Outer Banks and Portsmouth Island

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Frisco campground. It seemed to have the most privacy. Is that a good spot?

It's located on the ocean side of Rt 12 in the vicinity of Billy Mitchell airfield. The airfield is a single strip and I've rarely seen it actually in use. Of the NPS campgrounds, its probably the most secluded. You can walk to the ocean easily.

From there, you can access the hwy fairly easily but if you've got 4x4, you'll have easy access to more of the oceanside. Also much of the soundside access is easier with ORV permit. I'd recommend it.

That time of year, many of the businesses will be closed as they are beach tourist and fishing oriented but there should still be gas, grocery, etc readily available. Lots of the vacation rental house owners use T-giving weekend for the last trip before closing the house down for the winter.

We enjoy beachcombing and finding some of the historical bits (graveyards, etc.)

Oconnorb

I hate to "jack" the post, but could you provide more details of your last week trip to Island? I am in Va Beach and will be going down over X-Mas break. Going to be running solo for a couple of days.

I found the ferry POC page, although to have first hand knowledge and upto date contact points would be great, I am looking to get beach permit and OVR just to be safe.

Thanks,

OC

onemanarmy

Explorer
I hate to "jack" the post, but could you provide more details of your last week trip to Island? I am in Va Beach and will be going down over X-Mas break. Going to be running solo for a couple of days.

I found the ferry POC page, although to have first hand knowledge and upto date contact points would be great, I am looking to get beach permit and OVR just to be safe.

Thanks,

OC
This thread is about 2 different, distinct beaches.

Hatteras island is part of Cape Hatteras National Seashore. You can drive there and to drive on the beach, you need a permit. Hatteras island has stores and restaurants and campgrounds.

Portsmouth island is part of the Cape Lookout National Seashore and is only accessible by private ferry, you don't need a permit, the park service has cabins for rent, and they only have ice and fuel on the island. This is the secluded island, along with Cape Lookout island.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

smlobx

Wanderer
The campground is definitely in the park. I reserved my campsite on recreation.gov.

The campground in Frisco is indeed part of the NP. The sites for the most part are nicely secluded and this time of year the bugs shouldn't bee bad. You'll have a short walk over the dunes to the beach which will be gloriously deserted for the most part.
Fishing on the beach should be pretty good.
Near the turn off of 12 to the campground there is a Native American museum.
At the end of the Island in Hatteras just near the ferry to Ocracoke there is the Musuem of the Atlantic which is a great ((and free) way to learn more about the area.
There is more but....

concretejungle

Adventurer
for portsmouth you will need to schedule the only ferry that runs to the island at Atlantic. It's called Morris Marina and the lady's name is Karri.

Like above you don't need a permit to drive on the beach. Part of the ferry fee will include the park fee since it's a national park. Dogs must be on leash at all times, make sure if you are surf fishing you have your license with the CRFL endorsement. I didn't realize there was fuel on the island.. if so i'm imagining it's for emergency and is pretty $$$. Yes, there is ice at the ranger cabin and there are some very primitive cabins at the ferry landing you can rent. I have never rented one since i'm always camping on the beach.

You pretty much just drive up the beach and find a spot to camp.

jwlester

Observer
Tell Kari we said hi and grab breakfast at the shack. Crack that morning beer on the Donza Lee and enjoy yourself. Tight lines!!

DonNico

Morris Marina is closed until March 15, so there are no vehicles being transported currently. We did, however, get the chance to explore around north of Corolla. Beach driving for miles up to the VA border. Wild horses are all over the area and we were also graced with multiple pods of dolphins. It is worth the time up there but I would still love to explore Portsmouth Island perhaps another time. I will post pics from the computer soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles