houston to my property in the Ozarks without a mandatory re-fuel).

So I am looking to add at least 15 gallons of capacity.

With the spare tire going on the bumper, I figure I ought to be able to tuck the linked tank up underneath such that even with a skid, it will not get hit off road.

I understand that gravity feed is not legal any longer in the states (for gasoline anyway), so I will need to have a transfer pump go either to into the filler for the main tank, or directly to the main (seems like the former would be easier).

I will also look into the dual filler neck that Toyota offers in the African (and maybe other?) market. Will also need vapor control. Not too worried about fuel level senders and gauges...I am enough of a redneck that I seem to always have one vehicle with an inoperative fuel gauge - so I am used to keeping track of fuel level the old-fashioned way. :)

I did some searching and did not see any write-ups on poly tanks on Cruisers, let alone the 100 series.

I love to steal knowledge whenever possible. Helps me avoid learning the hard way.

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited:

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
You should just need an Aussie market sub tank, filler neck and switch to convert it. The UZJ100 and 200 are the same as a Lexus LX470 IIRC, and I'm pretty sure there's some long range tank solutions that'll bring you up to the 145+ litre mark

calicamper

Expedition Leader
LoL.. I sold the LC and tripled my range. At 12mpg average it wasnt hard to find a rig with 3x the stock setup range. ;-) loved that dino burner but it sucked gas pump hose on 200+ mile trips.

tarbe

Observer
You should just need an Aussie market sub tank, filler neck and switch to convert it. The UZJ100 and 200 are the same as a Lexus LX470 IIRC, and I'm pretty sure there's some long range tank solutions that'll bring you up to the 145+ litre mark

Great option - if I was in Australia!

Those tanks are unobtainium here. Big $$$

squatch

Adventurer
I am making a tire winch mounted basket to hold two scepter cans in my old tire spot. A fella on here name "the dude" I believe did it a awhile back. I have a little different design but many ways to get it done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles