Weather monitoring for those that use a tablet

I've never felt the need for anything more than NOAA WX radio for information out beyond the next couple of hours and my own two eyes for the immediate information. But where I live there aren't hurricanes and that may change things. I'll say this that weather radio is extremely useful to me and all I need is the handheld radio I have with me anyway.

I agree that a WX radio is a very essential item. My intent was not to replace the WX radio but as a supplement. I would advise anyone to take a SkyWarn class offered for free from their local National Weather Service. It only takes a few hours and covers the basics in recognizing storm patterns. For those not familiar with SkyWarn it is designed to train civilians to be weather spotters and to report information back to NWS. No it is not storm chasers.

Rando

Explorer
I don't mean to be too much of a downer on your thread - but the chances of you ever actually needing real time radar images when out exploring are next to none (unless you are actively looking for severe weather). In terms of contingencies to hedge against, I would put this up there with carrying wasp spray in case of killer bee attacks :archaeolo

Rando you are correct in the chances of me actually needed it. If plans go the way we hope we will be spending more time exploring than actually being at home. Probably something like 90% exploring and 10% actually at home. Home will be just a place to regroup, make any changes or repairs, spending holidays with non exploring family. My odds greatly increase encountering severe weather, more so than someone living in a house. Granted with proper planning my odds can be decreased, like don't go exploring in tornado alley during tornado season, or at least keep a watchful eye out for foul weather.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I've never felt the need for anything more than NOAA WX radio for information out beyond the next couple of hours and my own two eyes for the immediate information. But where I live there aren't hurricanes and that may change things. I'll say this that weather radio is extremely useful to me and all I need is the handheld radio I have with me anyway.

^ This. I've installed Jensen Heavy Duty setups in my Jeep, 4x4 van, and pickup. I camp a lot and there's very few places even in remote Nevada/Utah/Arizona where I cannot pick up a NWS station for a week-out forecast - or weather alerts if there's something immediate and threatening. These things use the vehicle's antenna and consequently are able to pull in stations that don't register at all on my handheld weather radios. It's not unusual for me to be camped a hundred miles from the nearest town and still be able to pull in 3-4 NWS stations.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
^ This. I've installed Jensen Heavy Duty setups in my Jeep, 4x4 van, and pickup. I camp a lot and there's very few places even in remote Nevada/Utah/Arizona where I cannot pick up a NWS station for a week-out forecast - or weather alerts if there's something immediate and threatening. These things use the vehicle's antenna and consequently are able to pull in stations that don't register at all on my handheld weather radios. It's not unusual for me to be camped a hundred miles from the nearest town and still be able to pull in 3-4 NWS stations.
Do you have a mobile VHF ham radio in your truck? That with a good antenna will blow away any HT or dash radio for picking up NOAA All Hazards. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior